Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BleedRed702

Wichita State wants to join MWC

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

i agree with most of this, as i mentioned in my above post, we ALL need to get our act together and gain back some badly needed credibility, but i'm afraid that ship has sailed to a certain extent, we picked a very bad time to be down, the gap is widening (not quite huge and insurmountable yet, but getting there, lol). WS basketball would be a shot in the arm. but if by chance we HAVE improved the perception of the MW by the time WS would get here, then that is a definite bonus, and would make for a very strong conference.

if we only think in the here and now, we will not be progressive enough for the future. just my opinion.

meh ... I think the issue is that the collective timing of issues at individual schools could not be worse & as a conference we did not have the depth to overcome it.

Moving forward I will agree that no matter the action -- resolution was not going to be quick. I favor a leaner, meaner conference.

I don't see the advantage to adding WS now or 4 years from now if as a conference we were back to having 3-5 teams in the polls (ranked and receiving votes). We need to prove to our current media partners and/or prospective partners that we not only deserve to maintain our present value/revenue -- but rate an increase.

More money, more credits, greater bowl revenue and no additional teams to distribute to is where we need to be. 

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

14 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

There were a couple of take aways from this for me:

#1--Thompson is an idiot because you don't brush off a school like Wichita State like that when they could valuable down the line.

#2--Why wouldn't Wichita State bring back football to the Missouri Valley first so they can gradually build their program back.  At least $70 million is a lot of money to restart it and I doubt any FBS conferences want to bring in a school starting from scratch.  

#3--I'm surprised Wichita state is exploring bringing football back when many schools will soon have to re-evaluate their football team's situation relative to FBS in my opinion.

#4--If they do bring football back, why doesn't Wichita partner with the MW so that they can build up their program in the Missouri Valley and then transition to the MW around 2019 or 2020 when the new contract could be worked?  It will take them a year or two to even get started anyway.

#5--Under no circumstances should the MW add any schools to this current contract or even try to renegotiate it.  Let's get out of this shit deal and start fresh when it expires.  The last thing I want if for CBS Sprorts/ESPN to offer a little bit more money and extend this thing 5 more years.   

Fairly confident that any restart of the WS football program will come with a sizeable gift from the Koch Brothers.  I'm sure WS has no designs on becoming a P5 football program.  Becoming a self funded G5 program is not so far fetched even in this day and age.

12 minutes ago, HighNTight_SD said:

meh ... I think the issue is that the collective timing of issues at individual schools could not be worse & as a conference we did not have the depth to overcome it.

Moving forward I will agree that no matter the action -- resolution was not going to be quick. I favor a leaner, meaner conference.

I don't see the advantage to adding WS now or 4 years from now if as a conference we were back to having 3-5 teams in the polls (ranked and receiving votes). We need to prove to our current media partners and/or prospective partners that we not only deserve to maintain our present value/revenue -- but rate an increase.

More money, more credits, greater bowl revenue and no additional teams to distribute to is where we need to be. 

as have I, with all other schools ever mentioned. i just think the merits of WS basketball with adding football deserves a solid look, and not a brush off by hair, or anybody else.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

as have I, with all other schools ever mentioned. i just think the merits of WS basketball with adding football deserves a solid look, and not a brush off by hair, or anybody else.

I will give you that the method by which the overture was rejected was too much.

I am not inclined to carry a fledgling football program in this conference ... let them get it up and running before we entertain that idea. In the meantime they can shop their basketball wherever they want to -- we have enough on our plate getting our own house in order. We can revisit their application in a couple of years.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jiddump said:

the MW needs another basketball school like the politics board needs another trump thread.

#FootballIsAllThatMatters

#DollarsAndSense

Haven't you realized by now there are NO football teams that will increase our TV revenue? 

The only chance we have left is to improve our basketball product. 

Gonzaga and Wichita St in a combo can have that effect in our next TV contract negotiations. WSU by themselves. Nope. 

roflbot.jpg

8 minutes ago, Loboblast said:

Haven't you realized by now there are NO football teams that will increase our TV revenue? 

The only chance we have left is to improve our basketball product. 

Gonzaga and Wichita St in a combo can have that effect in our next TV contract negotiations. WSU by themselves. Nope. 

I realize there is no point in looking for the easy way out, like you guys and UNLV did. And looks where it's gotten you both. Basketball is not a resource, it is a drain on resources.

12667677.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jiddump said:

I realize there is no point in looking for the easy way out, like you guys and UNLV did. And looks where it's gotten you both. Basketball is not a resource, it is a drain on resources.

Men's basketball is not a resource drain, it typically generates revenue. 

3 hours ago, Loboblast said:

In all seriousness. Times have changed. No more BCS. No more chasing autobid status. No more teams that will strengthen football. Might as well look into getting our basketball product better. Wichita St would do just that. 

Add Wichita St and Gonzaga. 

Only if Gonzaga changes its name to Spokane State first.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

8 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Only if Gonzaga changes its name to Spokane State first.

We want to generate more money. Not further tarnish the image of the Land Grant and Flagship schools of this conference. 

roflbot.jpg

19 minutes ago, Loboblast said:

We want to generate more money. Not further tarnish the image of the Land Grant and Flagship schools of this conference. 

It's too bad for UNM that image tarnishing isn't a Title IX sport. You're the flagship pole bearer of tarnished images, the poster boy of anti-polish.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

3 hours ago, just_chris said:

They haven't been good in 50 years man, they've been decent at times but it's not like they're Michigan State or some juggernaut. They suck in their shitty conference and they have a good coach now. 

when you're in New Mexico they're good.

NO to UTEP!

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Don't they have a good baseball program? If the Koch Bros would be supportive, that would be a good thing.

3 hours ago, Loboblast said:

I have stated before the only school that would move the needle for renegotiation is Gonzaga. Add them and Wichita St. I'm sure we would get a mild boost in TV appearances/monies. Plus, most important of all, more NCAA credits. 

wouldn't the NCAA credits stay with the conference they leave?

27 minutes ago, Loboblast said:

A few of your "flagship" and land grant schools have done a good job of tarnishing the image of this conference on their own. Going back what does Dave Bliss and Mike Locksley remind you of?

A "flagship" means something in some states. In others, it only means something to the people living there. How many schools in New Mexico? Sort of like tallest midget?

I don't think it's a bad idea.  As far as money, Wichita is pretty much the center of American aerospace so there's a lot of money there for building a fb program.  It's the largest city in Kansas with a metro of about 605,000, which puts it as one of the largest cities in the MWC--and the only game in town.  And there's no argument that they'd immediately be the best basketball program in the conference based on the past 5 years.  I know SDSU/UNLV fans are going to line up to flame on that one, but lemme know when you go to the Final Four or go 35-1 before you posit your reasons to the contrary.  They also play a really good OOC which helps RPI.  For our commissioner to wave them off like that shows you how truly bad our conference leadership is.

1 hour ago, SDDean said:

wouldn't the NCAA credits stay with the conference they leave?

Yes. 

Gonzaga and Wichita St would be instant contenders in this league. We would be at minimum a 4 bid league most years. 14 teams would be rough though. 14 teams would be rough though. 

roflbot.jpg