Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

k5james

First CFP Poll

11 minutes ago, poke em said:

Wyoming would need to lose twice and BSU would need to win out.

If UW loses only to NM and NM wins out and Boise wins out we would have a three way tie for first. all 7-1 with the loses to each other. Boise lost to UW, UW lost to NM, NM lost to Boise. (at least that's how I'm looking at the standings)

I don't think the chances of that are very likely but there is a not insignificant chance of it happeneing.

10 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Boise is the only team in this league that has that, and they earned it through years of beating good teams ooc and winning BCS games.  None of those teams you've listed have really done anything of that nature for quite some time.   

The reason neither the AAC or MWC garner a big media deal is for that very reason, there's not that much TV value in either league despite the markets.  If there was, you'd see that elusive 8 million dollar per team/year deal that the AAC fans fantasize about on their board.  I'm not saying this to run down either league, I just think that's the current reality of it.  

Yes, I KNOW.  I didn't suggest any other MW team does.  I said they had the potential to garner more nat'l recognition than most AAC schools could.  THAT IS ALL. 
And no you don't get it by having 1-2 good years.  Have to have several good years and a couple great years.  

For Wyoming, if they have a really good team, the hype expands into western S.Dakota (and I know that for a fact), into parts of Montana, western Neb. and certainly into Colorado.  Some of it is kids from some of those high schools playing or going to Wyoming etc.  But we haven't been that good to expand it beyond.  

1 minute ago, An Admirer from the East said:

two way ties are settled head to head.

three way ties in a division are settled by highest ranking team wins out, not any head to head play, according to the Idaho Statesman.  

I see. I wasn't looking at New Mexico's schedule.

GO POKES!!!

14 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Yes, I KNOW.  I didn't suggest any other MW team does.  I said they had the potential to garner more nat'l recognition than most AAC schools could.  THAT IS ALL. 
And no you don't get it by having 1-2 good years.  Have to have several good years and a couple great years.  

For Wyoming, if they have a really good team, the hype expands into western S.Dakota (and I know that for a fact), into parts of Montana, western Neb. and certainly into Colorado.  Some of it is kids from some of those high schools playing or going to Wyoming etc.  But we haven't been that good to expand it beyond.  

As long as the MWC continues to go to the recently created access bowl, the other G5 conferences will remain second fiddle. When Houston went last year the AAC quickly pounded their chest and looked down on the other G5.  We never had this problem with them during the BCS bowl era when they were basically the C-USA and they never made it to a BCS bowl.  The AAC has the advantage of EC media hype since some are located in large media markets, but they're overrated as hell. Their collective bowl records prove it.     

14 hours ago, k5james said:

ESPN has to justify that contract...

The thing that bugs me and I feel dirty even doing it is if you go by strength of schedule it should be Ohio State ahead of aTm. Who has better wins? Ohio State @ Oklahoma and @ Wisky or aTm @Auburn (who were playing terrible at the time) and Tennessee who isn't even ranked. I get that losing to Bama isn't as bad as losing to Pedo State. Even Ohio State's cupcakes are better than aTm. Bowling Green stinks but they're better than Prairie View A&M and Tulsa is 6-2 and much better than NMSU and UTSA

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

1 hour ago, just_chris said:

The thing that bugs me and I feel dirty even doing it is if you go by strength of schedule it should be Ohio State ahead of aTm. Who has better wins? Ohio State @ Oklahoma and @ Wisky or aTm @Auburn (who were playing terrible at the time) and Tennessee who isn't even ranked. I get that losing to Bama isn't as bad as losing to Pedo State. Even Ohio State's cupcakes are better than aTm. Bowling Green stinks but they're better than Prairie View A&M and Tulsa is 6-2 and much better than NMSU and UTSA

I disagree.  Pedo State is a much worse loss than Alabama.  The others are a wash, imo.  SoS on multiple sites favors TAMU by a little bit, as much as I hate to say it.  SoS favors TAMU by a lot over a team like Washington, despite the 1 loss TAMU has.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

2 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I disagree.  Pedo State is a much worse loss than Alabama.  The others are a wash, imo.  SoS on multiple sites favors TAMU by a little bit, as much as I hate to say it.

aTm's is going to go down, while OSU still has Michigan and Nebraska.  Washington may get shafted, nothing left but Wazzu and USC on their schedule.  If all win out, OSU would certainly be the one in, and in fact, all three could be in (Michigan out)

9 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

aTm's is going to go down, while OSU still has Michigan and Nebraska.  Washington may get shafted, nothing left but Wazzu and USC on their schedule.  If all win out, OSU would certainly be the one in, and in fact, all three could be in (Michigan out)

aTm will go down because they'll be lacking that 13th data point.  But, at this point, I think they have it right.  I think this is the year we see two P5 champs left out.  Louisville and B10 runner up and SEC runner up will all be compelling teams. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

3 hours ago, An Admirer from the East said:

two way ties are settled head to head.

three way ties in a division are settled by highest ranking team wins out, not any head to head play, according to the Idaho Statesman.  

For example: Wyoming wins out with the exception of a loss to SDSU.....Wyoming would win the mountain division. The only single loss that would create the 3 way tie is a loss to New Mexico and New Mexico winning out. 

tetons1.jpg

36 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Billings has always had a big Poke presence up in Montana. Lots of UW alumni working there. 

Plus there isn't a whole lot of love for Missoula in Billings.  Bozeman with MSU is a little bit better.  It is funny during work I will be talking to people in the field out of Billings offices and they say they have more in common with Wyoming folks than those west side Montanans.