Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ph90702

Should Northern and Southern Nevada split into two states?

55 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Both parts of the state have different political interests, and the North steals money from the South.  Also, until the mid 1960's, less than 10% of the state controlled more than 50% of the senate.

First, we don't steal money from you.  Washoe and Clark Counties support the services in rural areas.  That's the way it is in every state.  And what do you mean by the 10% controlling 50%. Before the 1960s, Reno was the largest city in the Nevada.  Now Vegas is.  Typically, the largest city in a State like ours has the most control. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

26 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

@#1Stunner @Half Neslon is actively working to make almost all of Nevada part of Deseret. Prepare to refer to your schools as UD-R and UDLV.  

250px-State_of_Deseret,_vector_image_cro

This is how it should have been done!!!

It would have rivaled Texas.  And that part of Wyoming should have always been aligned with Utah.  I'd like greater expansion into Idaho.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Both parts of the state have different political interests, and the North steals money from the South.  Also, until the mid 1960's, less than 10% of the state controlled more than 50% of the senate.

Yes, it makes sense.

I'd like to see Las Vegas annexed into Idaho.

If you're going to start the state splitting game there are many other examples to start with, IMO.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

8 minutes ago, happycamper said:

If you're going to start the state splitting game there are many other examples to start with, IMO.

California, Texas, New York...just to name a few. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

Washington/Oregon/Idaho, Western CO/Utah, Eastern CO/Nebraska Panhandle....

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

UNLV and UNR both steal money from the rurals.

What should happen is Washoe and Clark counties should be given to California where they would feel more comfortable.

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

1 hour ago, mugtang said:

11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Washington/Oregon/Idaho, Western CO/Utah, Eastern CO/Nebraska Panhandle....

I'm sure you could pretty much say this about every state that has one dominant city.

11 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

UNLV and UNR both steal money from the rurals.

What should happen is Washoe and Clark counties should be given to California where they would feel more comfortable.

Lol no.  How do the universities steal money from the rural areas?

2 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

They take hard earned tax dollars and use it to turn good people into racist ignorant liberal city slickers. 

I guess they failed with me. I'm a tolerant, caring libetarian. :D 

37 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I'm sure you could pretty much say this about every state that has one dominant city.

IDK if that is true. States like Massachusetts, Rhode Island, North Carolina, Utah, Iowa, Indiana, New Mexico all seem to be about right. The issue is when the big city is on one side of the state and there's a more natural dividing line in the middle of the state. The west is rife with these because of the "draw state lines with handy dandy lat/long lines, well before they are really even inhabited" nature of it.

36 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

How about the whole country splits up into tiny kingdoms and tribes? And then into even smaller ones because someone over there is always mean to someone over here. That worked really well in the past.

We're not really talking about balkanization, we're talking about re-forming our internal divisions to serve their population better. As I state above, from about Kansas east we did a pretty good job with our internal divisions barring a few outliers and from Wyoming west we did a pretty poor job barring a few outliers.

I like the idea of dividing the Silver State into two

The state of Nevada for ppl who know how to "talk right".

The State of Nuhvodduh for ppl who speak like they have peanut butter stuck to the top of their mouths.

#GitRdun

12667677.jpeg

54 minutes ago, happycamper said:

IDK if that is true. States like Massachusetts, Rhode Island, North Carolina, Utah, Iowa, Indiana, New Mexico all seem to be about right. The issue is when the big city is on one side of the state and there's a more natural dividing line in the middle of the state. The west is rife with these because of the "draw state lines with handy dandy lat/long lines, well before they are really even inhabited" nature of it.

We're not really talking about balkanization, we're talking about re-forming our internal divisions to serve their population better. As I state above, from about Kansas east we did a pretty good job with our internal divisions barring a few outliers and from Wyoming west we did a pretty poor job barring a few outliers.

I agree with skier, in New Mexico, you have the Rio Grande Valley (Santa Fe and ABQ) and then the rest of the state. That works politically, economically and culturally. The Northeast part of the state aspires to be part of Colorado and the Southeast, part of Texas. The rural oil and gas producing counties pay for the others to live the lefty environmentally conscientious superior lifestyle.

29 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

I agree with skier, in New Mexico, you have the Rio Grande Valley (Santa Fe and ABQ) and then the rest of the state. That works politically, economically and culturally. The Northeast part of the state aspires to be part of Colorado and the Southeast, part of Texas. The rural oil and gas producing counties pay for the others to live the lefty environmentally conscientious superior lifestyle.

Fair enough, thanks. TBH I have only been to Santa Fe/ABQ and Gallup (my grandma is from Cortez, CO) and it always seemed to me like southwestern CO was closer to being New Mexico than visa versa. I have not been to any part of the state by Texas or oil and gas parts so I concede the point.