Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

NORTHERN ILLINOIS AT WYOMING

10 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Here is my biggest worry and what I think will make for a long year.  Wyoming still does not have the needed size on D yet, especially against a big senior laden Oline like NIU.  IF NIU is smart, they will pound the ball all day.  The Wyoming offense will have to score a lot for a Wyoming win.  

NIU Offensive Line (mainly Seniors)

LT--6'5 309

LG--6'5 312

C--6'2 285

RG--6'5 307

RT--6'6 311

Wyoming Defensive Line 

DE--6'5 243 backup is 253

NT--6'0 268 (back up 6'3 300 but young)

DT--6'4 279 (back ups are 290 and 284)

DE--6'1" 237  backup 6'2 215 (runs a 4.4)

*The ends are smaller in weight, but are faster than what we had last year.   Granderson was in the backfield a lot, but weighed only 200 last year.    Only two upperclassmen in the group.

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

the reason I think Pokes have a legitimate shot in this game is NIU gave up 260, 230 and 277 rushing yards its last 3 games last year.  If Wyoming can run and control the ball and not turn it over it should keep NIU offense off the field. 

Last year, teams that new better stacked the box on us.  I'm believing Josh will make our offense multi dimensional, which will open things up for Hill & Wick.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 hour ago, CO_Poke said:

Wyo's o-line is identical in size to NIUs. Our D-line is slightly smaller than theirs, but when our backup NG is in our d-line is about the same as theirs. So the line size advantage is a small one.

A lot gets made of the small size of our d-ends, but to your point they are fast.

I'm more concerned that NIU is a veteran team and they know how to win. It will be a battle for sure.

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Not in football. 20-25 second breaks punctuated by 5-6 seconds of action isn't all that strenuous. 

oh yeah it is. Just walking the stairs can be noticed.   You'll see NIU looking more tired in 2nd half.  But teams often do a lot of subbing in Laramie too.

11 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Here is my biggest worry and what I think will make for a long year.  Wyoming still does not have the needed size on D yet, especially against a big senior laden Oline like NIU.  IF NIU is smart, they will pound the ball all day.  The Wyoming offense will have to score a lot for a Wyoming win.  

NIU Offensive Line (mainly Seniors)

LT--6'5 309

LG--6'5 312

C--6'2 285

RG--6'5 307

RT--6'6 311

Wyoming Defensive Line 

DE--6'5 227

NT--6'0 268 (back up 6'3 310 but young)

DT--6'4 285 

DE--6'2 215 (back up 6'2 274 but young)

I wouldn't worry too much about that for two reasons.  First NIU primarily runs zone plays out of the spread where size is not as big an issue as a power, gap scheme offense like what your offense runs.  Second, if your defensive scheme incorporates lots of stunts, slants, and blitzes then smaller, but quicker, DL can cause all sorts of havoc for a bigger OL.

1 minute ago, Fowl said:

I wouldn't worry too much about that for two reasons.  First NIU primarily runs zone plays out of the spread where size is not as big an issue as a power, gap scheme offense like what your offense runs.  Second, if your defensive scheme incorporates lots of stunts, slants, and blitzes then smaller, but quicker, DL can cause all sorts of havoc for a bigger OL.

One can only hope we have a defensive scheme this year :)

20 hours ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

This game is intriguing because NIU plays WYO and SDSU two weeks later (17 SEP).  I don't think it reasonable to expect the NIU team that played Boise State in the Poinsettia Bowl. Drew Hare will be back at QB and he is markedly better than Graham or Fiedler. I think Wyoming will have to play to their potential to beat NIU, but I think SDSU will dominate the Huskies.  Hopefully both can defeat NIU and bolster the MWC OOC record.  

The NIU games scares me. No matter what Rocky may say, you can bet each Aztec has made a mental note that a week from Saturday, we host Cal. If SDSU should win that one, the players could easily have difficulty focusing on NIU so I see no  way we're going to dominate a good program like that at their house.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 minutes ago, pokerider said:

oh yeah it is. Just walking the stairs can be noticed.   You'll see NIU looking more tired in 2nd half.  But teams often do a lot of subbing in Laramie too.

Todd Christensen played at Laramie twice and was interviewed about that on the Mtn network. What he stated confirmed Bob's comment. Which is to say he didn't notice any difference playing at 7200 feet. Christensen did say he once spoke with a few BYU basketball players and they told him playing in Laramie was considerably harder than anywhere else they had played because that sport can create stretches of a few consecutive minutes of sprinting without a respite.

Boom goes the dynamite.

I think things are looking up for Wyoming this year.  I really like what Bohl is doing there and I thinks it fits perfectly with Wyoming's inherent strengths and weaknesses.  I expect 4-5 wins and perhaps bowl eligibility this year and bowl eligible next year when the younger guys are upper-classmen.

I'm certainly going to be watching this game as we get NIU in two weeks and I want to see how they defend your offense considering it's much like ours. 

21 minutes ago, Bob said:

Not in football. 20-25 second breaks punctuated by 5-6 seconds of action isn't all that strenuous. 

As far as altitude, it matters if the teams are somewhat closely matched and the visiting team is coming from sea level.  I think altitude affected the Ole Miss players when they came out.  They were huffing on the oxygen beginning in the third quarter, that was an SEC team.

Last year with our team, I think if you moved the War to the top of Gannett Peak it wouldn't have mattered much.

I am just wanting to get a sense of if the Pokes have improved from last year.  I would love to see the Pokes come out and punch NIU in the mouth, figuratively of course.  Will that happen, well after the past four seasons, the Pokes will have to show me on the field before I show much confidence beyond the optimistic hope typical of many sports fans before the season starts.

That said I will be at the game, and one way or another I will be hoarse come Sunday.

Here is Bohl's press conference

Bohl 2016 Week 1 pregame conference

I will say the comment "The cavalry is coming" shows much more optimism from Bohl.  I think his attitude last year and year before was the Calvary is coming.

1 hour ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

I will say the comment "The cavalry is coming" shows much more optimism from Bohl.  I think his attitude last year and year before was the Calvary is coming.

I have noticed a remarkable difference in Bohl's attitude about this team in his interviews this year vs. years' past.  He was always saying "we knew coming in this was a complete rebuild.  it's a process.  Gonna take time.  etc"  he has never really spoken with much confidence about this team yet...until that press conference.  so...i think he is feeling a little more confident.  but hey...we won 2 games last year.  hard to go anywhere but up.  Go Pokes!  Let's beat NIU.  

MWLogo.jpg

2 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

The WyoLotto logo on the  backdrop behind Coach Bohl is so apropos regarding Wyoming's season...'Just Maybe'

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

On August 30, 2016 at 9:01 AM, UNLV2001 said:

Saturday, September 3
War Memorial Stadium (29,181) • Laramie, Wyoming 8:30 p.m. MT • CBS Sports Network Dwayne Ballen (PBP), Adam Archuleta (analyst), Cassie McKinney (sideline)

THE SERIES
First Meeting

Current streak: NIU lost 3; Wyoming won 1

Wyoming’s Josh Allen will make his second career start in the 2016 opener

Wyoming has won eight of its last 10 home openers

In terms of true season openers, the Cowboys are 1-1 under head coach Craig Bohl and are 7-3 in their last 10

Wyoming RB Brian Hill, a junior, needs to rush for 537 yards to break the program record for rushing yards in a career. This record is currently held by Devin Moore, who rushed for 2,963 yards from 2005-08

Wyoming has lost five straight non-conference contests and six of its last nine. The last non-conference victory for the Cowboys came on Sept. 20, 2014 against Florida Atlantic (20-19)

Cowboys DB Andrew Wingard racked up 123 total tackles as a freshman in 2015. This figure was the most by a freshman and the 12th-most nationally. Among returning players in 2016, Wingard’s 123 stops rank fourth

Sept. 3 represents the first time Northern Illinois has opened its season on the road since 2013, when the Huskies beat Iowa (30-27). NIU is 1-8 when opening on the road since 2000

Over the last five seasons, Northern Illinois has won 57 games, the fourth-most among all FBS teams behind Oregon (60), Alabama (58) and Florida State (58)

niu is 1-8 opening on the road since 2000.giving 10pt to wyoming.#2million.

On 8/31/2016 at 9:30 AM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The NIU games scares me. No matter what Rocky may say, you can bet each Aztec has made a mental note that a week from Saturday, we host Cal. If SDSU should win that one, the players could easily have difficulty focusing on NIU so I see no  way we're going to dominate a good program like that at their house.

NIU's a good team and shouldn't be overlooked by anyone.  On the one hand I sure wish we had a patsy to start our season.  On the other, why not buckle up and play a good team and see what we've got.

20 hours ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Will my drive back to Cheyenne at midnight Saturday night feel like a 15 minute drive or 2 hr drive?

On 8/31/2016 at 9:36 AM, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Todd Christensen played at Laramie twice and was interviewed about that on the Mtn network. What he stated confirmed Bob's comment. Which is to say he didn't notice any difference playing at 7200 feet. Christensen did say he once spoke with a few BYU basketball players and they told him playing in Laramie was considerably harder than anywhere else they had played because that sport can create stretches of a few consecutive minutes of sprinting without a respite.

Todd Christensen the one who played at Provo?  Provo is already at 4,550 feet, not a huge difference.  I can see what you are saying for football vs basketball for someone coming from 4,000 to 5,000 foot  elevation to Laramie.  It is different from near sea level (830 ft for DeKalb, IL) to Laramie though.  Elevation is relative to what you are acclimated for.  Heck, a Sherpa would be unsure of what to do with all the air at 7,220 feet.  However, as I posted earlier, it only matters if the two team are close enough for the game to be competitive in the first place. 

4 hours ago, pokebball said:

Will my drive back to Cheyenne at midnight Saturday night feel like a 15 minute drive or 2 hr drive?

I sure am hoping for 15 minutes unless the 2hr drive happens because of traffic with all the hotels in Laramie being booked and every poke fan is driving back to Cheyenne at the same time after some celebrating on the field.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Todd Christensen the one who played at Provo?  Provo is already at 4,550 feet, not a huge difference.  I can see what you are saying for football vs basketball for someone coming from 4,000 to 5,000 foot  elevation to Laramie.  It is different from near sea level (830 ft for DeKalb, IL) to Laramie though.  Elevation is relative to what you are acclimated for.  Heck, a Sherpa would be unsure of what to do with all the air at 7,220 feet.  However, as I posted earlier, it only matters if the two team are close enough for the game to be competitive in the first place. 

I sure am hoping for 15 minutes unless the 2hr drive happens because of traffic with all the hotels in Laramie being booked and every poke fan is driving back to Cheyenne at the same time after some celebrating on the field.

Assuming it feels like a 15 minute drive, I'd be so pumped that I couldn't get to sleep for a couple of hours.