Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

UNR medical school breaks ties with Southern Nevada

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/education/unr-medical-school-breaks-ties-southern-nevada

"The Reno-based institution — the state’s only currently accredited public medical school — is expected to turn over control of Las Vegas-area residency programs and send dozens of staff and faculty members to UNLV’s medical school.

The two public medical schools hope to have Las Vegas-based faculty and residents transferred from UNR to UNLV by July 1, 2017, UNLV School of Medicine spokeswoman Pamela Udall said. About 120 faculty members are expected to make the transition."
"On July 1, the school officially added “Reno” to its name, a small but symbolic step in a series of maneuvers aimed at developing the school’s brand.

It is a very emotional thing when you think about it. Our identities are incredibly personal and meaningful to us, and even a small name change can be very personal and impactful,” Piasecki said.

:crying:

1 minute ago, bigd said:

120 faculty members to UNLV, plus a bunch of facilites? Wow, that seems really crappy. What did we get out of this deal?

Nothing, which is exactly what you're gonna get when we take your water from you, too. 

2 minutes ago, aztech said:

NV-Reno has other major technology on their plate like that Tesla battery plant that's being built.

Don't forget about all their ground breaking research and development in the field of manufacturing methamphetamine. I hear they have some of the best labs in the country and are currently the industry leaders.

Non-sports thread area.

" Don't forget about all their ground breaking research and development in the field of manufacturing methamphetamine. I hear they have some of the best labs in the country and are currently the industry leaders. "

hey looks like  Saul moved to Las Vegas! 

http://www.thelasvegasdefender.com/Drug-Crimes/Meth.aspx

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 hour ago, bigd said:

120 faculty members to UNLV, plus a bunch of facilites? Wow, that seems really crappy. What did we get out of this deal?

Effective July 1st your medical school changed its name to include your city's name Reno.  So, there is that.

1 hour ago, bigd said:

What did it get? It got its best research docs out of a "community" that none of them wanted to live in the first place. So there's that. 

2 hours ago, aztech said:

NV-Reno has other major technology on their plate like that Tesla battery plant that's being built.

Didn't UNLV get the research agreement with Tesla as part of the deal? I have no idea how things like this normally work, or who paid for these facilities originally but it seems like we should at least get fair market value for them?

I really feel like Johnson could have politicized it more, and tried to get a vet school or something out of it. UNLV now has Dental, Medical, and Law while we only have a med school. Seems strange to me...

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

What did it get? It got its best research docs out of a "community" that none of them wanted to live in the first place. So there's that. 

Huh? I don't see anything mentioning the number of faculty returning to Reno. Only that 120 will now work for UNLV? Am I reading this wrong?

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Huh? I don't see anything mentioning the number of faculty returning to Reno. Only that 120 will now work for UNLV? Am I reading this wrong?

Not sure what you're reading. Read up on Renown, residency, research and such... 

1 hour ago, bigd said:

Didn't UNLV get the research agreement with Tesla as part of the deal? I have no idea how things like this normally work, or who paid for these facilities originally but it seems like we should at least get fair market value for them?

I really feel like Johnson could have politicized it more, and tried to get a vet school or something out of it. UNLV now has Dental, Medical, and Law while we only have a med school. Seems strange to me...

Of course Johnson is a total disaster when it comes to supporting athletics, but it seems like he's done a good job in the past with academics. So that seems a bit odd that he'd get (allegedly) ripped off so bad on a deal like that.

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Not sure what you're reading. Read up on Renown, residency, research and such... 

I've definitely read about the partnership with Renown, and it seems like our med school is heading in a good direction. However, there is no doubt that having another in the state will hurt us in some ways.

It just seems strange that we would hand over faculty and facilities to another university that will be competing for many of the same students. Maybe, I'm completely off base, just seems strange.

12 hours ago, Gator 82 said:

.... I hear they have some of the best labs in the country and are currently the industry leaders.

I lived in Christchurch, New Zealand in 2010-11 and experienced a couple hundred substantial (ones you could feel) earthquakes and I must say that I am happy that the University of Nevada is continuing to upgrade its seismic labs. They really are some of the best in the nation, and are very much needed!

If I had moved back to Reno after Christchurch, I would have started researching on how to cheaply retrofit buildings against earthquakes and started a company in that field. When I lived in Christchurch it reminded me of Reno. After the February 2011 earthquake, it reminded me of a war zone. We need the best labs!

16 hours ago, bigd said:

The way I read it, the Vegas based faculty are transitioning from UNR Med to UNLV Med. They are already there. Despite what our southern brothers would like to believe, most people prefer Reno to Vegas to live. Vegas to play no doubt.

On July 22, 2016 at 9:16 AM, Der Wolfie said:

I lived in Christchurch, New Zealand in 2010-11 and experienced a couple hundred substantial (ones you could feel) earthquakes and I must say that I am happy that the University of Nevada is continuing to upgrade its seismic labs. They really are some of the best in the nation, and are very much needed!

If I had moved back to Reno after Christchurch, I would have started researching on how to cheaply retrofit buildings against earthquakes and started a company in that field. When I lived in Christchurch it reminded me of Reno. After the February 2011 earthquake, it reminded me of a war zone. We need the best labs!

I loved Christchurch when I was there. Was so sad to see the destruction on some the iconic buildings after the quake. Everyone should visit New Zealand and Australia.

Great places IMO.

On 7/22/2016 at 1:20 PM, NMpackalum said:

The way I read it, the Vegas based faculty are transitioning from UNR Med to UNLV Med. They are already there. Despite what our southern brothers would like to believe, most people prefer Reno to Vegas to live. Vegas to play no doubt.

That's why Reno's population is booming compared to ours

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.