Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wyochris

OT: question about sea world for san diego st.

68 posts in this topic

okay sorry this is not a sports message this is a quick question about sea world for san diego st. fans

so i am thinking about going to sea world which is not cheap for the bowl but I heard that the tree huggers have caused the whale show to be scaled back. but it might still be fun to see the animals up close

my question is do you think the whale show is still worth it and how good is the rest of sea world?  and what is your advice on buying tickets

thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch the documentary Blackfish and get back to me about "treehuggers" ruining your little fishy show.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

Watch the documentary Blackfish and get back to me about "treehuggers" ruining your little fishy show.

Come on Stout, cut the poor man some slack. He's from a state where their government officials still refer to Asians as "Orientals" and psychiatric hospitals as "loony bins." 

 

 

:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last orca show, "One Ocean" is in its last season, and then there won't be one any more.  Its a decent show.

The best show in the park is the Sea Lion Show though.

Very best way is to bring someone who can get you on the Marine Corps base and buy it through the MCX.

Other than that, it won't matter much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screw seaward and their animal cruelty. I refuse to even fly Southwest Airlines until they break ties with that whale prison.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some decent whale watching cruises you could go on instead.  See em in actual nature.

http://sdwhalewatch.com/specials/

 

San Diego Zoo is very nice, if you aren't just looking for sealife.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Watch the documentary Blackfish and get back to me about "treehuggers" ruining your little fishy show.

Blackfish is about 90% flat out lies and misinformation cloaked around very little truth. One of the biggest BS documentaries ever. But it's a movie, so everyone believes it's true.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I lived in Alaska, I had some whale with some locals I knew.

Wasn't great, wasn't terrible.  It definitely was fatty.  Definitely not sushi.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have an orca in this fight, but "Blackfish" was junk journalism.  Their biggest issue seemed to be that trainers have been injured and killed by the orcas.  Duh.  When you get in the water with an apex predator, no matter how well trained, you know that you are taking a risk. 

Should orca's be maintained in captivity?  They are big dolphins, so the maybe the question is, should dolphins?  How about Sea Lions?  Or gorilla's at the zoo? 

If you are OK with zoo's I'd think that you'd be OK with Sea World...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GoCoAztec said:

I don't have an orca in this fight, but "Blackfish" was junk journalism.  Their biggest issue seemed to be that trainers have been injured and killed by the orcas.  Duh.  When you get in the water with an apex predator, no matter how well trained, you know that you are taking a risk. 

Should orca's be maintained in captivity?  They are big dolphins, so the maybe the question is, should dolphins?  How about Sea Lions?  Or gorilla's at the zoo? 

If you are OK with zoo's I'd think that you'd be OK with Sea World...

Retarded logic.  Orca's regularly travel 150+ miles a day in the wild.  Gorillas rarely travel more than 1 mile.  The biological stress is not comparable and Sea World and the city of Sand Deigo that let it happen should be ashamed.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Retarded logic.  Orca's regularly travel 150+ miles a day in the wild.  Gorillas rarely travel more than 1 mile.  The biological stress is not comparable and Sea World and the city of Sand Deigo that let it happen should be ashamed.

I don't know if this is true, so I'll take it as fact.  How do we know the relative biological stress -- is there a way to measure it scientifically? 

Wolves often travel 30 miles in a day -- what is the cutoff?  Are they too stressed to be kept in a zoo?

BTW, I just looked it up and, according to the internet, a goose can travel up 1500 miles in a day.  During the migration season, is a captive goose experiencing 10 times the stress of an orca?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Retarded logic.  Orca's regularly travel 150+ miles a day in the wild.  Gorillas rarely travel more than 1 mile.  The biological stress is not comparable and Sea World and the city of Sand Deigo that let it happen should be ashamed.

No they don't.  They put a ton of miles on, but they don't go 150 miles away from where they started.  They tend not to go far at all.  They swim around, it adds up.  There's some migration, which tacks on the distance, when they're migrating.  Mostly they're just swimming around hunting.  The biological stress is greatly exaggerated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoCoAztec said:

I don't know if this is true, so I'll take it as fact.  How do we know the relative biological stress -- is there a way to measure it scientifically? 

Wolves often travel 30 miles in a day -- what is the cutoff?  Are they too stressed to be kept in a zoo?

BTW, I just looked it up and, according to the internet, a goose can travel up 1500 miles in a day.  During the migration season, is a captive goose experiencing 10 times the stress of an orca?

A goose can travel up to 1500 miles in a day.  But they usually find a golf course long before that and set up camp for life.  :)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing about Blackfish is it was instigated and largely based off a disgruntled employee who didn't even have access to have the supposed information he brought. So the rest of the movie required playing fast and loose with the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As to the OP, I've heard that Sea World has a lot of cool stuff these days. I'd go if I were headed to San Diego.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

Funny thing about Blackfish is it was instigated and largely based off a disgruntled employee who didn't even have access to have the supposed information he brought. So the rest of the movie required playing fast and loose with the truth.

If you didn't find the scene where they separated the baby whale from its mother while the mother screamed in stress for 15 straight hours disturbing you have no soul. Watching the mother circle the tank looking for her baby made me sick. Fvck anyone that supports that place

Fvck sea word 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Byutop25 said:

If you didn't find the scene where they separated the baby whale from its mother while the mother screamed in stress for 15 straight hours disturbing you have no soul. Watching the mother circle the tank looking for her baby made me sick. Fvck anyone that supports that place

Fvck sea word 

 

Orcas don't scream. They can't make any sound out of their mouths. Congrats...you, like millions of others, are easily manipulated. Tip: the sad music being played in the background also wasn't actually present at the time.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wyochris said:

okay sorry this is not a sports message this is a quick question about sea world for san diego st. fans

so i am thinking about going to sea world which is not cheap for the bowl but I heard that the tree huggers have caused the whale show to be scaled back. but it might still be fun to see the animals up close

my question is do you think the whale show is still worth it and how good is the rest of sea world?  and what is your advice on buying tickets

thank you

If you have a Costco membership you can get a three park pass online (Seaworld, Zoo, and Safari Park).  AAA also sells tickets if you are a member.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

There are some decent whale watching cruises you could go on instead.  See em in actual nature.

http://sdwhalewatch.com/specials/

 

San Diego Zoo is very nice, if you aren't just looking for sealife.

Headed to the Zoo for the first time early next year. Won't be able to see everything in one trip, any suggestions on what I can skip and what should make the must see list?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.