UNLV2001

UTAH STATE AT BYU

On 2/2/2017 at 11:48 AM, cosinama said:

Yep.  He came in after his mission, sat down with the coaching staff and AD, signed his LOI and shortly after called and said he wanted to transfer.  That rubbed the AD the wrong way.  I can understand that, it was a contract and he was aware of the consequences.  The restriction was not a surprise to him, he transferred with full knowledge of the consequences.  To his credit, he hasn't complained unlike a certain bball transfer.  

I'll take Joe Tukuafu at his word; http://www.scout.com/college/byu/story/1742580-joe-tukuafu-navigating-hurdles-to-byu

In case you don't have a Scout account, here is what he said in the article:

Upon Elder Tukuafu’s return home from serving in Texas, the Utah State staff made an effort to get him to sign another National Letter of Intent, which would effectively end his recruiting process. However, Tukuafu decided to hold out.

“No, I didn’t sign but they actually tried to have me sign [again],” said Tukuafu. “I talked to my dad about it but we kind of held it off on doing that.”

He thought that after 18 months the NLI was no longer binding, but it does not look like that is the case.  He went on to say that Utah St, makes it hard on kids who try to transfer after their mission if they sign a NLI before leaving.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2017 at 0:40 AM, e-zone99 said:

I'll take Joe Tukuafu at his word; http://www.scout.com/college/byu/story/1742580-joe-tukuafu-navigating-hurdles-to-byu

In case you don't have a Scout account, here is what he said in the article:

He thought that after 18 months the NLI was no longer binding, but it does not look like that is the case.  He went on to say that Utah St, makes it hard on kids who try to transfer after their mission if they sign a NLI before leaving.

Moral of the story.... don't sign a LOI with USU unless you have no other option.

On 2/5/2017 at 0:21 AM, Jack Bauer said:

The only reason USU is doing this is to break up the Boise and BYU games so they can get a harder game at home every year instead of two hard games on the road every other.

I think we'll see another long series signed after the 1 year break, which is fine.

A voice of reason. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I don't get the comments about people don't care if they play BYU or not because they are focused on the MWC games.  Well, of course--and that doesn't change the fact that you must play 4 OOC games per year and your 8 conference games per year so its not like you are losing anything in MWC opponents by playing BYU OOC.

BYU has been a good partner for home games for Utah State.  If you look at the OOC home games Utah State has played since joining the MWC, and look ahead to future games scheduled, here are the teams who have played @ Logan:

2013 Weber State (FCS), BYU

2014 Idaho State (FCS), Wake Forest

2015 Southern Utah (FCS), BYU

2016 Weber State (FCS), Arkansas State

Here are the future games:

2017 Idaho State (FCS), BYU

2018 ? (FCS), ?

2019 ? (FCS), BYU

2020 Idaho State (FCS), Washington State

2021 ? (FCS), ?

Is there another OOC name willing to travel to Logan that is a "better" opponent to play that BYU every other year?  The skip in 2021 is understandable to give alternating games at home of Boise State and BYU--assuming the series continues 2022 and beyond (no indication that it won't).

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, Fido said:

I don't get the comments about people don't care if they play BYU or not because they are focused on the MWC games.  Well, of course--and that doesn't change the fact that you must play 4 OOC games per year and your 8 conference games per year so its not like you are losing anything in MWC opponents by playing BYU OOC.

BYU has been a good partner for home games for Utah State.  If you look at the OOC home games Utah State has played since joining the MWC, and look ahead to future games scheduled, here are the teams who have played @ Logan:

2013 Weber State (FCS), BYU

2014 Idaho State (FCS), Wake Forest

2015 Southern Utah (FCS), BYU

2016 Weber State (FCS), Arkansas State

Here are the future games:

2017 Idaho State (FCS), BYU

2018 ? (FCS), ?

2019 ? (FCS), BYU

2020 Idaho State (FCS), Washington State

2021 ? (FCS), ?

Is there another OOC name willing to travel to Logan that is a "better" opponent to play that BYU every other year?  The skip in 2021 is understandable to give alternating games at home of Boise State and BYU--assuming the series continues 2022 and beyond (no indication that it won't).

Maybe USU could get a home-and-home with Utah for the years that they don't play BYU?

That'd be a PAC12 team playing in Logan.  What is that series called?  Battle of the Brothers or something?

45 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Maybe USU could get a home-and-home with Utah for the years that they don't play BYU?

That'd be a PAC12 team playing in Logan.  What is that series called?  Battle of the Brothers or something?

Utah doesn't even want to give us a home and home.  I doubt they'd want to give USU one.  Unless they could spin it as some slight against BYU.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Utah will not play USU in Logan in either football or basketball. We have improved the schedule a bunch will membership in the MWC, and that is where we need to be focused. I'm not sure that playing another school which spend's double what we do is all that important, if we where more competitive, perhaps it would be a better deal. The fans need to understand that we are no longer a indy where the Utah and BYU games where all that mattered not the case any longer

Essentially with the resources and tradition BYU has, beating them 3 out of 10 tries is a good accomplishment. I like playing BYU. The games have been more competitive (generally) since 2010. If USU can improve this year anything can happen. That's what makes rivalry games so much fun. It's anybody's game depending on the day. 

Aside from those reasons, it's very cheap travel and the games sell out. If we were made of money I might feel different but USU needs all the financial benefit we can get. I'd love to play Utah too.

• Like 1

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

I do not think it is terrible to play them however fans judge the program on wins, and 3 wins every ten year's is not that many, also we are now in a conference filled with schools that we as fans should focus on, the conference also spend several schools that spend more money than USU just how hard do we need to schedule ? We have poor fan support which makes us play a money game on the road as it is. I think we have put the coach's in a tough place when we over schedule like we   do.

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I do not think it is terrible to play them however fans judge the program on wins, and 3 wins every ten year's is not that many, also we are now in a conference filled with schools that we as fans should focus on, the conference also spend several schools that spend more money than USU just how hard do we need to schedule ?

We have poor fan support which makes us play a money game on the road as it is. I think we have put the coach's in a tough place when we over schedule like we   do.

You are calling on USU to schedule easier OOC games in Logan?

I think USU fans are more sophisticated than that.  In my experience, USU fans get excited about big opponents, not cream puffs.

Same with BYU.  No BYU fans enjoyed playing schools like Wagner or even UMass.

11 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think USU fans are more sophisticated than that.  In my experience, USU fans get excited about big opponents, not cream puffs.

I'll agree with this. I guess I stand as the minority of usufans that wants to continue playing BYU. 

40 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I guess I'm doing that because of the increase quality of conference schools since we joined the league. My goodness BSU, AFA, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico every year plus folks like San Diego st. from the other division, as well as a money game, add in Wake Forest, as well as Washington State. That is asking a lot given the location and budget of USU.

How the hell can the sophisticated fans at USU expect to win if we schedule 8-11 schools that out spends us. As a sophisticated BYU fan you should see that as well.

If BYU gets a membership in a P-5 conference the series will end real quick. I do not understand why that has not happened, it is a real shame.

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, ole blu dude said:

I guess I'm doing that because of the increase quality of conference schools since we joined the league. My goodness BSU, AFA, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico every year plus folks like San Diego st. from the other division, as well as a money game, add in Wake Forest, as well as Washington State. That is asking a lot given the location and budget of USU.

How the hell can the sophisticated fans at USU expect to win if we schedule 8-11 schools that out spends us. As a sophisticated BYU fan you should see that as well.

If BYU gets a membership in a P-5 conference the series will end real quick. I do not understand why that has not happened, it is a real shame.

Its all about getting P5 schools to your place.   Fans get the most excited about P5 games (blue blood P5s, not the crappy ones, like a Wake Forest).

Now, I realize it is difficult to get P5s to play away games anymore.  After (maybe bigger than) P5 games is in-state rivalry games.  Don't pretend that USU fans don't care about playing BYU.  I saw huge, PUBLIC celebrations the past few times that USU beat BYU in football.  Aggies fans were thrilled to have a full year of bragging rights against BYU.  It is a fun thing.

I do think that USU has other "rivalry" games it could foster outside of BYU and UTAH.  Obviously Boise and Wyoming.  And OOC, maybe NMSU?

And yes, the Utes truly are cowards to refuse to play any games in Logan.   There is a huge difference playing games in Logan vs very loud, hostile Aggies fans.

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

Its all about getting P5 schools to your place.   Fans get the most excited about P5 games (blue blood P5s, not the crappy ones, like a Wake Forest).

Now, I realize it is difficult to get P5s to play away games anymore.  After (maybe bigger) than P5 games is in-state rivalry games.  Don't pretend that USU fans don't care about playing BYU.  I saw huge, PUBLIC celebrations the past few times that USU beat BYU in football.  Aggies fans were thrilled to have a full year of bragging rights against BYU.  It is a fun thing.

I do think that USU has other "rivalry" games it could foster outside of BYU and UTAH.  Obviously Boise and Wyoming.  And OOC, maybe NMSU?

If USU fans want P-5 schools to come to Logan then they need to be able to have a much bigger budget, attendance, and stadium then what is in place now 25,500 does not get it done.

I know many USU fans want to play BYU they just do not want to pay what is needed to  compete, given the location and budget we are over scheduled as it is. I will promise everyone that USU will continue to play BYU, It is not lost on me that many"aggie" fans want to watch their church team play. I just do not think it is wise to play so many game with schools with bigger budgets. If USU had a $45 million dollar budget, did not play a money game, and could average 35,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium perhaps it would be a good thing.

5 hours ago, ole blu dude said:

Utah will not play USU in Logan in either football or basketball. We have improved the schedule a bunch will membership in the MWC, and that is where we need to be focused. I'm not sure that playing another school which spend's double what we do is all that important, if we where more competitive, perhaps it would be a better deal. The fans need to understand that we are no longer a indy where the Utah and BYU games where all that mattered not the case any longer

I think you're really quite off with this entire post.  But, that's just me.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, madmartigan said:

I'll agree with this. I guess I stand as the minority of usufans that wants to continue playing BYU. 

I just don't see a good reason to never play BYU or Utah.  Game is cheap as far as travel, has local interest, and is always going to draw better than what you would replace it with (Sun Belt, 1aa, or MAC type of opponent, imo)

1 hour ago, ole blu dude said:

You act like that is some sort of murderer's row.  You've beaten all those teams multiple times since joining the league besides Boise.  Regarding the second bolded portion, I am quite doubtful of that.  Why would it end? It doesn't matter anyways, BYU is never getting in a league.  I think last summer was the last chance for that for a while.

BYU and USU would both still need OOC games if BYU joined a league.

I also think it's dumb you guys gave a 2/1 to Wake Forest, but won't do that with Utah or BYU.  You're complaining about budget throughout the latter part of this thread, and then you give a 2/1 to one of the worst program in FBS.

If you're going to do that, you might as well do that with BYU, with whom you had such an arrangement for years; or Utah, who I think would be glad to travel to Logan for a 2/1.