Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Briles gone?

If I'm Boise, SDSU or CSU. I'm literally filling up a dump truck with cash right now to bring him to town. You want to move to the P5? This is your guy 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

1 minute ago, masterfrog said:

That is what they said about Tressel, but it hasn't happened yet.  Briles is 60 years old and this is a little above the age that most schools want to hire.

Didn't Tressel land a job in the NFL the very next year? And then became a University Prez only like 3 years after that? I don't think Briles will end up in Admin, so I expect him to coach, probably as a coordinator in the not too distant future. 

39 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Not at Baylor.  Grant Teaff coached there for twenty years and only had a couple of really good teams.  But, he was one of the most religious men in college football.  He eventually became executive director of the American Football Coaches Association.  I think his wife is still on the Baylor Board of Regents.  Winning the right way is important to Baylor.  I would like to take shots at them since they are a TCU rival, but when things come to light there, they do eliminate everybody involved.  It happened in basketball and it will happen in football.

I'll take shots.  The first rape occurred in 2009, which was 7 years ago.  It became generally known in 2011.  More allegations occurred thereafter.  A conviction occurred.  And nothing was done to protect the women whatsoever.  No player accused ever lost any playing time; let alone get a temporary suspension.  It is now 2016.  There have been 9 alleged incidents.  Some women lost their scholarships and were forced to leave the school.  Others had to change their classes because they shared them with the protected players.  It was a completely unaccountable system under Briles, with a thug mentality.  He richly deserved being fired.  As did Mccaw.  They did not report these incidents to Starr until last fall.  He's rather innocent other than not asking questions and directing policies to take into account sexual assault on campus by football players.  Baylor is finally doing the right thing and deserves kudos for it, not encomiums to Art Briles.

1 minute ago, WyomingCoog said:

If I'm Boise, SDSU or CSU. I'm literally filling up a dump truck with cash right now to bring him to town. You want to move to the P5? This is your guy 

Damaged goods. Even Boysee couldn't stand the withering criticism of hiring Briles with his Baylor past.

But UNLV or CSEwe would be able to get away with a Briles hire.

7 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

Damaged goods. Even Boysee couldn't stand the withering criticism of hiring Briles with his Baylor past.

We've heard that all before. Bruce Pearl will never coach again....Petrino is done....Vick will never play QB in NFL again, etc. morals go out the window with talent like this. 

CSU AD Jack Graham - “If you get outside our borders, no one knows who we are. I was in Phoenix (last week) for the Mountain West meetings and there was a reception with all of the athletic directors. The bartender said to me, ‘Colorado State, where are you guys, Boulder?’ I’ve gotten that all my career. No one knows us outside our own boundaries."

14 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

6 minutes ago, WyomingCoog said:

We've heard that all before. Bruce Pearl will never coach again....Petrino is done....Vick will never play QB in NFL again, etc. morals go out the window with talent like this. 

In certain instances, including reports of a sexual assault by multiple football players, athletics and football personnel affirmatively chose not to report sexual violence and dating violence to an appropriate administrator outside of athletics. In those instances, football coaches or staff met directly with a complainant and/or a parent of a complainant and did not report the misconduct... 

In addition, some football coaches and staff took improper steps in response to disclosures of sexual assault or dating violence that precluded the University from fulfilling its legal obligations. Football staff conducted their own untrained internal inquiries, outside of policy, which improperly discredited complainants and denied them the right to a fair, impartial and informed investigation, interim measures or processes promised under University policy...

Football coaches and staff took affirmative steps to maintain internal control over discipline of players and to actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes. In some cases, football coaches and staff had inappropriate involvement in disciplinary and criminal matters or engaged in improper conduct that reinforced an overall perception that football was above the rules, and that there was no culture of accountability for misconduct.

25 minutes ago, Jared said:

I'll take shots.  The first rape occurred in 2009, which was 7 years ago.  It became generally known in 2011.  More allegations occurred thereafter.  A conviction occurred.  And nothing was done to protect the women whatsoever.  No player accused ever lost any playing time; let alone get a temporary suspension.  It is now 2016.  There have been 9 alleged incidents.  Some women lost their scholarships and were forced to leave the school.  Others had to change their classes because they shared them with the protected players.  It was a completely unaccountable system under Briles, with a thug mentality.  He richly deserved being fired.  As did Mccaw.  They did not report these incidents to Starr until last fall.  He's rather innocent other than not asking questions and directing policies to take into account sexual assault on campus by football players.  Baylor is finally doing the right thing and deserves kudos for it, not encomiums to Art Briles.

Good post.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, roswellcoug said:

Isn't Briles under 75 years old? He'd never fit in at Yewtah!

true,

but he does qualify under the Utah coaching exemption - "have you coached/played at a creepy religious Bible College?"  That's how Kyle, Guy and SItake became hireable

:)

1 hour ago, AztecSU said:

Briles will end up somewhere...only a matter of time. 

Based on what's in the Pepper Hamilton report....he done.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

There are so many complicated issues when these situations arise that it must be tough to be in a position of authority. You have the rights of the players and the rights of the alleged victims to consider. I imagine the coaches and administrators in the athletic department want to give their players the benefit of the doubt, and that sometimes colors their judgment; sometimes it impairs it. When you are mired in the situation and the moment, it's sometimes difficult to find the clear answer. However, the law and administrative rules proscribe, sometimes very clearly, this alleged behavior. In addition, there are clear protocols to follow when allegations arise. They didn't follow them, and this is the result.

2 hours ago, masterfrog said:

I do think that he is probably that good at coaching football.  When he was a high school coach, many college coaches came to watch his practices to see what they could pick up to bring back to their schools.  These were not small colleges either, major universities from many parts of the country.

I don't disagree, it's just that there always seems to be some associated illegal activity at times when teams see a meteoric rise.  Cowherd would always say on his show that he could tell when a team was going to start having a lot of legal troubles, and that's when they'd sucked for a while and became good suddenly.  Ole Miss comes to mind as well.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

46 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

he's too talented some NFL team will grab him

NFL?  Seriously?

If the NFL were interested in Briles and his version of the Air Raid, he'd have left before all this happened.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.