Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NVGiant

"The Media"

42 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I watch CBS News every now and again. I don't think it's spin as much as shallow reporting. That isn't too much of a surprise considering the restraints of the medium (there just isn't much time for in-depth reporting in a 20-minute broadcast). PBS Newshour is pretty decent. As good as TV nightly news gets, IMO. But it isn't as slickly packaged, so few watch it.

Yeah PBS is better.  I wasn't thinking of them when I was speaking of the networks.  

You're right about network news and their time constraints.  It's more like news highlights. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

5 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If it was I would find it absolutely fascinating.  Wouldn't you?

If BBC, CNN, MSNBC, NYT, WAPO fit some kind of definition of "fascinating", then yeah, I guess it'd have to be said NKST would too. 

#DearLeaderHillary

#WhatQuestionMayWeAskNext

12667677.jpeg

No questions about Emails

No questions about Clinton Foundation

No questions about Benghazi LIES TO FAMILIES OF THE DEAD

No questions about Goldman Sachs

No questions about us "deplorables"

No bias or prejudice here folks!!!

#HeckuvaJobLes

#TheMediaIsWithHer

12667677.jpeg

Journalists who in theory should be the standard bearers for the profession are people like Bob Woodward and Tim Russert. I appreciate those who objectively analyze and question positions taken by all sides in spite of their personal convictions and leanings. 

That said, I don't believe there has ever been a golden era of objective journalism in the United States. There's always been a bias in political reporting and that's why it's important for individuals to evaluate information and come to their own conclusions rather than being told how things are. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

the "media" in Hillary's pocket - NYT, LAT, WaPost, Seattle Times, Den Post, NBC, MSNBC, CNN and several within ABC and CBS and USA Today.  

Thats a heck of a lot of "the media".  

The conservative media - Talk Radio like Rush, Fox News and WSJ.   

15 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You make a dumbass claim and get proved wrong.

#youmakeitsoeasy

#sticktofastfooddumbass

Why are you even engaging with that cretin lmao 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

3 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Why are you even engaging with that cretin lmao 

Just because you're a prizefighter doesn't mean you don't step on cockroaches once in a while.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Just because you're a prizefighter doesn't mean you don't step on cockroaches once in a while.

I didn't think anyone would ever take the crown from SJW40, so you've definitely overachieved...

#AwesomeParticipationTrophyChamp

#TryToRememberToWipeNextTime

12667677.jpeg

Welp, this cant gave been easy past few days for the OP et cie. Do we need to go over Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and Professional Rasslin' too Lefty, or sre you starting to see where this is going?

#Wikileaks

12667677.jpeg

Then CNN "contributor" Donna Brazile shared CNN Town Hall question about death penalty with Clinton campaign in advance: 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2016/10/11/then-cnn-contributor-donna-brazile-to-clinton-camp-sometimes-i-get-the-questions-in-advance/?utm_term=.bcdf17bf53c4#comments

These are the same people who brought us Candy Crowley. 

On 9/27/2016 at 9:32 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

shocked oh snap cat damn

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 9/23/2016 at 4:56 PM, NVGiant said:

@smltwnrckr and I likely agree with this take (i don't want to completely speak for you smltwnrckr), for the most part. But for those who think "the media" is in cahoots with one another to push a single agenda, what do you think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/dear-readers-please-stop-calling-us-the-media-there-is-no-such-thing/2016/09/23/37972a32-7932-11e6-ac8e-cf8e0dd91dc7_story.html

I'm not a liberal media conspiracy guy (maybe the one conspiracy I don't ascribe to). I think the media trends toward liberal, but it isn't due to conjointed effort to purposely push an agenda. I think the media, like every other complex institution in society, is made up of individuals who act out of self interest first. Journalism tends to attract more liberals than conservative, but that doesn't mean they are biased one way or the other while doing their job. But it does mean they will differ on what stories are more important than others.

That being said. This looks shady as hell to me.

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails//fileid/5953/1591

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

38 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I'm not a liberal media conspiracy guy (maybe the one conspiracy I don't ascribe to). I think the media trends toward liberal, but it isn't due to conjointed effort to purposely push an agenda. I think the media, like every other complex institution in society, is made up of individuals who act out of self interest first. Journalism tends to attract more liberals than conservative, but that doesn't mean they are biased one way or the other while doing their job. But it does mean they will differ on what stories are more important than others.

That's how the media works.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

50 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sound analysis, and you're right.

I'm not bothered by the media event so much, especially from a candidate's point of view. They're a relatively common PR tool that most any candidate would use, left or right. If they don't try, they're a fool.

There is also nothing inherently wrong with reporters attending such events. That said, the candidates are trying to trade access for favoritism. And reporters should be incredibly weary of such events. 

When I was a reporter, I hated all this shit. I was mostly a business reporter and I despised most unnecessary press conferences, off-the-record meetings, whatever. All of it was meant to control their message, and in turn, control me. Irritated me and I would try to avoid them if I could.

@smltwnrckr might have a different take than me on this. I dealt with politicians plenty in regard to business policy, but he covered politics more than me, I believe.

17 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

That's how the media works.

Thanks to Wikileaks, we know Haberman reliably carries the water for Clinton, and Thrush has given Podesta an advanced look at at least one story and wanted Podesta to keep it a secret that he did so. It isn't that much of a leap to think that if they accepted an invite to the dinner, maybe the others who did are being partisan for Clinton as well. 

15 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Sound analysis, and you're right.

I'm not bothered by the media event so much, especially from a candidate's point of view. They're a relatively common PR tool that most any candidate would use, left or right. If they don't try, they're a fool.

There is also nothing inherently wrong with reporters attending such events. That said, the candidates are trying to trade access for favoritism. And reporters should be incredibly weary of such events. 

When I was a reporter, I hated all this shit. I was mostly a business reporter and I despised most unnecessary press conferences, off-the-record meetings, whatever. All of it was meant to control their message, and in turn, control me. Irritated me and I would try to avoid them if I could.

@smltwnrckr might have a different take than me on this. I dealt with politicians plenty in regard to business policy, but he covered politics more than me, I believe.

Thanks. I know there is some give and take that allows a journalist to do their job well when it really counts. You need to have working relationships with those you cover day in and day out. But man, that's a lot of media firepower on that list. (tinfoil hat on) If that group were working to help the Clinton campaign, you could shape media narratives pretty damn easy (tinfoil hat off).