Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Baylor fires university president

Is Art Briles next or is winning the most important thing?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Guest RoscoesDad

I mentioned it in other thread, but Baylor is a disgrace of an athletic dept.  The bball murder, the Dave Bliss coverup, the Boise transfer mess, the Art Briles coverup, the Shawn Oakman mess.   

I really can't believe the B12 hasn't kicked them out yet.  They deserve to play in the Sun Belt or the WAC for a few years.

26 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Evidently winning is the most important thing. Ask Penn State, I'm sure they can give you an answer regarding that.

28 minutes ago, mugtang said:

The latter.

BTW...the person expected to be the interim President is the current CFO and Senior VP of Operations.  Which also has oversight of....the Baylor campus police.  Perfect.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

3 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

This is what happens when you live in a State where football is the most important thing in life.

Right. I think another HS football team was approved to have a multi-million dollar stadium built. Ridiculous!  Absurd!

These are the two articles I have found on Starr/Briles. If any one has found others please note them as I would like to read them. I for one think Baylor should receive the death penalty.  

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/5/24/11759268/kenneth-starr-baylor-scandal

"The Baylor board of regents is expected to remove six-year school president and chancellor Ken Starr by the end of the month," according to Chip Brown, a reporter at Scout's Texas Longhorns site.

Starr, football coach Art Briles and athletic director Ian McCaw have faced ongoing criticism for the school's sexual assault scandal, with the latter two named in a former student's lawsuit and credible voices pondering the possible end of Briles' tenure. Roughly a dozen former BU football players have been accused of violence against women over the last eight years, though this problem goes beyond football and even beyond Baylor itself.

It also raises questions of whether evidence connects Briles to potential cover-ups, crucial warnings about certain players (he's been accused of failing to respond to five or six different accusations against one player), or failings in any specific episodes. Many argue Briles should lose his job regardless, of course. Starr reportedly is.

You may remember Starr as the Special Prosecutor in the Bill Clinton sex scandal. The irony of Starr's university having a sexual assault investigation scandal has been noted.

http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story/1672296-sources-bu-regents-preparing-to-oust-starr

Chip Brown

3:59 AM

The Baylor board of regents on Tuesday fired six-year school president and chancellor Ken Starr, sources tell HornsDigest.com.

The three dozen members of the Baylor regents board are blaming Starr - not football coach Art Briles - for failed leadership during the ongoing scandal over how the school handled reports of rape and assault made against five BU football players - two of whom (Tevin Elliott and Sam Ukwuachu) were convicted of raping Baylor co-eds, sources close to the situation told HornsDigest.com.

Reagan Ramsower, Baylor's senior vice president of operations and chief financial officer, whose oversight includes Baylor's campus law enforcement, is a leading candidate to succeed Starr on an interim basis, the sources told HD.

Ramsower would serve as the school's interim president until a national search could be conducted, sources said.

One source said it was possible Starr, an attorney and former judge, could be reassigned to a new role in the Baylor law school without having his pay reduced. But it was unclear if Starr would indeed receive a new post on the Waco campus after a final vote of the regents or if he'd simply be terminated and paid a settlement, sources said.

The only thing that is clear, according to sources, is that Starr - not Briles - is going to be the fall guy for the school's inaction after at least six Baylor female students reported they were raped or assaulted by BU football players from 2009 through April 3, 2016.

Tevin Elliott ended up accused by five women of one assault and four rapes, facing formal charges on two of them, including one against a former member of Baylor's equestrian team. Two of the students who accused him did not attend Baylor.

Elliott is serving a 20-year prison sentence after being convicted in January 2014. In August 2015, Baylor DE Sam Ukwuachu, who transferred from Boise State and never played for BU, was convicted of raping a female Baylor soccer player.

A source close to Starr said he might not go quietly.

9 minutes ago, GoldenEagleAztec said:

Right. I think another HS football team was approved to have a multi-million dollar stadium built. Ridiculous!  Absurd!

I always think of Varsity Blues when this type of thing does down in Texas. That movie might have been fiction, but there was a lot of truths in it.

This is Chip Brown - who's credibility isn't all that good - that everyone is basing their stories on.  I'd be wary of treating this as Gospel as yet.  In any event, it is kind of karmaesque to see Ken Starr fall for this although I tend to think that the actual responsibility for the massive cover-ups are really below him on the reporting chain (like with McCaw or Briles).  It affects the MWC, obviously, because Starr is/was on the expansion committee.  Who knows what a replacement will think/do?

53 minutes ago, BroncoOrange said:

I always think of Varsity Blues when this type of thing does down in Texas. That movie might have been fiction, but there was a lot of truths in it.

What this reminds me of is the virulent hypocrisy I saw in the Baptist Church as I was raised in it. So Baylor being a steaming pile of it is par for the course.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, BroncoOrange said:

Evidently winning is the most important thing. Ask Penn State, I'm sure they can give you an answer regarding that.

1 hour ago, BroncoOrange said:

This is what happens when you live in a State where football is the most important thing in life.

You are on it today...you do bsu irony very well.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

5 hours ago, GoldenEagleAztec said:

I've read an instance of parents who actually held their son back a year so he would have a better chance for a scholie.  How sick is that? 

1 minute ago, MAD MACGYVER said:

I really cannot see how Briles gets out of this with a job.

They'll just fire the AD instead. I'm sure they'll find a fall guy to take the blame. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I have my doubts.

4 minutes ago, aztech said:

I've read an instance of parents who actually held their son back a year so he would have a better chance for a scholie.  How sick is that? 

It isn't all that unusual.  The rules is Texas say that a player has five years to play once they enter eighth grade, so traditionally the student is held back for a second year of seventh grade.  Since schools have football teams in junior high, this gives players an extra year of better coaching than they would receive at the youth level.  It is tough to know how much a player will develop over the following five years, but what parent wouldn't want to give their child the best possible chance at a full scholarship?