Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ESPN LOSES 621,000 CUSTOMERS IN ONE MONTH

2 hours ago, TK_05 said:

ok? so you're not a basketball fan? 

the nba generates maybe half the excitement and fans as ncaa basketball? uhh... no?

On the contrary, I'm a huge basketball fan. I follow the entire college season.

Uhh, yes. How many NBA teams are there? How many NCAA teams are there? 32M people attend NCAA Baskeball each season. That's about 50% more than the NBA at 21M.

March Madness brackets alone generate over $9 billion in wagering, and that's just 34 games. How much does the NBA generate?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

2 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Over 120,000. That's based on graduates. When non-grads are factored in, it's around 250k.

That's legit. IIRC Nevada is not even close to 100k.

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

24 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Uhh, yes. How many NBA teams are there? How many NCAA teams are there? 32M people attend NCAA Baskeball each season. That's about 50% more than the NBA at 21M.

March Madness brackets alone generate over $9 billion in wagering, and that's just 34 games. How much does the NBA generate?

I wasn't aware of that huge NCAA vs. NBA attendance disparity. I get folks buying absurdly priced NBA season tickets when they can write them off their income tax as a business expense but I find it mindboggling anybody would lay out that kind of money if they can't and aren't very rich. Same for the NFL for that matter.

Boom goes the dynamite.

This couldn't happen to a more deserving network. ESPN has ruined college football with their influence and meddling. As a general rule, I will not watch P5 athletics, exclusive channels (I.e. PAC12 network BYU Tv, BIG12 network) and will complain to my cable provider every time I can about ESPN's lack of local content. Just like the bowl games (many of which are owned by ESPN and jaundiced as a result) the market is over saturated. Monday Night Football while it used to be a family event is no longer watched unless the Chargers (or anther team of interest) are on and will always watch on the local channel instead of the network whenever possible. I really don't care about the dynamic causing them to lose viewers, only that they are and that warms my heart.

3 hours ago, Akkula said:

I have often said that CSU just needs to get on a local OTA station like Denver's 2, play games at a good time, and focus on building a local fanbase while streaming the feed nationally online.  It is so easy to get an app on Roku or something.  This trend is more about democritizing the ability to broadcast and build your own audience without having a central entity like ESPN pushing you onto their network to hype you.

Schools like CSU, AFA, and SDSU with a good "natural market" where they can build will be benefactors if they can get onto local OTA stations.  It is ridiculous that people in Denver have a hard time finding the CSU game or the CU game with their shitty TV deals that bury them on obscure networks.

Look no further than ROOT.  We get better start times and a better production.  Just no national distribution.  It's great for the front range.  It only sucks for the west coast schools playing in Denver.  I think that's about as close to a local OTA as you're going to get until we become 'Bama.  Just not enough ad revenue for channel 9 for instance to make that commitment.  Of course I doubt we make a nickel off of those ROOT broadcasts.

30 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

so you're a huge college basketball fan, not a huge basketball fan... gotcha

and what? who cares about how many teams there are. one is collegiate, one is professional. like... no +++++ing duh there's more college teams... what's your point?

and wagering? so march madness has like 2% of total wagers in a year? is that impressive? and you're talking about "march madness" that is an event and not just specific to cbb/basketball or even sports fans

i mean you're obviously being an idiot here but i have no idea what you're trying to say? that march madness is huge? that people care more about college basketball than the nba? does any of this matter, you're not an nba fan... we get it

Just now, TK_05 said:

so you're a huge college basketball fan, not a huge basketball fan... gotcha

and what? who cares about how many teams there are. one is collegiate, one is professional. like... no +++++ing duh there's more college teams... what's your point?

and wagering? so march madness has like 2% of total wagers in a year? is that impressive? and you're talking about "march madness" that is an event and not just specific to cbb/basketball or even sports fans

i mean you're obviously being an idiot here but i have no idea what you're trying to say? that march madness is huge? that people care more about college basketball than the nba? does any of this matter, you're not an nba fan... we get it

If you don't understand what's glaringly obvious, who's the idiot? Sorry, I can't fix stupid...

NBA Basketball is to the game of basketball as Cristal is to Champagne- overpriced and avoided by true oenophiles. All style, no substance...

4 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

If you don't understand what's glaringly obvious, who's the idiot? Sorry, I can't fix stupid...

NBA Basketball is to the game of basketball as Cristal is to Champagne- overpriced and avoided by true oenophiles. All style, no substance...

oh ya, almost forgot you're the guy who states opinion as fact

5 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

oh ya, almost forgot you're the guy who states opinion as fact

Or do I make a case, then back it up with facts? Then, instead of supporting your own poorly thought-out narrative with facts, do you instead post comments like, "oh ya, almost forgot you're the guy who states opinion as fact"?

Could it be that the problem is that everything you think you "know" just isn't so? Did you assume your view was true because it's how you see things, or did you bother to look into it?

17 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Or do I make a case, then back it up with facts? Then, instead of supporting your own poorly thought-out narrative with facts, do you instead post comments like, "oh ya, almost forgot you're the guy who states opinion as fact"?

Could it be that the problem is that everything you think you "know" just isn't so? Did you assume your view was true because it's how you see things, or did you bother to look into it?

uhh... we're talking about opinions here bud. like i said, you state your opinion and pass it as fact. i dunno how saying that the nba sucks and college basketball is better (" NBA Basketball is to the game of basketball as Cristal is to Champagne- overpriced and avoided by true oenophiles. All style, no substance...) is at all a fact. i know you so badly want everything you say and think to be true but it's just true in your own little world bud

i understand this is a college message board and that it's far more likely that people are fans of college basketball and not the nba but please don't pretend like college basketball is better "because you said so"

you think that $9 billion in a $400 billion dollar industry is a substantial amount. i have no idea how much money is bet on nba basketball. i'm not sure why this matters. college basketball is not more popular than nba basketball. the nba is a global brand, college basketball isn't. the nba has huge sports personalities, college basketball doesn't. you can like college basketball more than the nba. you can not like the nba. you can have any opinion you want and rant and rave to your little hearts desire but it doesn't make it true. the 7 games of the nba finals averaged more viewers than last years championships game. the nba is a bigger, more viewed sport than college basketball. those are the facts. sry bud

3 hours ago, AztecSU said:

College sports just offer way more novelty and emotion than pros. This is why I prefer CFB and MBB to the NFL/NBA. I can see that obviously execution is far better at the pro level, but the outcomes are also far more predictable and the chance of seeing something unthinkable less likely. 

The Michigan and Sparty game last year comes to mind. 

That type of stuff is what makes college ball great.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 minute ago, TK_05 said:

uhh... we're talking about opinions here bud. like i said, you state your opinion and pass it as fact. i dunno how saying that the nba sucks and college basketball is better (" NBA Basketball is to the game of basketball as Cristal is to Champagne- overpriced and avoided by true oenophiles. All style, no substance...) is at all a fact. i know you so badly want everything you say and think to be true but it's just true in your own little world bud

i understand this is a college message board and that it's far more likely that people are fans of college basketball and not the nba but please don't pretend like college basketball is better "because you said so"

you think that $9 billion in a $400 billion dollar industry is a substantial amount. i have no idea how much money is bet on nba basketball. i'm not sure why this matters. college basketball is not more popular than nba basketball. the nba is a global brand, college basketball isn't. the nba has huge sports personalities, college basketball doesn't. you can like college basketball more than the nba. you can not like the nba. you can have any opinion you want and rant and rave to your little hearts desire but it doesn't make it true. the 7 games of the nba finals averaged more viewers than last years championships game. the nba is a bigger, more viewed sport than college basketball. those are the facts. sry bud

So full of fail, where do I begin? For starters, that $9B figure? That's just Bracketology money. That doesn't count the 200,000 people who flock to Nevada at the beginning of the END of college basketball season to bet March Madness. It doesn't count the total money wagered over the entire college basketball season. The college basketball handle, like its attendance, dwarfs the NBA. The NFL and MLB dwarf the NBA in attendance. The NHL draws as much attendance as the NBA.

You said it yourself- the NBA is about personalities and celebrity, the game itself plays second fiddle.

8 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

So full of fail, where do I begin? For starters, that $9B figure? That's just Bracketology money. That doesn't count the 200,000 people who flock to Nevada at the beginning of the END of college basketball season to bet March Madness. It doesn't count the total money wagered over the entire college basketball season. The college basketball handle, like its attendance, dwarfs the NBA. The NFL and MLB dwarf the NBA in attendance. The NHL draws as much attendance as the NBA.

You said it yourself- the NBA is about personalities and celebrity, the game itself plays second fiddle.

ok, so feel free to pull those numbers out of your ass. if you honestly think that A. this matters and B. it's larger than the nba than you're an idiot... but that was never in doubt

and again, opinions. got it, you don't like the nba. what's your point?

and +++++ing lol at the nhl comment. they draw the same attendance? it's almost like they play in the same arenas as one another, have the same amount of teams in the league and play the same amount of games. riveting stuff there, really thought provoking 

15 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

The Michigan and Sparty game last year comes to mind. 

That type of stuff is what makes college ball great.

How about Auburn's returned FG for TD and the win against BAMA...that was like watching lightening strike. 

36 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

ok, so feel free to pull those numbers out of your ass. if you honestly think that A. this matters and B. it's larger than the nba than you're an idiot... but that was never in doubt

and again, opinions. got it, you don't like the nba. what's your point?

and +++++ing lol at the nhl comment. they draw the same attendance? it's almost like they play in the same arenas as one another, have the same amount of teams in the league and play the same amount of games. riveting stuff there, really thought provoking 

Here's some other stuff I pulled out of my azz... 

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-06-07/mens-basketball-attendance-tops-32-million-10th-straight-year

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/04/14/nba-sets-attendance-records-2015-16-season/83024324/

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/2015/03/16/Here-s-How-Much-Americans-Will-Bet-March-Madness

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

How about Auburn's returned FG for TD and the win against BAMA...that was like watching lightening strike. 

Same kind of thing.  That's why college football is so much better than any other sport on the planet.  Sometimes stuff happens that you just don't see in other sports.  The NCAA bball tourney is similar.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Uh, I realize this thread is 5 pages in, and someone else probably already pointed this out but, any chance they all got tired of watching the "safety dance" and killed their subscription?   Just asking.

7 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

I haven't read all this bullshit but you claim to be a basketball fan but you don't enjoy watching the best players in the world ?  

6 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Uh, I realize this thread is 5 pages in, and someone else probably already pointed this out but, any chance they all got tired of watching the "safety dance" and killed their subscription?   Just asking.

Blasphemer 

11 hours ago, Headbutt said:

Look no further than ROOT.  We get better start times and a better production.  Just no national distribution.  It's great for the front range.  It only sucks for the west coast schools playing in Denver.  I think that's about as close to a local OTA as you're going to get until we become 'Bama.  Just not enough ad revenue for channel 9 for instance to make that commitment.  Of course I doubt we make a nickel off of those ROOT broadcasts.

Yeah but they need to figure out how to stream games online for a fee.  There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to watch a game that isn't even available via cable in your area.  That is the huge problem.   I doubt network independent channel 2 has much great content now on Saturday afternoon.   Reruns?   

Posted Image