Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raadsel

Allegedly MWC starting to make moves to get AAC teams

Just now, AztecSU said:

All of the highest rated games non-P5 games (i.e. value games for distributors) typically involve Independents (ND, BYU, Army) or the MW and AAC. By grouping together you make ESPN et al pay a little more on the bargain rate they've been getting. 

I think ESPN is tapped out.  They aren't throwing money at the MWC or AAC.  Maybe 1 or 2 Indy contracts (include Boise in that), but that is it.

That leaves the AAC with FOX, CBS, or NBC.

Well, Fox has enough .... they are probably out too.

CBS is terrible.

MWC next TV contract needs to go with NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus).  And all schools need to keep their own 3rd tier rights.

1 hour ago, Half Neslon said:

I think ESPN is tapped out.  They aren't throwing money at the MWC or AAC.  Maybe 1 or 2 Indy contracts (include Boise in that), but that is it.

CBS is terrible.

MWC next TV contract needs to go with NBC Sports Network (formerly Versus).  And all schools need to keep their own 3rd tier rights.

I can guarantee you only the top 20 to 30 or so P5's really make money for the networks...the rest is made from their G5 contracts(in reference to CFB contracts only). Think about it. They're paying the bottom half of the big conference teams 10 to 20 times what they pay MW and AAC schools to get the same  or even worse ratings. 

This is more obvious when you look at how un-proportional pay is when you scale it from the bottom of the market to the top. 

1 hour ago, Half Neslon said:

CBS is terrible.

That's part of the reason a Best of the Rest Conference would be attractive to ESPN.  You have one conference that can provide more games without overlap due to Time Zone differences and strategic start times (more commercial inventory for the TV network) and more highly viewed matchups...you can let Fox, CBS or NBC pick up the Worst of the Rest Conferences, if they are so predisposed.

If you're ESPN you take the current combined contracts of the MWC and the AAC, and give everybody in the Best of the Rest an approximate 50% raise, while you increase your inventory, increase the quality of the matchups and have less expense.  From a business perspective, what's not to like?

3 hours ago, Half Neslon said:

CBS is terrible.

Hair is working with HSN to get some games on there....

ESPN is locked in with the SEC and AAC until the 2030s, plus the MAC til 2027.  Eastern time zone content is their bread and butter, and more than half of the SEC teams are in the Central Time zone already so they have a fair amount of content for that market as well.   I agree with the speculation that ESPN would walk away from American right now if they could.

If Big 12 expansion doesn't get ESPN out of their agreement the American, I would imagine ESPN would have reasons to lowball in a few years when they renegotiate.  http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/football/aac-tv-deal-is-with-espn-cbs-sports/article_be99055d-ac62-502c-9ce3-eb99bb0f59aa.html

The MW will negotiate after the 2020 season as well.  http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/9076416/espn-mountain-west-conference-announce-multiyear-rights-deal

The MW may have an opportunity because the Pac 12 network is not an ESPN property and there is relatively less content for the Mountain and Pacific times on ESPN.  As much as speculation about Fox, CBS or NBC is fun, the exposure from an ESPN exclusive is the highest profile for the Mountain West conference.

There would seem to be  interest from ESPN in the MW simply to have more 7 - 7:30 PM  games because they are broadcast after games on the East Coast end; both football and hoops do this.  Hopefully the MW will reopen fairly soon after the  Big 12, Pac 12 and B1G renegotiate in 2025 or so.

Houston is a good all-around school (football, basketball, baseball), they're in a large city with a supportive fan base who can afford to travel.

SMU has a large city, good football heritage, a fan base who can afford to travel, and excellent academics. 

Tulane has a large city, a great baseball program, a fan base who can afford to travel, and excellent academics. Very poor fan support.

8 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

By the time push might come to shove, neither of you would be going anywhere.

Bullet Bob Kustra has more juice and brassier balls than anybody in this conference and will continue so as long as Boise continues to win a lot of football games. Does anybody think it's outside the realm of possibility that Kustra could push for retrenchment and the jettisoning of two schools? I'm sure SDSU and Fresno State would get political pressure to oppose SJSU being booted out but what if Boise tried to broker a compromise through the Nevada schools, UNM and/or USU? And what if Wyoming's historical rival CSU leaves for the B12 as I now think might actually happen? No way as a charter member Wyoming would ever be put in a Temple-like position you say? Don't be so sure.

Boise doesn't have the power to kick out UNLV and/or Nevada even if they wanted to. And I doubt they have the power against anyone else unless the numbers were undeniable and consistently poor. SJSU doesn't need to draw big fans to remain in the MWC, they just need to win enough. 

And Boise might end up only being the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conf. in plenty of seasons. It already happened last year. 

kat.jpg

9 hours ago, Half Neslon said:

CBS is terrible.

Fox might be interested in some east coast inventory....

v0icAvfW.jpg

I don't agree about the 7 PM start time.  Varsity high school football is a 7 PM Friday start in most places so it isn't that weird to players.

Fans have more time to party with an evening start. Lots of kids are playing sports Saturday mornings and it is kids who play sports who are easier to make a fan than kids who don't play sports.

If the east coast college football games start at 1 PM eastern, that's a 10 PM Pacific start (duh).  Most east coast college games start around 3 pm or 7:30 so west coast teams only get east coast exposure late night if at all.

10 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Boise doesn't have the power to kick out UNLV and/or Nevada even if they wanted to. And I doubt they have the power against anyone else unless the numbers were undeniable and consistently poor. SJSU doesn't need to draw big fans to remain in the MWC, they just need to win enough. 

And Boise might end up only being the 2nd or 3rd best team in the conf. in plenty of seasons. It already happened last year. 

That's not what he said... although I agree that a few losing seasons at this level and power diminishes quickly.

15 hours ago, pokerider said:

Hair is working with HSN to get some games on there....

No, he's been speaking with Larry Scott to move MW games to the Pac-12 Network. They've already agreed on a name for those games: Pac-12 Lightweight.

It was Hairball who suggested it. "Sounds much better than Mountain West," he said.

Personally, I don't like the concept because the Pac won't move the start times for its games so SDSU home games would kick off at 9:00 a.m. PST. However, Scott supposedly said the Pac was willing to pay the MWC a higher per-broadcast fee than the conference has been making. Something like $25 per game!

Boom goes the dynamite.

56 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

That's not what he said... although I agree that a few losing seasons at this level and power diminishes quickly.

You get the today's gold star for reading comprehension. Convert gets a :P.

Boom goes the dynamite.

MHver3 smells like Yoda, in every way.

But the MWC is in an interesting position to capitalize on potential weakness in the AAC.

I'd go slow, but grab a few programs go for a championship game in Vegas. WAC-16-ish Part II.

ESPN will pay for value - solid games at good times for the Network. They'd pay a stronger MWC more.

Go Cougars