Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Half Neslon

OT - Idaho Falls Events Center Arena moving forward

I want to update the board on the construction progress of the Idaho Falls Events Center Arena (new arena in Idaho Falls, Idaho).

A general contractor has been hired, and the project is moving forward:

Events_Center01.jpg

IDAHO FALLS AUDITORIUM DISTRICT CHOOSES GENERAL CONTRACTOR FOR EVENTS CENTER

http://www.eastidahonews.com/2016/07/idaho-falls-auditorium-district-chooses-general-contractor-events-center/

This venue is going to be very nice.

Boise should schedule 1 "neutral" basketball game per season in Idaho Falls.

It would be a huge draw and a sellout.  Idaho Falls is sort of an untapped market right now that the MWC needs to try and claim.

@BroncoOrange, I wouldn't mind if you took some photos and posted them, once construction starts.

3 minutes ago, FresnoFanatic said:

What are you talking about?  BYU owns Idaho Falls!

Yes.  But there is at least one cold heart there (maybe a few) that are actually cheering for Boise, believe it or not.

This new venue will be amazing for neutral games.

Don't you think Idaho Falls is pretty much locked down by BYU and to a lesser extent Idaho State and BYU-Idaho via local alumni?  If your intention is to draw attention to the MWC I don't think the occasional BSU game there would mean much.  Maybe they host a basketball or volleyball tournament there involving the closest regional MWC (BSU, USU, UW) schools and BYU.  Either way BYU has, does and will always own that market.

6 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Don't you think Idaho Falls is pretty much locked down by BYU and to a lesser extent Idaho State and BYU-Idaho via local alumni?  If your intention is to draw attention to the MWC I don't think the occasional BSU game there would mean much.  Maybe they host a basketball or volleyball tournament there involving the closest regional MWC (BSU, USU, UW) schools and BYU.  Either way BYU has, does and will always own that market.

I'm told that Idaho Falls is almost evenly split, between Boise and BYU now.

3 minutes ago, Half Neslon said:

A native uprising?  Hmm that's interesting and if this is indeed the case then go Broncos!  I travel to the Idaho Falls area 6-7 times per year and don't recall seeing any signs of Bronco influence.  To be fair though I haven't really thought to pay close attention to it either.

1 hour ago, Half Neslon said:

Boise State has become very popular in Idaho Falls over the past 10 years.  BYU-Idaho grads are all over Idaho Falls, but when I go to church in Idaho Falls, BSU comes up in conversation just as frequently as BYU.

3 minutes ago, Antarctic79 said:

Boise State has become very popular in Idaho Falls over the past 10 years.  BYU-Idaho grads are all over Idaho Falls, but when I go to church in Idaho Falls, BSU comes up in conversation just as frequently as BYU.

My guess is that there would be a TON of interest in a Boise vs BYU basketball game at this new arena.  Play it there every few years.

When I lived in IF I found a lot of Boise supporters although the 2 girls I dated were a BYU fan and a Vandal but I disagree that Boise should play a game there. Why? What benefit to them or their program? Boise is in Boise, why take a home game away from their fans? I seriously doubt Boise cares about Tapping into that IF market. 

BTW where are they building this? 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

3 hours ago, Half Neslon said:

This venue is going to be very nice.

Boise should schedule 1 "neutral" basketball game per season in Idaho Falls.

It would be a huge draw and a sellout.  Idaho Falls is sort of an untapped market right now that the MWC needs to try and claim.

@BroncoOrange, I wouldn't mind if you took some photos and posted them, once construction starts.

If I thought you were serious then I might take you up on it. That being said, it was delayed for 5 years so I'm not sure how long it will be before they start construction.

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

A native uprising?  Hmm that's interesting and if this is indeed the case then go Broncos!  I travel to the Idaho Falls area 6-7 times per year and don't recall seeing any signs of Bronco influence.  To be fair though I haven't really thought to pay close attention to it either.

Most the apparel stores have as much or more BSU gear then BYU gear here. I wear my BSU gear a lot and see a lot of it around town.

1 hour ago, Antarctic79 said:

I would agree, there are probably just as many BSU fans in Idaho Falls as there are BYU fans. I think there are a lot of people who actually root for both teams to tell the truth.

42 minutes ago, just_chris said:

When I lived in IF I found a lot of Boise supporters although the 2 girls I dated were a BYU fan and a Vandal but I disagree that Boise should play a game there. Why? What benefit to them or their program? Boise is in Boise, why take a home game away from their fans? I seriously doubt Boise cares about Tapping into that IF market. 

I have a hunch, but I believe that Stunner or whatever the hell his name is now is just trying troll me because I live there. For the reasons they are building it? I guess the same reasons anyone else builds an event center. They claim they would like to get minor league hockey as well.

52 minutes ago, just_chris said:

The "benefit" is to reward a community with a fun game, in a brand new venue, that has been very loyal to both fanbases.

This game would be awesome.  A sell out.  Why not?

2 hours ago, Half Neslon said:

The "benefit" is to reward a community with a fun game, in a brand new venue, that has been very loyal to both fanbases.

This game would be awesome.  A sell out.  Why not?

I don't doubt it would sell out but I see no positive for Boise, should BYU go play UNLV in St George? Sure it would be fun but why take away a home game from BYU? Call me skeptical but I don't see a reason either team should do it. This isn't like BYU and Utah agreeing to play at the Delta Center or whatever the name of the arena is. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

12 minutes ago, just_chris said:

I don't doubt it would sell out but I see no positive for Boise, should BYU go play UNLV in St George?

Sure it would be fun but why take away a home game from BYU? Call me skeptical but I don't see a reason either team should do it. This isn't like BYU and Utah agreeing to play at the Delta Center or whatever the name of the arena is. 

No, because there are no significant numbers of UNLV fans in St. George, silly....  And St. George is only 1 1/2 hours from Las Vegas.  Idaho Falls is much farther from Boise and Provo.

How often do fans in Idaho Falls get to see a basketball game involving either Boise or BYU?  Not often....