Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

Which MWC bowl game is the "best"

Best MWC bowl game  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Which MWC drew the "best" overall bowl game? (however you define that)

• Gildan New Mexico Bowl - New Mexico (8-4) vs. UTSA (6-6)
    • Las Vegas Bowl - San Diego State (10-3) vs. Houston (9-3)
    • San Diego County CU Poinsettia Bowl - Wyoming (8-5) vs. BYU (8-4)
    • Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Colorado State (7-5) vs. Idaho (8-4)
    • Hawai'i Bowl - Hawai'I (6-7) vs. Middle Tennessee (8-4)
    • Motel 6 Cactus Bowl - Boise State (10-2) vs. Baylor (6-6)
    • Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl - Air Force (9-3) vs. South Alabama (6-6)

ESPN's early predictions say MWC goes 5-2.  http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18202412/41-games-42-predictions

Gildan New Mexico Bowl    - New Mexico (8-4) vs. UTSA (6-6)
ESPN projection: New Mexico 38, UTSA 27
Former LSU assistant Frank Wilson has done an excellent job in his first season at UTSA, but the Roadrunners will struggle against the nation's best rushing attack in New Mexico. Led by 1,200-yard back Teriyon Gipson, the Lobos get the win on their home field.

Las Vegas Bowl - San Diego State (10-3) vs. Houston (9-3)
ESPN projection: San Diego State 34, Houston 28
Houston brings the nation's No. 3 rushing defense to Sin City to face San Diego State's Donnel Pumphrey, a Las Vegas native who ranks second nationally in rushing yards (2,018). Who gets the edge? Houston's motivation level is a concern and Pumphrey had a big day in his return home.

San Diego County CU Poinsettia Bowl - Wyoming (8-5) vs. BYU (8-4)
ESPN projection: BYU 26, Wyoming 19
There's a common opponent here, as Wyoming beat Boise State while BYU fell a point short. But Kalani Sitake's team played a much tougher overall schedule and held its own every time out. BYU's defense is deciding factor in a low-scoring affair.

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl - Colorado State (7-5) vs. Idaho (8-4)
ESPN projection: Colorado State 45, Idaho 34
Idaho's Paul Petrino quietly did one of the best jobs in the Group of 5, especially with the Vandals soon dropping down a level, but Colorado State's powerful offense makes the difference. Nick Stevens is an emerging star and the Rams quarterback has a big night in Boise.

Hawai'i Bowl - Hawai'I (6-7) vs. Middle Tennessee (8-4)
ESPN projection: Middle Tennessee 40, Hawai'i 28
Hawai'i has home field and Middle Tennessee lost top quarterback Brent Stockstill to a broken collarbone in November. Still, it's hard not to pick the Blue Raiders, with an offense that scored 115 points in the final two games without Stockstill.

Motel 6 Cactus Bowl - Boise State (10-2) vs. Baylor (6-6)
ESPN projection: Boise State 44, Baylor 31
Baylor's season can't end soon enough, while Boise State saw its New Year's Six hopes fade with two losses in its final five league contests. The Broncos have more quality wins and a decided edge on defense against Baylor, with its offense missing Seth Russell. Boise State pulls away in the fourth quarter behind Jeremy McNichols.

Nova Home Loans Arizona Bowl - Air Force (9-3) vs. South Alabama (6-6)
ESPN projection: Air Force 31, South Alabama 21
South Alabama had one of the stranger seasons in the FBS, beating an SEC team (Mississippi State) and a league champion (San Diego State) but struggling in most of its road games. Air Force endured an October slide but boasts wins against Boise State and Navy. Troy Calhoun's coaching future is a subplot here but Air Force's defense subdues South Alabama.

My two favorite teams, Lobos and whomever plays BYU, they're a great "bad guy". SDSU might have the better matchup, but I think this will be the better game.

45 minutes ago, jdw said:

My two favorite teams, Lobos and whomever plays BYU, they're a great "bad guy". SDSU might have the better matchup, but I think this will be the better game.

You don't need the quotes.

SUDS and Houston, hands down.  I'll be watching all of them, and am definitely interested in the Wyo/BYU matchup.  Curious to see how the Pokes will travel to this one, and very curious to see if Bohl has a handle on the hate Wyo has for BYU.  Will be a good game.

Still, Vegas is the headliner this year.

Hands down vegas.  Great opponent, great destination should be a winnable game.  They deserved it with the win.  

I do wish the Hawaii bowl was developed more.  It should be a great bowl for the MW.  AF should be there this year.