Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRed702

Las Vegas NHL team name

I like Nighthawks also

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

4 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

Just kind of dumb because of the Blackhawks. 

True. Maybe the Desert Ice for a name. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Damn I was hoping they could use the Black Knights as the owner, a West Point graduate was originally hoping for.  According to Wiki there are 2 species of hawks found in Nevada with red in their name, Red-shouldered and Red-tailed hawks.  I typically like team names and mascots to reflect something unique or relevant to the city, state or region they are in.  Of those three I like Red Hawks best.  Red Hawks has worked well for the Miami of Ohio hockey team.  Desert Hawks would be OK.  Night Hawks I just think is kind of cheesy.

Night Hawks are also native to the area. Honestly I'm not too keen on any of the "Hawk" names - namely because of the Blackhawks. Also, we already have the Red Wings, do we really need the Red Hawks as well?

Wish they just would have shortened it to Knights.... the Vegas Knights. There's so many play on words and slogans that could go with it and then we would have the Knights and Kings in the same division too.

I could see a billboard on I-15 that says: Vegas, experience the Knight life!

Any mascot with "Hawks" is very generic, and doesn't build on Las Vegas's reputation.

Aces (fighter pilot Ace) is still, by far, the best choice.  Not sure why they aren't running with this idea:

2 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

Night Hawks are also native to the area. Honestly I'm not too keen on any of the "Hawk" names - namely because of the Blackhawks. Also, we already have the Red Wings, do we really need the Red Hawks as well?

Wish they just would have shortened it to Knights.... the Vegas Knights. There's so many play on words and slogans that could go with it and then we would have the Knights and Kings in the same division too.

I could see a billboard on I-15 that says: Vegas, experience the Knight life!

"He also ran into copyright issues with the “Knights” name because of the London Knights in Canada’s major junior league"

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Nighthawks is by far the best of those 3.

Common in the Las Vegas area.

Majority of their movement at night, like Vegas locals and tourists.

Not the biggest fan since there are the blackhawks, but it's definitely something I could get behind and embrace.

Could be a lot worse.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

8 minutes ago, Half Neslon said:

Any mascot with "Hawks" is very generic, and doesn't build on Las Vegas's reputation.

Aces (fighter pilot Ace) is still, by far, the best choice.  Not sure why they aren't running with this idea:

I believe it was mentioned in one of the press conferences that the NHL specifically requested no mascots or themes that were associated with the gaming industry. This eliminates the "Aces" even if the focus is on the flying variety.

I still like the Pappagiorgios.

NPlo53WcTTqPAcsVLKTw_11009159_1020671164

Those three names are atrocious. If you're worried about trademark issues, Nighthawks is way too similar to Blackhawks. Red Hawks is completely generic and sounds like it belongs as an ECHL team name, not an NHL Team. Desert Hawks is okay (again, generic) I guess, but one of the Coyotes nicknames is the Desert Dogs.

None jump out. If they are going in the direction of birds, then word play on roadrunners. They are all over Vegas, once one leaves the strip area, they can be seen sprinting by. Ice birds, ice runners or Ice Hawks . Really, either of the first two.