Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Las Vegas Reb

Eastern Washington Beau Baldwin and Vanderbilt OC Andy Ludwig leading candidates for UNR

9 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Bobby Hauck's Montana teams would have defeated UNLV every single year he was at Montana, but his UNLV teams were still garbage.

True, but I would argue that Montana is a better football program than UNLV. They consistently sell out their stadium, likely have a similar budget, etc. 

Whereas EWU is not a particularly easy place to win. They play in a HS stadium and are overshadowed by WSU and Idaho in their already small population area.

And to be fair, Hauck did the impossible at UNLV and led you guys to a bowl game and a winning record. UNLV has literally only had 4 winning seasons in the past 30 years, looking back he appears to have performed a minor miracle.

9 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Bobby Hauck's Montana teams would have defeated UNLV every single year he was at Montana, but his UNLV teams were still garbage.

Apparently UNLV was a tough place to recruit to.  Hauck had great success at Montana but UNLV has only had 2 winning seasons in the last 25.  Even John Robinson only had 1 winning season out of 6.  Hopefully with the infusion of money from the donors & Sanchez can turn it around. 

5 minutes ago, bigd said:

True, but I would argue that Montana is a better football program than UNLV. They consistently sell out their stadium, likely have a similar budget, etc. 

Whereas IMO, EWU is not a particular easy place to win. They play in a HS stadium and are overshadowed by WSU and Idaho in their already small population area.

EWU's Roos Stadium capacity is 7,500.

Guest RoscoesDad

Give me a break with the Hauck love , he was a disaster  He didn't build anything at Montana, he just kept it going    He took over a decent program at UNLV that had won 10 games in previous 2 years with a senior Laden squad with Wolfe Payne Frank the Tank and Clayton that should have gone to a bowl game.  That team had beaten P5 teams Including ASU #14 and also a ranked Utah    He destroyed any positive momentum the program had going.  His first order of business was to run off team captain Tafua before the season started . He couldn't recruit and left the program in a shambles.  We should have just kept Sanford  

9 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Give me a break with the Hauck love , he was a disaster  He didn't build anything at Montana, he just kept it going    He took over a decent program at UNLV that had won 10 games in previous 2 years with a senior Laden squad with Wolfe Payne Frank the Tank and Clayton that should have gone to a bowl game.  That team had beaten P5 teams Including ASU #14 and also a ranked Utah    He destroyed any positive momentum the program had going.  His first order of business was to run off team captain Tafua before the season started . He couldn't recruit and left the program in a shambles.  We should have just kept Sanford  

I definitely agree about the Sanford part. As you said, he was so close to turning the corner. If his teams were playing in the current MW UNLV would likely have won 7 or 8 games. He's actually the head coach at Indiana State now, though he seems to be struggling.

Guest RoscoesDad
10 minutes ago, bigd said:

I definitely agree about the Sanford part. As you said, he was so close to turning the corner. If his teams were playing in the current MW UNLV would likely have won 7 or 8 games. He's actually the head coach at Indiana State now, though he seems to be struggling.

Sanford is just not a very likable personality.   He did a good job getting some talent to UNLV.  I actually think him and Hauck are similar.  Very good football minds and good coaches.  But head coach is just different especially at a losing program.  Hiring Hauck was a big mistake, we had Franchione begging for the job   But we just hired a new AD that had a personal grudge against Fran and stupid things like this and TKM screwing up the BB hire are the reasons why UNLV can't seem to get out if it's own way   

Personally I think UNR can do better than those 2 candidates   

16 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Good point. Sanford had 2 5-7 seasons & seemed to be headed in the right direction.  Hauck came in the next year & went 2-11.  Although Hauck did have 1 winning season, everybody thought the corner had been turned but the next year was down again.