Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Morgan

San Jose State 2017 Commits

4 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

How dare they offer good athletes?

lol that's not really how this works. Guys locked in to PAC12 schools (with offers to others) aren't going to jump ship to SJSU like that. I'm not insulting SJSU, it's just not realistic for a MWC school to do that. Best shot for us with these guys is to get on them early, and late in the process (like now) is for backup plans and sleepers. You don't see us offering USC commits right now.

23 minutes ago, badfish said:

lol that's not really how this works. Guys locked in to PAC12 schools (with offers to others) aren't going to jump ship to SJSU like that. I'm not insulting SJSU, it's just not realistic for a MWC school to do that. Best shot for us with these guys is to get on them early, and late in the process (like now) is for backup plans and sleepers. You don't see us offering USC commits right now.

any p5 assistant worth his salt has a list of backup plans already; that's who he should be offering right now - the guys who were next up in line at his previous job, or were known to be wavering, etc etc

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

any p5 assistant worth his salt has a list of backup plans already; that's who he should be offering right now - the guys who were next up in line at his previous job, or were known to be wavering, etc etc

Are you saying that he should be going for "outside" recruits? 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

2 hours ago, badfish said:

And how exactly was Brent Brennan supposed to "get on them early" for SJSU when he hasn't even been on the job for month? For all we know, Brennan may have already been in contact with these players while he was still with Oregon State. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with offering good players, even if landing them is a longshot. Strange things often happen in the last few weeks of recruiting, and there is often a lot of last minute shuffling and changes in plans. If your school has an offer out, and has built a relationship with a player, there's always a chance they could fall your way, or maybe even transfer to your program down the road if things don't work out at their first choice school. One thing is certain, if you don't make contact, and don't pitch an offer, you have no chance whatsoever of landing that player. I'd rather my coach take that approach than have a defeatist attitude.

Champ Logo.jpg

48 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

And how exactly was Brent Brennan supposed to "get on them early" for SJSU when he hasn't even been on the job for month? For all we know, Brennan may have already been in contact with these players while he was still with Oregon State. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with offering good players, even if landing them is a longshot. Strange things often happen in the last few weeks of recruiting, and there is often a lot of last minute shuffling and changes in plans. If your school has an offer out, and has built a relationship with a player, there's always a chance they could fall your way, or maybe even transfer to your program down the road if things don't work out at their first choice school. One thing is certain, if you don't make contact, and don't pitch an offer, you have no chance whatsoever of landing that player. I'd rather my coach take that approach than have a defeatist attitude.

More than anything it demonstrates that Brennan, despite having spent some time at SJSU, has no clue what he's gotten himself into. He's getting outrecruited by FCS for gods sakes. 

8 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

More than anything it demonstrates that Brennan, despite having spent some time at SJSU, has no clue what he's gotten himself into. He's getting outrecruited by FCS for gods sakes. 

You certainly would know a thing or two about bad recruiting. Now wouldn't you Mr. 1 and 11?

Champ Logo.jpg

20 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

You certainly would know a thing or two about bad recruiting. Now wouldn't you Mr. 1 and 11?

You think there's an (outside) shot of landing P12 players when you're losing players to FCS? Serious question. 

15 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

You think there's an (outside) shot of landing P12 players when you're losing players to FCS? Serious question. 

What I'm saying is a school has no chance if they don't offer. As for SJSU "losing players to FCS", I'm wondering where you're getting the impression we've lost more than one to an FCS school? SJSU lost one player to Montana after Caragher was fired, and one player that opened his recruiting up but has not committed elsewhere, who happens to have offers from P5 schools. Why do you find the need to exaggerate, and how many players de-committed from CSUF after Tedford was hired?

Champ Logo.jpg

29 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

I would assume that Sharta should be able to recruit really good (outside) WRs with their new coach. 

15 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

ps. deruyter's recruiting misses are egregious but equally bad was attrition. especially the fact that he and his staff ran off nearly every remotely highly touted recruit they got. if Vercher/Laz/Ulutu/Scoby/Greenlee/Blandin/that 4-star WR whose name i can't remember/etc are on the team and producing instead of gone after a year there's a decent chance he's still here

SJSU offered Christian HS (El Cajon, CA)WR Benjamin Goodwin. Tweets aren't copying for some reason and he doesn't have a rivals page so no link. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

He probably had more talent around him at Chaminade than he would have had at Fresno State this past season.

And you managed to squeak past that team by 3 points. Damn. Rough assessment of your team. No worries...22 year old outside WR and outside safeties coaches to the rescue. 

6 minutes ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

And you managed to squeak past that team by 3 points. Damn. Rough assessment of your team. No worries...22 year old outside WR and outside safeties coaches to the rescue. 

That's why we fired our coach. Far too embarrassing to win by such a close margin against such is crappy team. But, we ended with a win, and you ended on (eh hem, eh hem) a 10 game losing streak.

Champ Logo.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mike Morgan said:

That's why we fired our coach. Far too embarrassing to win by such a close margin against such is crappy team. But, we ended with a win, and you ended on (eh hem, eh hem) a 10 game losing streak.

And you guys splurged. Best $18.50/hr coach out there.