Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClevelandBrown

Gear update 9/24/16: Durango, Colorado

I drove from Boise to Mancos, Colorado for a good buddies wedding this weekend and we are still on the road heading back. I have the time on my hands so I thought I'd use it to report on the gear I saw. Notable stops/towns visited a long the way: SLC, Provo, Moab, and Durango. While I've learned from some Rams posters that CSU owns the state of Colorado (which had me anticipating to see an overflow of Rams gear), it should be noted that Durango and SW Colorado are very much removed from the Front Range cities, politics, and vibe. Durango and Moab are obviously big tourist towns so an assortment of gear was expected, but I spent most of the weekend on a farm, meeting the local farmers, traveling county roads, etc. and since CSU is the agg school of the State, I was certain that would bolster the amount of its rabid, loyal, nationally respected fans and alumnus that I would encounter.

Obviously Southern Idaho was 90% BSU gear but I did see a fair showing of Utes, some Wyo, Oregon, Wazzu, Idaho, and some Montana flair. Didn't see a single BYU sticker, decal, license plate, nothing. Maybe @#1Stunner can explain this phenomena. A lot of closeted fans perhaps? Ashamed? Anyways, on to Northern Utah.

Very good showing by Utah State from Brigham City to North Salt Lake. Wasn't expecting that, well done Ags. Lots of Utes, some BSU, Weber State, quite a few Oregon stickers, and some CU stuff but still no BYU. Probably just an anomaly no doubt, but we were gassing up in Provo so I was sure we'd get our fill of Coug gear there. It should be noted that I wasn't wearing a BSU shirt per se, but a baseball shirt for the Boise Gems (adult league) which was blue with "BOISE" written in orange baseball script across the front. We stopped outside of Provo in Spanish Fork and a guy in a BYU hat mentioned to me that he might be in Boise for the game this year. Nice guy. Kinda skinny, red hair, tucked in polo shirt, jean shorts and some sweet New Balance sneakers. I told him where we were tailgating and to stop by if he'd like. He seemed to get nervous and left going the exact speed limit in a minivan. As we were getting back into the vehicle, a couple pre-teens with no shirts and skateboards passed in front of us. Probably some of the tougher guys in the area, maybe they made BYU guy so nervous?

Moab was quite an assortment of flair. Still a lot of Utes, a bunch of CU, and a smattering of most western schools including UNM, CSU, ASU, and Wyo. I even saw a sticker from one of my alma maters, Colorado Mountain College (Go Eagles!). There was another minivan with BYU flair parked in front of the Wendy's. "Hey kids, who wants a FROSTY!?!" rang through my head.

As we entered in to Colorado, the sun had set and we arrived in Mancos (pronounced MAING-kiss, fyi) in the dark. I set up my bed in my buddies old run down VW bus he parked on his farm (same one we partied in in high school) and dozed off imagining the amount of unseen front porches proudly waving their Rams flags that we drove passed in the pitch black.

If you were in the area this weekend, you'll know about the crazy weather that went down. We just missed the big storm that passed through SLC but got hit by severe rain and thunderstorms early in the morning on Friday. We awoke to the first frost (although it was minimal) and the first snow on the mountains only 1000 up in elevation from where we were. I mention this because as folks arrived for the wedding, the amount of gear from eastern schools began to make a presence, specifically a handful of Buckeyes from the bride's family. Now these guys like their gear! They all had OSU hats, shirts and jackets. Probably even socks. Problem is, that's about all they brought. They were complaining and shivering in their scarlet and grey the entire weekend. Pssshh....flat landers. 

As we headed toward Durango for the day, I was shocked to see the lack of CSU flair I had anticipated so much to see. We stopped quickly in Mancos where I started to spot a lot of New Mexico license plates and a couple pieces of Lobo flair. We popped into a restaurant/bar and I asked if they'd be airing the "Rams/Gophers game" in the morning. "What sport is that?" was the response. "College football," I said "Colorado State vs Minnesota." "I have no idea, if you can find it, help yourself." I began to feel like a fool for having expectations that were not a reality. 

Durango was similar to Moab. Lots of different gear but this time a bigger Texas presence and an unexpected amount of Lobo flair. I finally found a beat up old pickup truck decked out in CSU flair. As he sped away in a black cloud of exhaust, he annoyingly screamed "GO STATE!" and some spattering of spanglish. The kind of guy that makes you feel dirty. Anyways, at least I had found a CSU fan in Colorado. I wasn't just going crazy! Saw some decals for Fort Lewis College, Western State University, and Northern Colorado.....lots of pride for the smaller schools in the state it seems.

The one team that really owns the state is the Denver Broncos. I saw their gear in the way I anticipated to see CSU gear. Sorry CSU fans, but if you ask me, the Broncos own this state, not you guys. But, hey, I may be wrong, I was only in one remote corner. Back at the farm, I met a lot of local farmers. Surprisingly, a lot of them were from the area and just went to Ft Lewis (Durango). Some had taken some classes at Boulder and CSU-Pueblo as well. All in all at the wedding, I met people with the following Alma Maters: Boise State, Idaho, College of Idaho, Oregon, Oregon State, Wazzu, Utah, Montana, Montana State, Colorado, Cal, Humbolt State, Ft Lewis, Western State, CSU-Pueblo, School of Mines, Southern Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, SUNY, Columbia, Tennessee, and Hawaii-Hilo.

I didn't meet everyone, so I'm sure there were some CSU grads in there somewhere but if you want to just count CSU-Pueblo as your own, that's totally fine with me.

I think, therefore I'm.

28 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I drove from Boise to Mancos, Colorado for a good buddies wedding this weekend and we are still on the road heading back. I have the time on my hands so I thought I'd use it to report on the gear I saw. Notable stops/towns visited a long the way: SLC, Provo, Moab, and Durango. While I've learned from some Rams posters that CSU owns the state of Colorado (which had me anticipating to see an overflow of Rams gear), it should be noted that Durango and SW Colorado are very much removed from the Front Range cities, politics, and vibe. Durango and Moab are obviously big tourist towns so an assortment of gear was expected, but I spent most of the weekend on a farm, meeting the local farmers, traveling county roads, etc. and since CSU is the agg school of the State, I was certain that would bolster the amount of its rabid, loyal, nationally respected fans and alumnus that I would encounter.

Obviously Southern Idaho was 90% BSU gear but I did see a fair showing of Utes, some Wyo, Oregon, Wazzu, Idaho, and some Montana flair. Didn't see a single BYU sticker, decal, license plate, nothing. Maybe @#1Stunner can explain this phenomena. A lot of closeted fans perhaps? Ashamed? Anyways, on to Northern Utah.

Very good showing by Utah State from Brigham City to North Salt Lake. Wasn't expecting that, well done Ags. Lots of Utes, some BSU, Weber State, quite a few Oregon stickers, and some CU stuff but still no BYU. Probably just an anomaly no doubt, but we were gassing up in Provo so I was sure we'd get our fill of Coug gear there. It should be noted that I wasn't wearing a BSU shirt per se, but a baseball shirt for the Boise Gems (adult league) which was blue with "BOISE" written in orange baseball script across the front. We stopped outside of Provo in Spanish Fork and a guy in a BYU hat mentioned to me that he might be in Boise for the game this year. Nice guy. Kinda skinny, red hair, tucked in polo shirt, jean shorts and some sweet New Balance sneakers. I told him where we were tailgating and to stop by if he'd like. He seemed to get nervous and left going the exact speed limit in a minivan. As we were getting back into the vehicle, a couple pre-teens with no shirts and skateboards passed in front of us. Probably some of the tougher guys in the area, maybe they made BYU guy so nervous?

Moab was quite an assortment of flair. Still a lot of Utes, a bunch of CU, and a smattering of most western schools including UNM, CSU, ASU, and Wyo. I even saw a sticker from one of my alma maters, Colorado Mountain College (Go Eagles!). There was another minivan with BYU flair parked in front of the Wendy's. "Hey kids, who wants a FROSTY!?!" rang through my head.

As we entered in to Colorado, the sun had set and we arrived in Mancos (pronounced MAING-kiss, fyi) in the dark. I set up my bed in my buddies old run down VW bus he parked on his farm (same one we partied in in high school) and dozed off imagining the amount of unseen front porches proudly waving their Rams flags that we drove passed in the pitch black.

If you were in the area this weekend, you'll know about the crazy weather that went down. We just missed the big storm that passed through SLC but got hit by severe rain and thunderstorms early in the morning on Friday. We awoke to the first frost (although it was minimal) and the first snow on the mountains only 1000 up in elevation from where we were. I mention this because as folks arrived for the wedding, the amount of gear from eastern schools began to make a presence, specifically a handful of Buckeyes from the bride's family. Now these guys like their gear! They all had OSU hats, shirts and jackets. Probably even socks. Problem is, that's about all they brought. They were complaining and shivering in their scarlet and grey the entire weekend. Pssshh....flat landers. 

As we headed toward Durango for the day, I was shocked to see the lack of CSU flair I had anticipated so much to see. We stopped quickly in Mancos where I started to spot a lot of New Mexico license plates and a couple pieces of Lobo flair. We popped into a restaurant/bar and I asked if they'd be airing the "Rams/Gophers game" in the morning. "What sport is that?" was the response. "College football," I said "Colorado State vs Minnesota." "I have no idea, if you can find it, help yourself." I began to feel like a fool for having expectations that were not a reality. 

Durango was similar to Moab. Lots of different gear but this time a bigger Texas presence and an unexpected amount of Lobo flair. I finally found a beat up old pickup truck decked out in CSU flair. As he sped away in a black cloud of exhaust, he annoyingly screamed "GO STATE!" and some spattering of spanglish. The kind of guy that makes you feel dirty. Anyways, at least I had found a CSU fan in Colorado. I wasn't just going crazy! Saw some decals for Fort Lewis College, Western State University, and Northern Colorado.....lots of pride for the smaller schools in the state it seems.

The one team that really owns the state is the Denver Broncos. I saw their gear in the way I anticipated to see CSU gear. Sorry CSU fans, but if you ask me, the Broncos own this state, not you guys. But, hey, I may be wrong, I was only in one remote corner. Back at the farm, I met a lot of local farmers. Surprisingly, a lot of them were from the area and just went to Ft Lewis (Durango). Some had taken some classes at Boulder and CSU-Pueblo as well. All in all at the wedding, I met people with the following Alma Maters: Boise State, Idaho, College of Idaho, Oregon, Oregon State, Wazzu, Utah, Montana, Montana State, Colorado, Cal, Humbolt State, Ft Lewis, Western State, CSU-Pueblo, School of Mines, Southern Illinois, Michigan State, Ohio State, SUNY, Columbia, Tennessee, and Hawaii-Hilo.

I didn't meet everyone, so I'm sure there were some CSU grads in there somewhere but if you want to just count CSU-Pueblo as your own, that's totally fine with me.

Well I have met a lot of CU-Denver and CU-Colorado Springs grads who say they went to CU. Then you dig deeper you realize it is not boulder. I do not think I ever met a CSU Pueblo grad who said they went to CSU.

I've got an upcoming flight through MSP, I'll be interested in seeing if there is any CSU gear available. TCSUF have been acting like Minnesota is a bigger rivalry than they have with any other school, so you could infer that there are lots of CSU alum, and lots of gear as a result. 

10 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I've got an upcoming flight through MSP, I'll be interested in seeing if there is any CSU gear available. TCSUF have been acting like Minnesota is a bigger rivalry than they have with any other school, so you could infer that there are lots of CSU alum, and lots of gear as a result. 

Please take a photo if you see any of those copper and gold Minnesota fan shirts that read "Colorado State, WHO WE HATE!" That rivalry is so intense - right up there with Alabama vs Auburn, Michigan vs Ohio State, and Oklahoma vs Texas. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
6 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

Gotta admit... Your life---driving a big rig, eighteen wheeler across the western United States sounds pretty fun sometimes.  I have no idea about the winter though.  I imagine that can get stressful.  But I digress....

To answer your question, you are unlikely to see many BYU fans at the various truck stops, driving the big rigs.  Some might be there gassing up their SUVs or Minvans, but it makes sense that almost all of the actual truckers will be Boise fans (90% in Southern Idaho), Utes, Wyoming fans, Wazzu, Idaho, and Montana fans.  Also a lot of USU truckers make runs around Brigham to Tremonton.

Were you at the Flying J?  I really like their gas stations.  They are usually pretty nice.

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Wow... so much dumb.  And I saw no Boise gear in MSP this weekend... although I've heard so much about their national following.

This must be a sign that we are at the end of all days or something.

While in MSP, did you see a lot of those "House Divided" flags with the maroon and gold Minnesota "M" next to the green and white Dodge Ram logo? 

When you watch TV in the Cortez/Durango/Pagosa Springs areas, you'll find local programing from... Albuquerque! I found it odd to be watching the local happening of ABQ news. And Always know whats going on weather wise in those areas, as they are popular destinations for central/northern New Mexicans.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Please take a photo if you see any of those copper and gold Minnesota fan shirts that read "Colorado State, WHO WE HATE!" That rivalry is so intense - right up there with Alabama vs Auburn, Michigan vs Ohio State, and Oklahoma vs Texas. 

I would have, but I actually just got a notification for a no charge change right after I posted that will allow me to leave here an hour later, connect through Cincinnati and get into LAX an hour earlier than going the route through MSP. 

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

I would have, but I actually just got a notification for a no charge change right after I posted that will allow me to leave here an hour later, connect through Cincinnati and get into LAX an hour earlier than going the route through MSP. 

Damn. That would have really benefited our research efforts. 

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

Damn. That would have really benefited our research efforts. 

I know, I'm disappointed that I'm going to let you all down in that way. :( I doubt there will be any CSU gear in Cincinnati or Detroit (return connection), so this trip will be a failure. Though I can gauge what the incursion of SDSU gear is into LAX, so that's something. I almost flew into SFO, which would have afforded me the chance to observe SJSU gear in the wild, but the extra $20 wasn't worth hunting for unicorns. 

8 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I was up in Durango this weekend sporting my Nevada gear. I lived in Denver for 4 years of my residency and maybe saw 10 pieces of CSU gear, 3 on my father in law. Any CSU gear in Durango was probably seen on the guys on the corner holding up the will work for weed signs and playing ukeleles.