Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NWRebel

UNLV/NFL Stadium (Next up is the NFL Approval for the Raiders to move to Vegas)

1 hour ago, HighNTight_SD said:

from San Diego's experience when dealing with the NFL, team owner and their sponsors ... what I can tell you is this:

it will be all cordial and coopertive in the beginning ... but it will quickly evolve into a one-sided financial arrangement for the benefit of the NFL

It will all happen covertly as contracts are re-worked in private and and agreements restructured over some convoluted reason or another -- each time redirecting more money, resources and authority to the team and its sponsors.

What oversight/governance of Qualcomm stadium is in place?

I'm hoping that the establishment of our Stadium Authority comprised of representatives of Clark County/State of Nevada/UNLV would maintain control.  Everything that was set in place is now part of Nevada Law.  We've sent County Commissioners to prison for making private agreements.

50 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Happy for Vegas. If this is what you think Vegas needs to catapult its university forward than more power to you. Look forward to seeing the stadium and the types of events it hosts. 

Hopefully it benefits all of Nevada.

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

The stadium isn't just about the Raiders. It isn't even mostly about the Raiders (at least originally it wasn't, but has morphed in the last few months). It's about getting large special events. Now if the Raiders fall thru before construction, the ball goes to UNLV's court, and we probably get a smaller stadium, but still one that can host events that we currently cannot in Vegas. As you say, the Raiders are vagabonds... no worries. If they leave in 10 yrs., we will still have a ton of events by that time to pay the note. Look at what Jerry's World has managed to pull in (outside NFL games). Vegas will attract more. I have 0 concerns about this project paying for itself with or without the Raiders.

And the infrastructure improvements (assuming you are talking about the NDOT report as it used the $800 million figure) were already planned before the stadium sites were even discussed. They were just planned for further down the line, and are now being moved to the front of the line. It may be just a happy coincidence that these projects were planned to serve the proposed stadium sites, or it might have been something that was actually discussed when siting the project? Hmmmm....

It would be great if you guys get extra events there but what events do you plan to get that requires a 60k plus stadium that you don't already get with all the venues in Vegas? An occasional Super Bowl maybe. Maybe an NCAA tournament gig. I'm looking at the schedule for ATT Stadium which you compare to and I didn't see any that require that big of a venue. Vegas already has a ton of large venues. What events aren't you already getting?

15 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

It would be great if you guys get extra events there but what events do you plan to get that requires a 60k plus stadium that you don't already get with all the venues in Vegas? An occasional Super Bowl maybe. Maybe an NCAA tournament gig. I'm looking at the schedule for ATT Stadium which you compare to and I didn't see any that require that big of a venue. Vegas already has a ton of large venues. What events aren't you already getting?

Political rallies/conferences

International soccer & Rugby

More/bigger bowl games

Likely MLS team (at some point)

Avoid losing things like UFC, Boxing, PBR, etc.

NFL Pro Bowl

Additional stadium concerts/music festivals.

Some of it will be getting new events (some of which I am sure no one has even imagined yet) and some will be keeping existing events that are already looking to move into larger venues.

While we have nice venues in the T-Mobile, T&M, Grand Garden, Orleans, and Mandalay Events, Vegas' largest existing venue seats 22K (T-Mobile). This puts us into a new events market that we currently don't have the facility for.

One of the things Vegas has proven through the years is its ability to attract new events that no one would've imagined coming here before (Electric Daisy at the Speedway, Rugby Sevens at Boyd, the Presidential Debate, etc.). I am confident this place will have a regular slate of events.

20 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Nice work cockyunlvposter. 

Question - I wonder how much the Raiders, from a corporate perspective, will save relocating from expensive Bay Area to much more affordable Las Vegas? 

Also, this saves players too? No more state income tax?

A couple of things I never thought of that maybe you know the answers to  

Pro players in sports are taxed for the games they play in states that have income taxes........When the Texas Rangers do their taxes (TC w/ no state income tax) their accountant counts the games the team played in California & prorates the state tax from that number

21 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

A lot of people don't know that regular season MLB games have been played in Vegas. In 1996, The Oakland A's played their first 6 home games in Vegas at Cashman Field, the minor league ballpark. There have been lots of pre-season games there over the years. The renovations were running late, and Oakland needed a place to play. 

The A's lost a 2 game series to Tornoto, and then split a 4 game series with Detroit to make up the 6 games played in Vegas. That was the first time a regular season MLB game was played at a minor league stadium since 1957 with the Brooklyn Dodgers playing someone else in New Jersey. Yay!! 

Where does UNLV play it's baseball games?

20 hours ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

The players won't pay a Nevada income tax as we don't have one.  They will have to pay what is called a Jock Tax when they play in jurisdictions that do have that tax.  Players from other states will love it too because when they play here there won't be that Jock Tax on them either.

As to  your first question I would think that those expenses would be lower. 

29 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Pro players in sports are taxed for the games they play in states that have income taxes........When the Texas Rangers do their taxes (TC w/ no state income tax) their accountant counts the games the team played in California & prorates the state tax from that number

2001 is correct.  Most states tax all of a resident's income - whether earned in the state or not - and then allow a credit against that tax for taxes paid to another state.  So, for professional athletes with residence in Nevada, Texas, Florida, etc., they only pay state income tax for the games played in taxable states.  Pro athletes with residence in taxable states will typically pay state tax for all their income - either to the state they played in or to their state of residence.

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Oh dear god. There has been a ton of civil discussion about the stadium on this board between fans of both schools.  Not sure what you're talking about. I personally have never discounted Vegas' ability or stomach to spend money on sports. It just spent $80 million on an upgrade to the T&M. I think the schools have very different concepts of how it should spend money. 

You call it "concepts" I call it "ceilings." Bottom line is UNR has capped out. UNLV has legitimate shot to move up. Only reason you wouldn't find that "civil" is because its a hard truth to hear. I'm too lazy to go look but you and many other UNR fans have posted en mass over the last 6 months about how this was a pipe dream, silly and never going to happen, so forgive me if I don't think you have the best pulse on reality. 

Cheers!

22 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Where does UNLV play it's baseball games?

2001 is correct.  Most states tax all of a resident's income - whether earned in the state or not - and then allow a credit against that tax for taxes paid to another state.  So, for professional athletes with residence in Nevada, Texas, Florida, etc., they only pay state income tax for the games played in taxable states.  Pro athletes with residence in taxable states will typically pay state tax for all their income - either to the state they played in or to their state of residence.

Here is an interesting read from a year ago.  Breaks down teams and some individuals taxes.  I believe some of those Raider players will get to keep more of their money by living and playing in Vegas.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

15 minutes ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

Here is an interesting read from a year ago.  Breaks down teams and some individuals taxes.  I believe some of those Raider players will get to keep more of their money by living and playing in Vegas.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nfl-jock-taxes

Nice website - I'd still give 50% in taxes on a $10M+ contract.

Raiders in LV will cut some taxes for players........and Vegas would be a good home base - we have a number who live here already - quite a few pro-athletes call LV area home 

1 hour ago, SharkTanked said:

Political rallies/conferences

International soccer & Rugby

More/bigger bowl games

Likely MLS team (at some point)

Avoid losing things like UFC, Boxing, PBR, etc.

NFL Pro Bowl

Additional stadium concerts/music festivals.

Some of it will be getting new events (some of which I am sure no one has even imagined yet) and some will be keeping existing events that are already looking to move into larger venues.

While we have nice venues in the T-Mobile, T&M, Grand Garden, Orleans, and Mandalay Events, Vegas' largest existing venue seats 22K (T-Mobile). This puts us into a new events market that we currently don't have the facility for.

One of the things Vegas has proven through the years is its ability to attract new events that no one would've imagined coming here before (Electric Daisy at the Speedway, Rugby Sevens at Boyd, the Presidential Debate, etc.). I am confident this place will have a regular slate of events.

I hope you're right just for tax payer's sake, though I don't see any more political rallies drawing more than 25k and only with Trump or Sanders every 4 years. The average draw for MLS is 21k and occasionally the Sounders get 40k. The Big Bowls aren't letting you into the rotation and the other Bowls are dwindling in attendance. Then you are talking about not losing what you already have which really isn't a gain. The Pro Bowl is likely to go to the city that hosts each Super Bowl so you might get that every 6 or 7 years. I don't want to be a downer but I don't really see much upside for already the top adult tourist destination. What happens to Sam Boyd?

40 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

You call it "concepts" I call it "ceilings." Bottom line is UNR has capped out. UNLV has legitimate shot to move up. Only reason you wouldn't find that "civil" is because its a hard truth to hear. I'm too lazy to go look but you and many other UNR fans have posted en mass over the last 6 months about how this was a pipe dream, silly and never going to happen, so forgive me if I don't think you have the best pulse on reality. 

Cheers!

The only "truth" in your post is there have been many fans from all programs in this conference offering opinions both for and against the stadium. So what?

And I've been on these boards for too long and Vegas fans like you have been talking about potential, ceiling, money and recruiting rankings the entire time. If you think a football stadium - and spending roughly $2 billion to bring an NFL team into your community is the right move, than awesome.

15 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

The only "truth" in your post is there have been many fans from all programs in this conference offering opinions both for and against the stadium. So what?

And I've been on these boards for too long and Vegas fans like you have been talking about potential, ceiling, money and recruiting rankings the entire time. If you think a football stadium - and spending roughly $2 billion to bring an NFL team into your community is the right move, than awesome.

Got it. Your longevity on a message board and consistent wrongness on the stadium issue over the last 6 months is of greater weight than UNLV getting a 2 billion dollar stadium. Glad we got that cleared up. 

And since I only started posting on this board to state that it actually was going to happen and have said it from the jump because I actually am involved with this stuff, I'll take my opinions over your message board badges any day. 

1 minute ago, NMpackalum said:

I hope you're right just for tax payer's sake, though I don't see any more political rallies drawing more than 25k and only with Trump or Sanders every 4 years. The average draw for MLS is 21k and occasionally the Sounders get 40k. The Big Bowls aren't letting you into the rotation and the other Bowls are dwindling in attendance. Then you are talking about not losing what you already have which really isn't a gain. The Pro Bowl is likely to go to the city that hosts each Super Bowl so you might get that every 6 or 7 years. I don't want to be a downer but I don't really see much upside for already the top adult tourist destination. What happens to Sam Boyd?

fwiw, we had no idea what the T&M (the largest venue in las vegas at the time) would bring when it was built. there will be events that we haven't even thought of yet. the NFR is an example of this for the T&M. and when the prca said they were going to move the NFR to orlando, the cowboys refused to go there. they bring millions of $$$ in to vegas at a time that used to be dead..

and the average draw for MLS in vegas might be different from the MLS in other cities. as for the bowl opportunities, vegas has proven to be a fan favorite in basketball, and literally saved the pac 12 tournament when they moved it here. look for more interest in football as well. same with ncaa basketball regional/final four tournaments, it's only a matter of time.  a few years ago the nfl and nba said there would never be teams in vegas. we've come a long way since then. and even foley has said he would like to have some hockey games in the new stadium, open air. the rugby 7 has already outgrown SBS, after just a few short years, especially since it was combined with an international food and beer fest :D..people from all over the world come to that, last fall they were talking about how that would quickly double in size if it were to ever be held in a bigger venue near the strip/airport. and was the pro bowl not in hawaii forever until recently? there's nothing that says it has to go to the superbowl cities every year. i'm not sure if everybody here realizes how big of a draw las vegas can be, if fans have an option to come here or go to pittsburg, lol. what might apply to other cities does not necessarily apply here.

anyway, it looks like we will all find out before too long.

23 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

Got it. Your longevity on a message board and consistent wrongness on the stadium issue over the last 6 months is of greater weight than UNLV getting a 2 billion dollar stadium. Glad we got that cleared up. 

And since I only started posting on this board to state that it actually was going to happen and have said it from the jump because I actually am involved with this stuff, I'll take my opinions over your message board badges any day. 

Oh I see. You're looking for validation. Well let me be the first to congratulate you on the stadium approval.

Plus, either you can't read or choose not to.. so whatever. I never made any predictions about the stadium. I commented just like other mortals (not you of course, because you are an 'in the know' message board poster.)

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

fwiw, we had no idea what the T&M (the largest venue in las vegas at the time) would bring when it was built. there will be events that we haven't even thought of yet. the NFR is an example of this for the T&M. and when the prca said they were going to move the NFR to orlando, the cowboys refused to go there. they bring millions of $$$ in to vegas at a time that used to be dead..

and the average draw for MLS in vegas might be different from the MLS in other cities. as for the bowl opportunities, vegas has proven to be a fan favorite in basketball, and literally saved the pac 12 tournament when they moved it here. look for more interest in football as well. same with ncaa basketball regional/final four tournaments, it's only a matter of time.  a few years ago the nfl and nba said there would never be teams in vegas. we've come a long way since then. and even foley has said he would like to have some hockey games in the new stadium, open air. the rugby 7 has already outgrown SBS, after just a few short years, especially since it was combined with an international food and beer fest :D..people from all over the world come to that, last fall they were talking about how that would quickly double in size if it were to ever be held in a bigger venue near the strip/airport. and was the pro bowl not in hawaii forever until recently? there's nothing that says it has to go to the superbowl cities every year. i'm not sure if everybody here realizes how big of a draw las vegas can be, if fans have an option to come here or go to pittsburg, lol. what might apply to other cities does not necessarily apply here.

anyway, it looks like we will all find out before too long.

I agree.  Enough talk and predictions.  This thing is going to happen and whether or not it "pencils out" in anyone's imagination is worthless at this point.  Especially when we try to compare this project to what other cities have done.  Las Vegas is way different.  We'll just have to sit back and see what happens.

21 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

So is that room tax increase still unlikely? Or is has it already been taxed and we're just waiting for it to be collected?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.