Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VandalBasher

CSU vs Idaho Vandals: Potato Bowl

Did anyone else just hear Kirk herbstreet say penn state should get in ahead of Washington because Washington played Portland state and Idaho non conference this year. He went on to say p5 schools should only schedule 1 body bag game if they want to be taken seriously. Hard to believe the vandals are part of the playoff discussion. 

7 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I've got no problem playing Idaho.  We finished 5th in the conference for craps sake, we certainly can't get arrogant about who we face in a bowl game and Idaho has earned the right to be considered a legit bowl opponent for the #5 MWC team.  My issue is with the potential that we get Idaho in Boise.  "Hey CSU, I know we phucked you last year by making you play in a fledgling bowl game against a conference opponent, but we're going to go ahead and phuck you again by sending you to Boise in what will amount to a home game for the opponent".

Anytime you can get a bowl game, you should be happy.  Plenty of MWC teams won't get the chance this year, and we shouldn't be arrogant.  Here's my question.

Idaho won the right to face a MWC opponent in the AZ bowl, fair and square.  Why the hell, if that opponent is to be CSU, couldn't the game take place in Tuscon?  If indeed it's going to be a CSU @ Idaho bowl game, why did both teams get screwed by moving the game to Boise?  No travel to a sunny place reward for Idaho, and instead of Tuscon CSU has to play on the blue.  Both teams should be pissed about this...IF it is indeed how it goes down.

Said it perfect.  Thompson goes out of his way to screw us.

55 minutes ago, csufan04 said:

Said it perfect.  Thompson goes out of his way to screw us.

It's ESPN. They own the bowl. Also, you played there last year.

The Sun Belt, played a role also....Idaho is the extra team and the SB is looking after their own since Idaho isn't going to be part of the conference after next year.

Much ado about nothing IMO.  CSU finished 7-5, it's the bowl game we should expect.  Others have taken their turn in Boise... I can't complain that it's our turn this time around.  Whether it's Idaho or some MAC team so be it.  Line up and show this ESPN audience why we beat the MWC champ by 30 on their home turf.

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Much ado about nothing IMO.  CSU finished 7-5, it's the bowl game we should expect.  Others have taken their turn in Boise... I can't complain that it's our turn this time around.  Whether it's Idaho or some MAC team so be it.  Line up and show this ESPN audience why we beat the MWC champ by 30 on their home turf.

Exactly

Colorado-State-RB.gif http://s3.amazonaws.com/newscloud-production/newscloudcms/2013/09/5223f4947e85e85e0b00161e/photos/cam4476904/gallery.jpg?1378094250

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The potato bowl treats the players really well if it is any consolation.  They will have fun.

10 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

I've got my tickets. Barring something unforeseen, I should be at the Potato Bowl cheering on my conference mates.

Yep Ram fans make no mistake this will NOT be a U of I home game.  I expect nearly half the fans in the stands will be Broncos cheering on CSU.

11 hours ago, crixus said:

One of the very best bowl games I ever saw was Idaho against Bowling Green back in the 2009 Humanitarian Bowl (now the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl). The Vandals won 43-42 in an action packed game that included snow flurries. The game went back and forth from start to finish and it was a lot of fun to watch on TV. *But I don't think the Vandals will beat the Rams in this one, CSU by 7. 

Humanitarian Bowl logo.png

That was a great game!

12 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Do you think most alums would rather play in Boise or Tucson?

As an Idaho Alum, it's probably better for Idaho this game is played in Boise where there are Vandal fans & Alumni - not sure how Idaho fans travel unless the Vandals play in close proximity to where they live.

I went to the Idaho at UNLV game, but it was a 7 mile drive - Not sure I would go to a bowl game - but then i'm old & don't go to that many games of anything anymore !!

4 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

It's ESPN. They own the bowl. Also, you played there last year.

The Sun Belt, played a role also....Idaho is the extra team and the SB is looking after their own since Idaho isn't going to be part of the conference after next year.

Was going to say that the Sun Belt basically told Idaho to get lost, so the Sun Belt wasn't going to bat for Idaho in any bowl placement - And be honest these low level bolw games aren't exactly hot tickets so it's not surprising to see bowls literally take "home teams" to boost ticket sales..........LV Bowl, Poinsettia, New Mexico have all taken home teams when available - For this Tater Bowl if Idaho weren't one of the teams there might be a struggle to get 10,000 people in the stadium if it had been CSU vs a MAC team

10 hours ago, Byutop25 said:

Did anyone else just hear Kirk herbstreet say penn state should get in ahead of Washington because Washington played Portland state and Idaho non conference this year. He went on to say p5 schools should only schedule 1 body bag game if they want to be taken seriously. Hard to believe the vandals are part of the playoff discussion. 

It's not so hard to believe, I mean, your school was part of the discussion as well.  The part about being washed up and no longer relevant.

12 hours ago, Headbutt said:

I've got no problem playing Idaho.  We finished 5th in the conference for craps sake, we certainly can't get arrogant about who we face in a bowl game and Idaho has earned the right to be considered a legit bowl opponent for the #5 MWC team.  My issue is with the potential that we get Idaho in Boise.  "Hey CSU, I know we phucked you last year by making you play in a fledgling bowl game against a conference opponent, but we're going to go ahead and phuck you again by sending you to Boise in what will amount to a home game for the opponent".

Anytime you can get a bowl game, you should be happy.  Plenty of MWC teams won't get the chance this year, and we shouldn't be arrogant.  Here's my question.

Idaho won the right to face a MWC opponent in the AZ bowl, fair and square.  Why the hell, if that opponent is to be CSU, couldn't the game take place in Tuscon?  If indeed it's going to be a CSU @ Idaho bowl game, why did both teams get screwed by moving the game to Boise?  No travel to a sunny place reward for Idaho, and instead of Tuscon CSU has to play on the blue.  Both teams should be pissed about this...IF it is indeed how it goes down.

CSU tried unsuccessfully to break out of jail. Take it from SDSU, Hairball can be a spiteful SOB.

Boom goes the dynamite.

12 hours ago, crixus said:

One of the very best bowl games I ever saw was Idaho against Bowling Green back in the 2009 Humanitarian Bowl (now the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl).

Humanitarian Bowl logo.png

Should have been renamed the Inhumanitarian Bowl. Cuz it's totally inhumane to force anybody to play in a bowl game held outside in Boise in mid-December.

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yep Ram fans make no mistake this will NOT be a U of I home game.  I expect nearly half the fans in the stands will be Broncos cheering on CSU.

This is the BSU hubris I've always thought was ridiculous.  A handful of obsessed clowns sure, but half?  Half?  That's fukking absurd.  Hostile BSU fans will watch from their homes trailers and hope for the worst to happen to Idaho.  They're not going to go make Idaho look better by buying tickets and hanging out in the cold.  They're too fat, lazy, poor and entitled to do that.  Plus, it's on a Walmart sales day, so that will be circled on their calendar, not the Spud Bowl.  

17 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Where the hell did CSU think they were going to go? Would back to the Arizona Bowl have been a better choice?

To answer for CSU fans, look at the garbage Craig Thompson leaves us all with. As an example, the bowl in Santa Clara would be a great place for the loser of the MWC title game to play against a Pac school. If the MWC would guarantee selling 20K+ tickets, a deal with that bowl could conceivably be arrived at. The location is such that it's just around the corner from SJSU and within a half day drive of Fresno State and UNR and a short flight from SD, LV and Boise.

UNR went to that game in 2010 and the attendance was about 41,000. In the five years since then, attendance has been between 29,800 and 34,700. So assuming the folks who run that bowl need to placate local hoteliers and restaurants as is the case with the Poinsettia Bowl, Hairball should be able to make a good pitch for MWC participation. Of course, he IS Craig Thompson, a guy who gets paid north of $600K per year to do nothing much that any of us can see.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 minute ago, IanforHeisman said:

The last rank em thread, most CSU fans believed they were the #2 MWC team. They should win by 40+.

IFH, over the years I've developed a respect for you bordering not entirely on the negative, but if you think we're going to lose by 40 points, you are completely insane and perhaps a retard.  We might lose and we might win, but we're going to be competitive. 

1 minute ago, VandalPride97 said:

IFH, over the years I've developed a respect for you bordering not entirely on the negative, but if you think we're going to lose by 40 points, you are completely insane and perhaps a retard.  We might lose and we might win, but we're going to be competitive. 

LOL, I was poking at the CSU fan hubris. They won one meaningless game and thought they were Alabama.