Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brew_Poke

Semi-OT: NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV

10 hours ago, Slapdad said:

Grandstanding? He didn't draw attention to the fact that he was kneeling and, in fact, A game came and went before anyone noticed that he was doing it before the second game. That's hardly grandstanding. 

He's on stage and he knows it.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

Guest RoscoesDad
15 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Kaepernick's a grand-standing, uninformed idiot who is inappropriately using the workplace for personal expression.

I don't advocate or defend the generalizations about him, and the suggestions of violence against him are repugnant, but this "movement" has all the substance of the tooth fairy banging Tinkerbell.

Isn't labeling someone who is exercising his 1A rights as "a grand standing, uninformed idiot", advocating and defending the generalizations about him?  Just kind of curious what you think the differences are with that...

How do you feel about ultra right wingers such as Tim Thomas, Curt Shilling, Mark Chmura, Tony LaRussa, etal  'grandstanding' on their political beliefs by refusing to attend the white house ceremonies to honor their championship?  That's just as disrespectful to the office, as Kap's kneeling during the Anthem is to the Flag.  

7 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Isn't labeling someone who is exercising his 1A rights as "a grand standing, uninformed idiot", advocating and defending the generalizations about him?  Just kind of curious what you think the differences are with that...

How do you feel about ultra right wingers such as Tim Thomas, Curt Shilling, Mark Chmura, Tony LaRussa, etal  'grandstanding' on their political beliefs by refusing to attend the white house ceremonies to honor their championship?  That's just as disrespectful to the office, as Kap's kneeling during the Anthem is to the Flag.  

Absolutely agree with the second part, and said as much when it happened.

There is a "time and place" for 1st Amendment expression and the workplace is not an appropriate one. And I'm not making a generalization. What he's doing is an insult to anyone who felt the teeth of Bull Connor's dogs and an insult to the intelligence of anyone who's really looked into the "movement" he's calling attention to. It is based on patently false narratives, perceptions unsupported by facts and statistics, and an agenda that lines the pockets of certain demagogues while ignoring the issues that really need to be addressed.

I guarantee he's going off of no more than a few headlines, a few opinions, and social media "information".

1 hour ago, Wyovanian said:

Absolutely agree with the second part, and said as much when it happened.

There is a "time and place" for 1st Amendment expression and the workplace is not an appropriate one. And I'm not making a generalization. What he's doing is an insult to anyone who felt the teeth of Bull Connor's dogs and an insult to the intelligence of anyone who's really looked into the "movement" he's calling attention to. It is based on patently false narratives, perceptions unsupported by facts and statistics, and an agenda that lines the pockets of certain demagogues while ignoring the issues that really need to be addressed.

I guarantee he's going off of no more than a few headlines, a few opinions, and social media "information".

That sounds like what you're doing. There's no way to know what someone is thinking or why they're doing something....to claim you know those things is pretty silly. He is, after all, 1/2 black and probably has some experience being a minority. :mellow:

58 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

That sounds like what you're doing. There's no way to know what someone is thinking or why they're doing something....to claim you know those things is pretty silly. He is, after all, 1/2 black and probably has some experience being a minority. :mellow:

No reasonable person, availed of the facts, would take such a stand. He;s a rebel without a clue.

4 hours ago, roswellcoug said:

Antonio Cromartie's wife claims he was cut by Baltimore because he kneeled during the national anthem

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/antonio-cromarties-wife-claims-anthem-194951427.html

They should cut more of them or suspend their pay. You can't use company time to do your political protesting. Now it is hurting the game. 

Really what has this protesting accomplished? The only thing I see is dividing our country even more.

Sundays and Monday night is all the NFL needs.  They are overwhelming the country with games.  Any surprise that the ratings are down?

**  “It’s a basic truth of the human condition that everybody lies. The only variable is about what.”

“There’s no ‘I’ in team. There’s a ‘me’ though, if you jumble it up.”

hoserjpg-2009.jpg.1a3e5724d48c16a835b94dde26c99132.jpg

4 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

They should cut more of them or suspend their pay. You can't use company time to do your political protesting. Now it is hurting the game. 

Really what has this protesting accomplished? The only thing I see is dividing our country even more.

I think division is the point. Minorities have rarely been heard by unifying the country. They drew a line, and one side was dragged kicking and screaming into the present.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.