Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Nevada at UNLV - Battle for the Fremont Cannon

DATE: Saturday, Nov. 26, 2016
KICKOFF: 1:04 pm PT
SITE: Sam Boyd Stadium (35,500/SPRINTURF), Las Vegas
STREAM: ESPN3 (Dave Raymond & Tyoka Jackson)
RADIO: ESPN 1100 AM & 100.9 FM (Russ Langer & Mike Pritchard)
ONLINE: Live Stats at www.unlvrebels.com 

Wolf Pack Radio Network - 94.5 FM, 630 AM
• Ryan Radtke (Play-By-Play)
• Kevin Grimes (Color Analyst)

Nevada leads the series history against its rivals to the south, 24-17 (.598)

The 41 meetings, which include 26 straight in a rivalry that became an annual event in 1989, are by far the most UNLV has had with any opponent

The Wolf Pack has an 11-9 edge when playing the Rebels in Las Vegas

Nevada has downed UNLV in eight out of the past 10 meetings in the series history

In games when Nevada seeks to regain possession of the Fremont Cannon, the Wolf Pack is 6-9 all-time

It is Senior Day for the Rebels, who will honor 16 departing players on the field during pre-game ceremonies

This marks the ninth time in history but only the second time (2014) in 39 years that the Silver State’s only two football-playing universities will meet in the final regular-season game of a season

Winning Streaks: Dating back to 1989, the team that won the previous year’s meeting is 18-7 in retaining the trophy

UNLV’s LARGEST WIN: 38 (45-7 in 1975)

UNR’s LARGEST WIN: 42 (50-8 in 1991)

Nevada is in its 110th season of collegiate football, seeking win No. 540 in the program’s history

UNLV has seen five different players rush for at least 100 yards in a game which tied the school record set in 1974 when five combined for 13 such efforts

The Nevada defense is quickly becoming one of the most potent in terms of causing fumbles and recovering them. The Wolf Pack has caused 15 fumbles through 11

UNLV is tied for fourth in the nation with just three lost fumbles while the Rebs are tied with UNR for the MW lead with 10 fumble recoveries this fall

With his 715 yards, Charles Williams has shattered the UNLV freshman record for most rushing yards in a season, which stood for nearly two decades (James Wofford 624 in 1997)

UNLV senior DB Torry McTyer is fourth in the nation in passes defended per game with 1.5

UNLV Senior LB Tau Lotulelei leads the MW and is tied for 20th in the nation with 15.5 tackles-for loss

UNLV has scored 54 points of 14 opponent turnovers

During Nevada’s 38-37 home victory over Utah State last week, junior RB James Butler became the ninth player in Nevada history to rush for over 3,000 yards in their career

Nevada is 42nd in the nation in turnover margin at +0.27 per game

UNLV ranks 3rd in the MWC in defensive passing efficiency

Of the five longest rushing plays in UNLV history, two have come this season -  1. 91 Dalton Sneed (QB) Fresno State 2016 &  5. 85 Lexington Thomas at CMU 2016

UNLV WR Devonte Boyd finished the season ranked 3rd in career receiving yardage & 7th in career receptions

UNR  Senior WR Hasaan Henderson is closing in on eclipsing 2,000 receiving yards for his career

Nevada, Boise State, BYU and Navy are the only teams from outside the power five conferences to have advanced to 10 bowl games in the past 11 seasons

Senior S Troy Hawthorne, who came to UNLV as a QB, forced two Boise State fumbles to give him five on the season

LB  Tau Lotulelei is now ranked 5th in career tackles at UNLV 

Just one year after ranking 106th in the nation in quarterback sacks allowed with 33, UNLV is attempting to break the school record for fewest in a season

The UNLV seniors to be honored before the game:  

Jay’Onn Myles DB 2015-16 Hauled in interception vs. Idaho State in 2015

Torry McTyer DB 2013-16 Ranks 4th in nation in Passes Defended with 15

Marc Philippi FB 2013-14, ‘16 Lettered as both linebacker and fullback

Troy Hawthorne DB 2013-16 Former QB is 4th in nation with 5 Forced Fumbles

LaKeith Walls LB 2016 Former Illinois RB/LB came in as grad transfer

David Greene RB 2012-13, ‘15-16 Former defender is 2nd on team with 8 TDs this fall

Henri Jussila RB 2014 Second player from Finland to play for Rebels

Nicolai Bornand PK 2013-16 Ranks 4th in UNLV history in field goals at 70.8%

Kenny Keys DB 2012, ‘14-16 Currently has 3 INTs, 198 total tackles in career

Iggy Porchia LB 2013-16 Former LB has posted 63 TT, 3 TFL as a Rebel

Tau Lotulelei LB 2013-16 Only 5th Rebel in history with over 300 tackles (308)

Ryan McAleenan LB 2014-16 Has posted 234 TT and 8 TFL in just 3 years

Will Kreitler OL 2015-16 Leader of line named to Rimington Trophy Watch List

Andrew Price TE 2013-16 Has a career-high 3 TDs this fall

Tui Maloata DL 2015-16 Has turned in a career-high 17 TT, 2.5 TFL as senior

Dominic Baldwin DL 2013-16 Comes in with 56 total tackles as a D-lineman

How far this game fallen in fan interest except for Wolf Pack fans and probably not near as many nevada southern fans. I have no idea of how many butts in the seats there will be Saturday. The best we get is ESPN 3, lets face facts, what other fan base would be willing to watch this potential match up of MWC powerhouses?:shots:

11 minutes ago, westfan said:

How far this game fallen in fan interest except for Wolf Pack fans and probably not near as many nevada southern fans. I have no idea of how many butts in the seats there will be Saturday. The best we get is ESPN 3, lets face facts, what other fan base would be willing to watch this potential match up of MWC powerhouses?:shots:

I'm thinking this will be best attendance in the last 4 home games for UNLV - long weekend allows for travel 

2 minutes ago, Dimwhit said:

I thought this rivalry is older. Nevada has played UNLV the same number of times as Boise State (though the game this weekend will change that). Interesting.

UNLV is going to roll in this one.

Vegas was a branch campus of Nevada until the late 50s. It's only been playing football since the 60s. And basically "big timed" Nevada in the 80s cause it was an "PCAA juggernaut" (that didn't want to get its arse kicked). Lots of moving pieces to this situation.

That said, I think Vegas rolls to. Douched by a high school coach back-to-back seasons...

54 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Vegas was a branch campus of Nevada until the late 50s. It's only been playing football since the 60s. And basically "big timed" Nevada in the 80s cause it was an "PCAA juggernaut" (that didn't want to get its arse kicked). Lots of moving pieces to this situation.

That said, I think Vegas rolls to. Douched by a high school coach back-to-back seasons...

Maybe our high school, p.e. teacher coach can work with you on your grammar.

57 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

That said, I think Vegas rolls too. Douched Owned by a high school coach back-to-back seasons for all eternity...

FIFY

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Yeah, but not a ton of high impact players. Tau and Krietler (arguably McTyer, Greene and Bornand) are the big losses.

I always feel like Tau deserved to be on a better team. I will clap extra loud for him on Saturday.

Just now, toonkee said:

I always feel like Tau deserved to be on a better team. I will clap extra loud for him on Saturday.

He really exploded this year. He had all the talent in the world, but used to disappear for weeks during the seasons before (so frustrating to see). This year he has played really hard. Might be Sanchez' biggest development coup yet. Still it makes you wonder what he would've been if Sanchez was his coach during his whole career.

He is without a doubt the absolute key to our defense this year.

3 biggest defensive losses will be Lotulelie (LB) McAleenan (LB) & Hawthorne (DB/LB) - Those 3 did a lot on defense for the Rebels this season

Offensively UNLV doesn't lose much........but would have liked to see Price (TE) used more during his career - I think he could have been pretty damn good with his size 

22 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

He really exploded this year. He had all the talent in the world, but used to disappear for weeks during the seasons before (so frustrating to see). This year he has played really hard. Might be Sanchez' biggest development coup yet. Still it makes you wonder what he would've been if Sanchez was his coach during his whole career.

He is without a doubt the absolute key to our defense this year.

what sanchez has done with tau is almost unbelievable, and he has gotten the kid to bust his butt for him. there were times early on that i wanted to shake tau, and his attitude on the sideline was not good. with sanchez he has become a beast.