Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

Martin bros to Nevada, huge get (MBB)

Leon Rice is getting his ass kicked in recruiting and especially transfers.  It was past time for him to take another gig and I was hoping this off season was the one.  Sadly our slide will continue;  he had one good recruiting class (Marks, Drmic, etc) and had been Big West level since other than Paris Austin, who he screwed over last season.

1 minute ago, roughrider said:

Leon Rice is getting his ass kicked in recruiting and especially transfers.  It was past time for him to take another gig and I was hoping this off season was the one.  Sadly our slide will continue;  he had one good recruiting class (Marks, Drmic, etc) and had been Big West level since other than Paris Austin, who he screwed over last season.

This year will be the true test of how good of a coach he is or is not. Do you actually think BSU would be able to hire someone better for basketball? I seriously have my doubts they could. BSU doesn't have the support for basketball to get a high profile coach. They'd just try and get another up and coming coach. It would be a total crap shoot.

3 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

This year will be the true test of how good of a coach he is or is not. Do you actually think BSU would be able to hire someone better for basketball? I seriously have my doubts they could. BSU doesn't have the support for basketball to get a high profile coach. They'd just try and get another up and coming coach. It would be a total crap shoot.

I hear that a lot from Bronco fans and many were the same that said it when Graham was let go.   Rice had one good recruiting class (Marks, Drmic, etc) and pretty much Big West level since.  His in game adjustments stink;  worst in bounds plays I've ever seen and the worst defense I've seen  in a long while.   And yet we have fans claiming we can't do better?   Then we aren't worthy of even being in the MWC, IMO.

Yes, we could do better IMO.  But not with an incompetent lacky as our AD and a president who's all football.  So we are stuck in neutral with hoops.  Again.

I guess we know why Musselman hired Dave Rice.  However I wonder what Rice tells transfers and recruits in order to land them. Come here for a year and we'll get you into the NBA, ready or not? lol

4 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I hear that a lot from Bronco fans and many were the same that said it when Graham was let go.   Rice had one good recruiting class (Marks, Drmic, etc) and pretty much Big West level since.  His in game adjustments stink;  worst in bounds plays I've ever seen and the worst defense I've seen  in a long while.   And yet we have fans claiming we can't do better?   Then we aren't worthy of even being in the MWC, IMO.

Yes, we could do better IMO.  But not with an incompetent lacky as our AD and a president who's all football.  So we are stuck in neutral with hoops.  Again.

I just don't think there is the will or the money to put basketball as a priority. I just remember how awful BSU was at basketball before Rice became coach so I don't think it would be prudent to kick him to the curb when he's had more success at BSU than just about any coach.

8 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I wanted Graham gone.  Hutch while he hasn't panned out was a top 100 recruit 4 star and is decent. Paris as you said is good.   Hobbs had offers from Oklahoma, Creighton, Baylor, Texas AM, Houston, Wake Forest.

17 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

I wanted Graham gone.  Hutch while he hasn't panned out was a top 100 recruit 4 star and is decent. Paris as you said is good.   Hobbs had offers from Oklahoma, Creighton, Baylor, Texas AM, Houston, Wake Forest.

I'm with you but Hutch has pretty much been a disappointment up to now and Hobbs has to prove everything at this point.  Nevada returns the best freshman in the league and a ton of transfers now. Rice has basically a roster of role players with zero stars unless Austin delivers when he finally gets playing time.  Rice is a bust IMO. But we'll hang on for 3-4 more years because of our complacency with hoops.

9 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I'm with you but Hutch has pretty much been a disappointment up to now and Hobbs has to prove everything at this point.  Nevada returns the best freshman in the league and a ton of transfers now. Rice has basically a roster of role players with zero stars unless Austin delivers when he finally gets playing time.  Rice is a bust IMO. But we'll hang on for 3-4 more years because of our complacency with hoops.

Nevada will likely stomp us this year.  It would be nice to be recruiting at their level, but it still hard to fire a guy who won MW coach of the year, lead us to our first MW title, has 102-62 record, has the best record in school history through 5 years, and won 20 games in 4 of his first 5 years.

16 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I agree with you 100%.  Rice has a ceiling and he hit it.  We can try and do better or accept mediocrity.  Look at the way Nevada strutted Muss's contract.  We have FAR more money.  We could do something similar with ease.

47 minutes ago, aztech said:

I guess we know why Musselman hired Dave Rice.  However I wonder what Rice tells transfers and recruits in order to land them. Come here for a year and we'll get you into the NBA, ready or not? lol

Is there an award for most stupid Dave Rice post?

43 minutes ago, jewelz4562000 said:

Nevada will likely stomp us this year.  It would be nice to be recruiting at their level, but it still hard to fire a guy who won MW coach of the year, lead us to our first MW title, has 102-62 record, has the best record in school history through 5 years, and won 20 games in 4 of his first 5 years.

I don't really want to fire him, even if he got us there with one recruiting class and Dave Wojch-whatever it is.  Once those dried up, so did he IMO.  I was just pining for him getting hired away this off season.  Hopes of summer....

3 minutes ago, roughrider said:

I don't really want to fire him, even if he got us there with one recruiting class and Dave Wojch-whatever it is.  Once those dried up, so did he IMO.  I was just pining for him getting hired away this off season.  Hopes of summer....

Yep that is the Leon Rice conundrum to good to fire, not good enough to get hired away.

1 hour ago, roughrider said:

Your recruiting slide seems to coincide with the loss of Woj to SJSU, no?

As for UNR, great pick ups. Tough games ahead for Mediocre Menzies and the boys.