Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Boise State recruiting 2017

2 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Huff's OL's have been pushed back by short, underweight DL's since forever.   I'll take the attitude of Seawards over anything I've seen on our OL for a few seasons.

We will know if is the type of player we were recruiting or the coaching they are getting in the next two years.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

We will know if is the type of player we were recruiting or the coaching they are getting in the next two years.

Partially at least.  I think if you recruit a road grader, you don't have to teach that mindset; like we got with Paradis.  Something Huff is clearly incapable of teaching.   For his nice guy style of coaching, he has to have tough guys to start with IMO.   Big, tall nice kids haven't panned out so well as a unit.   Even with some going to the NFL. 

15 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Partially at least.  I think if you recruit a road grader, you don't have to teach that mindset; like we got with Paradis.  Something Huff is clearly incapable of teaching.   For his nice guy style of coaching, he has to have tough guys to start with IMO.   Big, tall nice kids haven't panned out so well as a unit.   Even with some going to the NFL. 

Yup.. We've probably put more OL in the NFL than any MWC school but haven't had a great unit in years.

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yea.  Our 3 other guys are 6'5 plus though.  Seawards is 6'3-6'4 depending on where you look (which means 6'3).  However I am glad we are taking a page out of SDSU's book and going after big mean nasty's instead of light quick projects we hope to build up.  Seems like those bigger guys have a different attitude then the athletic projects of the Pete era. I mean our O-lines have not sucked, but unlike SDSU when we need 1 or 2 yards we fail to get push more often than not.  Hopefully the different type of player we are recruiting the last few years helps.

That was the problem before the Hoke/Rocky era. We had soft ass OL, but always had skull players. Amazing what nasty OL who love to run the ball can do. He definitely fits that category. Hopefully for you he can pass block worth a damn, which we couldn't last year.

The problem with big, physical OL is that they are often deficient in pass pro.  That's the benefit you guys had from going to a lighter, more athletic OL.  Statistically your OL was one of the best in the country (18th) in pass pro giving up a sack on just 4.1% of pass attempts.  SDSU's was one of the worst (119th) at 9.7%.

It really depends on your offensive system.  

29 minutes ago, Fowl said:

The problem with big, physical OL is that they are often deficient in pass pro.  That's the benefit you guys had from going to a lighter, more athletic OL.  Statistically your OL was one of the best in the country (18th) in pass pro giving up a sack on just 4.1% of pass attempts.  SDSU's was one of the worst (119th) at 9.7%.

It really depends on your offensive system.  

That stat is somewhat misleading.  We have really good pass protecting TE's that were in to block on most passing downs.  Usually had 6-7 sometimes as many 9 blockers and banked that Sperbeck or Wilson could get separation.  When I think of elite O-lines I think of our 2006 o-line. Filled with maulers that would blow back opponents D-line yet great in pass protection.  Our o-line manhandled Oklahoma's D-line in the Fiesta bowl that year.  They played mean,  By the 4h quarter D-lines just did not want to line up anymore.  They physically punished guys.  Now in the 4th quarter D-lines are licking their lips against us.

I do agree that is a bit misleading particularly since your offense has your QB get rid of the ball very quickly and the QB is mostly in the gun.  But that doesn't account for the difference against other teams.  Plus I watched all but two of your games this year and I don't recall seeing 8 man protections at all.  You guys spread the ball around to your RBs and TEs a lot.

2 hours ago, Fowl said:

I do agree that is a bit misleading particularly since your offense has your QB get rid of the ball very quickly and the QB is mostly in the gun.  But that doesn't account for the difference against other teams.  Plus I watched all but two of your games this year and I don't recall seeing 8 man protections at all.  You guys spread the ball around to your RBs and TEs a lot.

All TE's combined for 29 receptions despite our frequent use of 2 and 3 TE sets.  McNichols got some balls but his targets significantly decreased as the year went on.

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

One week from tomorrow is signing day...can't come soon enough.

I see we have offered *** WR Damon Cole...has offers from half the MW but that's it. Must be out of SDSU's league since they haven't offered.:ph34r:

Think we are getting desperate at WR. Thomas is a stud with big offers but we need a tall guy.

46 minutes ago, TheDoggFather said:

Kid has grade and attitude issues. DeRuyter staff offered him, but Tedford's crew eliminated him for those reasons. Has some talent...but has baggage.

Do you have any links btw, I believe you I just want to read about it if possible.

UNM's offered him, but Bob Davie's known for taking decent, but wayward children and applying a motivational boot.

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

One week from tomorrow is signing day...can't come soon enough.

I see we have offered *** WR Damon Cole...has offers from half the MW but that's it. Must be out of SDSU's league since they haven't offered.:ph34r:

we offer A LOT of WRs, but I'm happy with who we got now