Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

The fall of Oregon

18 hours ago, I am Ram said:

I don't think they will be actually bad anytime soon. Too much money and too much reputation. Oregon has marketed itself brilliantly in recent years. But we won't see them compete for national titles anytime soon either. Which is fine with me. Oregon fans have an unfounded sense of privilege that is unbearable.

This isn't unlike ANY team who has won a lot. The fans get used to winning and think their time will come to get knocked off the top of the hill I would say that Boise fans were as guilty of this as anyone, but it happens to any school who starts winning a lot. Football is cyclical.....Colorado is showing signs of life and the Ducks have stumbled. It's college football. 

8 minutes ago, Slapdad said:

This isn't unlike ANY team who has won a lot. The fans get used to winning and think their time will come to get knocked off the top of the hill I would say that Boise fans were as guilty of this as anyone, but it happens to any school who starts winning a lot. Football is cyclical.....Colorado is showing signs of life and the Ducks have stumbled. It's college football. 

That's true, of course. I'm a big Gators fans, and God knows we are less terrible people now that Florida has had a couple of humbling seasons. Yet, Oregon fans are a special breed. I don't know what it is - maybe the fact that there aren't a ton of major universities in the Pacific NW and no NFL team in Oregon, so local people attend the UO and think it's the hottest thing the academic and athletic worlds have to offer. Nike's involvement certainly plays a role too. There is a strong "Buy us a championship!" attitude, especially among younger fans. Basically it's a lot of recent success with no long history of success. That makes for awful fans, not unlike the Seahawks.

18 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

That's true, of course. I'm a big Gators fans, and God knows we are less terrible people now that Florida has had a couple of humbling seasons. Yet, Oregon fans are a special breed. I don't know what it is - maybe the fact that there aren't a ton of major universities in the Pacific NW and no NFL team in Oregon, so local people attend the UO and think it's the hottest thing the academic and athletic worlds have to offer. Nike's involvement certainly plays a role too. There is a strong "Buy us a championship!" attitude, especially among younger fans. Basically it's a lot of recent success with no long history of success. That makes for awful fans, not unlike the Seahawks.

Spot on!  I love living in the Northwest but other than Oregon State there's not one other college or pro team up here I can stand to cheer for.  Part of it is the fans with the Ducks and Seahawks being the most annoying. 

18 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

Chip Kelly should be available in 2018.  He's a better college coach than a pro one anyway.  Chip could resurrect Oregon

It's more likely he takes the LSU job now that his show cause has expired.

I wonder if this thread shouldn't be more appropriately titled "The Rise of Washington"?

It seems to me that the NW is too small to support 3 elite caliber teams (Boise is always there or on the verge). 4 good ones, sure; there's been years where Wazzu, BSU, OSU and Oregon were all in the top 25 but not top 10. No room for more than 2 great teams though.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 9/26/2016 at 0:25 PM, happycamper said:

I wonder if this thread shouldn't be more appropriately titled "The Rise of Washington"?

No, I think the title is appropriate. Man, does Oregon luck bad. I was at a WSU sports bar last night, and it was a strange sight to see so many Cougars fans happy and cheering, especially with Oregon involved. 

On 9/25/2016 at 9:13 AM, sdsuphilip4 said:

Oregon has definitely fallen big time, Colorado's weirdly looked decent all year

MacIntyre is a damn good coach. Better than Helfrich, that's pretty clear and like Ian and others, I'm loving it.

Boom goes the dynamite.