Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

NORTHERN ILLINOIS AT WYOMING

Saturday, September 3
War Memorial Stadium (29,181) • Laramie, Wyoming 8:30 p.m. MT • CBS Sports Network Dwayne Ballen (PBP), Adam Archuleta (analyst), Cassie McKinney (sideline)

THE SERIES
First Meeting

Current streak: NIU lost 3; Wyoming won 1

Wyoming’s Josh Allen will make his second career start in the 2016 opener

Wyoming has won eight of its last 10 home openers

In terms of true season openers, the Cowboys are 1-1 under head coach Craig Bohl and are 7-3 in their last 10

Wyoming RB Brian Hill, a junior, needs to rush for 537 yards to break the program record for rushing yards in a career. This record is currently held by Devin Moore, who rushed for 2,963 yards from 2005-08

Wyoming has lost five straight non-conference contests and six of its last nine. The last non-conference victory for the Cowboys came on Sept. 20, 2014 against Florida Atlantic (20-19)

Cowboys DB Andrew Wingard racked up 123 total tackles as a freshman in 2015. This figure was the most by a freshman and the 12th-most nationally. Among returning players in 2016, Wingard’s 123 stops rank fourth

Sept. 3 represents the first time Northern Illinois has opened its season on the road since 2013, when the Huskies beat Iowa (30-27). NIU is 1-8 when opening on the road since 2000

Over the last five seasons, Northern Illinois has won 57 games, the fourth-most among all FBS teams behind Oregon (60), Alabama (58) and Florida State (58)

This game is intriguing because NIU plays WYO and SDSU two weeks later (17 SEP).  I don't think it reasonable to expect the NIU team that played Boise State in the Poinsettia Bowl. Drew Hare will be back at QB and he is markedly better than Graham or Fiedler. I think Wyoming will have to play to their potential to beat NIU, but I think SDSU will dominate the Huskies.  Hopefully both can defeat NIU and bolster the MWC OOC record.  

24570143_BSUBACKGROUNDBANNERANDY1AWELCOME.png.5fa1e131a0fec4c26c0be2f4d0a420eb.png

망치를 가진 남자에게는, 모든것이 못처럼 보인다.

원숭이도 나무에서 떨어진다.

Zero idea where the Pokes will be for this game?  

Hoping our QB/Nose Tackle turns out to be a gem.  

I will be watching with interest while simultaneously preparing for a glorious victory or a bloody massacre.  It would be nice to see signs of this Bohl Ball everyone keeps talking about.

As usual, thanks for the preview Reb!  This is now how I mark the opening of the season each year.

Go Pokes!

bronco2.gif

I am pulling hard for the Pokes in this one. I have a good feeling about this game for Wyo.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

13 minutes ago, AfriPoke said:

Zero idea where the Pokes will be for this game?  

Hoping our QB/Nose Tackle turns out to be a gem.  

I will be watching with interest while simultaneously preparing for a glorious victory or a bloody massacre.  It would be nice to see signs of this Bohl Ball everyone keeps talking about.

As usual, thanks for the preview Reb!  This is now how I mark the opening of the season each year.

The only thing I know is we are more experienced and bigger across all positions.     Bohl has been quoted saying Josh Allen is the most improved player on the team.  And, he has all the tools (6'5", 230, 4.6, and has a canon) to be a great QB.   

Starting to get nervous.........football season is here.

7000' will be a big factor.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

11 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

7000' will be a big factor.

It's certainly a factor for teams with less player depth.  NIU has been a fine program in recent years.  Playing in a lesser conference but still solid nonetheless.  I don't however have a handle on their overall team depth.

31 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Our offense should be better this year.  I think we've got a much better QB and all of our skilled positions.  The defense has to improve significantly over the past two years and contribute or we're looking at a 4-5 win season.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Brian Hill is just a good story all the way around.  Like that guy and he's fun to watch.

It could be that I'm old and cranky but this has been the longest offseason I can remember.  About friggin time!

Go Pokes!

bronco2.gif

Here is my biggest worry and what I think will make for a long year.  Wyoming still does not have the needed size on D yet, especially against a big senior laden Oline like NIU.  IF NIU is smart, they will pound the ball all day.  The Wyoming offense will have to score a lot for a Wyoming win.  

NIU Offensive Line (mainly Seniors)

LT--6'5 309

LG--6'5 312

C--6'2 285

RG--6'5 307

RT--6'6 311

Wyoming Defensive Line 

DE--6'5 227

NT--6'0 268 (back up 6'3 310 but young)

DT--6'4 285 

DE--6'2 215 (back up 6'2 274 but young)

the reason I think Pokes have a legitimate shot in this game is NIU gave up 260, 230 and 277 rushing yards its last 3 games last year.  If Wyoming can run and control the ball and not turn it over it should keep NIU offense off the field.