Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brew_Poke

Semi-OT: NFL ratings plunge could spell doom for traditional TV

Football, America’s biggest prime-time powerhouse, has been thrust into a crisis this fall, with dwindling ratings sparking questions over whether it can remain a gold mine for television in an age when more Americans are abandoning traditional TV.

Network executives have long used the National Football League’s live games as a last line of defense against the rapid growth of “cord-cutting” and on-demand viewing upending the industry.

But now, the NFL is seeing its ratings tumble in the same way that the Olympics, awards shows and other live events have, falling more than 10 percent for the first five weeks of the season compared with the first five weeks of last season. A continued slide, executives say, could pose an even bigger danger: If football can’t survive the new age of TV, what can?

Football’s traditional TV audience “is never going to be what it was again,” said Brian Hughes, a senior vice president at Magna Global, which tracks audience and advertising trends.

The explosion of modern entertainment options, offered on more devices and at any time, has splintered American audiences and sped TV’s decline, Hughes said. “Sports seemed to be immune from it — it was live, the last bastion of broadcast television. But [the world] has caught up to it now.”

Rest at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/nfl-ratings-plunge-could-spell-doom-for-traditional-tv/2016/10/14/a7a23dc2-915f-11e6-9c85-ac42097b8cc0_story.html

Which is why the TV money helping the P5 conferences is going to decline as well...

A few more seasons and the networks will be demanding the contracts be reopened and renegotiated.

The future is on-demand, not "If you want to watch it, it will be here..."

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

8 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I blame Taliban quarterbacks.

And on that note: T-shirts sold outside Bills game include rifle sight on Kaepernick

Quarterback Colin Kaepernick made his first start on Sunday in nearly a year, against the Bills. Outside the team’s stadium, T-shirts for sale allowed fans to make a strong (and alarming) statement about the anthem protest.

Via Robert Klemko of TheMMQB.com, one of the T-shirts has an image of Kaepernick with a rifle sight on him. The text says “Wanted” above the photo and “Notorious Disgrace to America” below it.

Elsewhere outside the stadium, one group of fans were hitting a dummy wearing a Kaepernick jersey and an afro wig. Per Klemko, one fan yelled, “Tackle the Muslim.”

2 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Which is why the TV money helping the P5 conferences is going to decline as well...

A few more seasons and the networks will be demanding the contracts be reopened and renegotiated.

I agree but that will be one helluva slippery slope. I suspect viewership will decline ( granted certain games may draw some payer ship) and with the bulk of fans not willing to pay so will the advertising revenues.

1 minute ago, Brew_Poke said:

Kaepernick's a grand-standing, uninformed idiot who is inappropriately using the workplace for personal expression.

I don't advocate or defend the generalizations about him, and the suggestions of violence against him are repugnant, but this "movement" has all the substance of the tooth fairy banging Tinkerbell.

1 minute ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I agree but that will be one helluva slippery slope. I suspect viewership will decline ( granted certain games may draw some payer ship) and with the bulk of fans not willing to pay so will the advertising revenues.

Exactly my point. It will deflate the value of the sport, which is not necessarily a bad thing...

8 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

I've said for awhile that the media contract bubble is going to burst. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

8 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

And that is way over the top.  I'm not on board with that at all.  Just making a joke.

Justice Ginsburg (about as far left as they get) made the point that he's an idiot, but he has the right to be an idiot.  I guess I'm agreeing with a a leftist.

3 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I've said for awhile that the media contract bubble is going to burst. 

Starting to look pretty frothy...

These sums for these contracts are simply unrealistic, wildly speculative, and unsustainable...

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

And that is way over the top.  I'm not on board with that at all.  Just making a joke.

Justice Ginsburg (about as far left as they get) made the point that he's an idiot, but he has the right to be an idiot.  I guess I'm agreeing with a a leftist.

"Disrespectful and dumb..." was spot on. Too bad she's too spineless to stand behind her words instead of kowtowing to her political base...

1 minute ago, Wyovanian said:

"Disrespectful and dumb..." was spot on. Too bad she's too spineless to stand behind her words instead of kowtowing to her political base...

It's amazing she's lucid for two or three minutes a day.

52 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

You think SCOTUS  judges have political bases?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, Headbutt said:

Ginsburg does.  No question in my mind.

I guess even despots do. Point taken

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, Wyovanian said:

Kaepernick's a grand-standing, uninformed idiot who is inappropriately using the workplace for personal expression.

I don't advocate or defend the generalizations about him, and the suggestions of violence against him are repugnant, but this "movement" has all the substance of the tooth fairy banging Tinkerbell.

Grandstanding? He didn't draw attention to the fact that he was kneeling and, in fact, A game came and went before anyone noticed that he was doing it before the second game. That's hardly grandstanding. 

6 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

The NFL needs to get off Thursdays

Agreed. They started doing it in large part because people were whining the Lions and Cowboys were the only ones that got to play on a Thursday every year. In an unrelated note, I think Goodell is the worst commish in all of pro sports. Guy seems like that curmedgeony (not a word I know) recess monitor that won't let you hang on the monkey bars upside down. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.