Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at UCLA

DATE: Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016

KICKOFF: 5:07 pm PT

SITE: Rose Bowl (92,542/Natural Grass), Pasadena, CA

TELEVISION: Pac-12 Network (Ted Robinson, Yogi Roth & Cindy Brunson)

RADIO: ESPN 1100 AM & 100.9 FM (Russ Langer & Mike Pritchard)

ONLINE: Live Stats at www.unlvrebels.com 

Despite the two campuses standing just 283 miles apart, UNLV and UCLA have met only once on the football field as the Bruins won 37-3 on Sept. 12, 2015 

UNLV will be taking the field in LA County for the fi rst time since its only trip to play USC in 1997

The Rebels have played seven schools that were members of the Pac-12 Conference at the time of the game and have a 4-15 record in those outings

The Rebels will be making their debut on the Pac-12 Network, which is available in Southern Nevada on Cox 334/1334 HD, DISH 409 and CenturyLink 682/1682 HD

The Rebels are looking to win their opening road game of a season for the fi rst time since downing Utah State in Logan in 2007 and are playing to start a season 2-0 for the fi rst time since College Football Hall of Famer John Robinson’s fi rst season coaching the program in 1999

UNLV had the ball in the red zone 5 times coming away with 4 TD's against Jackson St

UNLV scored 21 points off 3 JSU turnovers last week

Tony Sanchez will be going for win #5 in his UNLV career

In the Sanchez era (13 games) UNLV has scored 8 times on their first possession with all 8 scores being TD's

UNLV 100-YARD REC. GAMES
1. 12 Ryan Wolfe 2006-09
2. 11 Devante Davis 2011-14
3. 9 Devonte Boyd 2014-SA 

With his 135 yards receiving last week Devonte Boyd passed 2,000 career yards and sits at 2,019

Boyd's 135 receiving yards last week were a single game career high

UNLV has not had a MWC player of the week award winner since Devante Davis, WR Sept. 30, 2013 

LB Tau Lotulelei leads the Rebels with 25 career starts

LB Ryan McAleenan leads the Rebels with 22 straight starts

UNLV saw five true freshmen play in the 2016 opener (all offensive players: OL Jaron Caldwell, OL Julio Garcia, RB Charles Williams, WR Mekhi Stevenson and WR Elijah Trosclair

Including red-shirt & grey-shirt freshmen, UNLV had 14 total freshmen on the field vs. Jackson State

After going two entire seasons without a defensive touchdown, UNLV has turned in fi ve in the last 10 games dating back to last year

The Rebels upped their record in home-openers to 30-19 with the win over JSU last week

Boyd has caught at least one pass in all 26 games at UNLV

UNLV has not returned a KO for a TD since Oct. 29, 2009 vs Colorado State

UNLV has not returned a punt for a TD since  Oct. 13, 2001 vs San Diego St

The last time UNLV shout-out an opponent on the road was Nov. 12, 1983 vs Cal- St Fullerton

No online streaming for this game?

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

7 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

No online streaming for this game?

If it is on the Pac 12 network it should be on goatd.net just make sure to have an add blocker such as ublockorgins or plus.

firstrow might have it as well but the site is not as clean.

UNLV 

INJURY REPORT

Sophomore wide receiver Brandon Presley is out this week with a foot injury. Presley, who took Kendal Keys’ starting spot after Keys had season-ending knee surgery, had one catch for 14 yards in UNLV’s 63-13 season-opening win over Jackson State on Thursday at Sam Boyd Stadium. True freshman Mekhi Stevenson, who had one catch for 11 yards in the opener, will start in Presley’s place.

* Junior quarterback Kurt Palandech is still suffering from a sore right throwing shoulder and strained biceps that kept him out of the opener and will be the team’s No. 3 QB at UCLA behind starter Johnny Stanton and backup Dalton Sneed.

* Sanchez limped around practice with the help of a crutch after suffering a sprained knee over the weekend. “I’ll rub some dirt on it and I’ll be fine,” he said. “I stepped in the wrong hole.”

1 hour ago, CockyUNLVPoster said:

I thought I read that the pac12 was going to use Twitter to live stream games this year.  I could be wrong.

I'll check that out. I don't want to have to drag someone to Buffalo Wild Wings in primetime and see if they change the channel for me.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

I'll check that out. I don't want to have to drag someone to Buffalo Wild Wings in primetime and see if they change the channel for me.

I was able to watch every single MWC game last year home and away on goatd.net aside from those on the digital network or altitude.  It just comes down to if you find those places morally objectionable.  Personally I do not given the peanuts they pay us.  P5 teams get paid 20 times or more than us but only generate 3 times the viewers so screw em.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/sep/07/underdog-rebels-preparing-for-uclas-new-offense/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

UCLA is a 26-point favorite, which is actually about a touchdown less than the Bruins were favored by last season. That shows how far oddsmakers think UNLV has come, because the line should move the other way with the change of venue.

Covering as the underdog could be a sign of improvement for the Rebels, but just like the step up in competition, moral victories aren’t something Sanchez is interested in discussing. He can still sneak in a shot at a rival, though.

“Heck, we had a team in our conference go to overtime with a I-AA school, so I don’t care what the lines are,” Sanchez said. “The lines don’t dictate the score, the players on the field do.”

:D

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2016/sep/07/underdog-rebels-preparing-for-uclas-new-offense/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

UCLA is a 26-point favorite, which is actually about a touchdown less than the Bruins were favored by last season. That shows how far oddsmakers think UNLV has come, because the line should move the other way with the change of venue.

Covering as the underdog could be a sign of improvement for the Rebels, but just like the step up in competition, moral victories aren’t something Sanchez is interested in discussing. He can still sneak in a shot at a rival, though.

“Heck, we had a team in our conference go to overtime with a I-AA school, so I don’t care what the lines are,” Sanchez said. “The lines don’t dictate the score, the players on the field do.”

:D

0b9.gif

While I agree that the Rebs may put up a respectable fight, UCLA will not take this game lightly.  That loss at A&M will have them laser focused and pizzd off.

We couldn't pash rush Jackson State.  Rosen isn't going to be pressured.  I Don't like that at all.

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

While I agree that the Rebs may put up a respectable fight, UCLA will not take this game lightly.  That loss at A&M will have them laser focused and pizzd off.

We couldn't pash rush Jackson State.  Rosen isn't going to be pressured.  I Don't like that at all.

We're not going to stop Rosen, have to keep him off the field with the running game shortening the game, gobbling up possession time with Stanton moving the chains.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

1 hour ago, Rebels18 said:

We're not going to stop Rosen, have to keep him off the field with the running game shortening the game, gobbling up possession time with Stanton moving the chains.

I'm sure that will be the strategy. If the line gets up to 28 I might join you in wagering. Looks like the line is creeping down, though.

5 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Rosen is not the greatest QB - he will put up numbers but he can also toss incompletions and INT's - last season as a Frosh, Rosen was 22-42 with 1 INT vs UNLV & the game was 17-0 at the half with 7 coming off a god awful Palendech INT he flung right as a UCLA defender while being sacked.

Not sure UNLV can grind out enough yards on the ground to eat up clock..........though I think UNLV will use a balanced offense vs UCLA............Sanchez likes to run, but this teams strength might be the QB to WR's with the running game keeping the opponent honest..............UNLV has small RB's and will have to rotate them to keep them fresh and from taking a pounding...........Reb's don't have a Frank Summers to pound the ball 

UNLV's OL will be the key..........if they can run block, then the Rebs might get some rushing yards