Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

TKM out at UNLV?

1 hour ago, RoscoesDad said:

It is hilarious to watch your dumb ass flail around like you are in this post.  What i do know is that yes Howland was a done deal with everything in place except for the ink.  And what I also know is that you have no goddamn clue what you are talking about insofar as any type of real info and never have.  You are just another neckbeard rice fanboy educated on rebel net. 

61247413.jpg

11 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Howland wouldn't be our coach, that's conjecture drummed up by a few. He had a prior opportunity a long time ago to be unlv's coach and went for the money at Pitt. Like I said, it's sad to watch fans actually believe that UNLV was sitting on millions upon millions for buyouts and signing guys like Howland and Pitino. At what point, given unlv's history, do people wake up and realize 3-4 million dollar coaching changes aren't going to happen at UNLV? 

Doesn't matter what Kruger got, we weren't buying out football coaches at the time. At the time of the USF saga, Matt Youman reported "it is very likely Rice goes to USF, UNLV doesn't have money to match." Instead UNLV offered small raises for assistants and chartered flights. Rice stays because it's his school. 

UNLV was already paying off Hauck to a tune of 400k at that time and ended up hiring a high school football coach. Sanchez is making the same amount as Hauck's first contract and less than Hauck's second contract. I can go on and on about the money towards coaches and the pipe dreams conjured up by the same people pining for Howland. 

You're connecting pitino and howland together like they are in the same class...lmao. 3-4 million..lmao.

Howland was a fact and very doable. He was willing to even make it work because he wanted to stay out west.

You have zero facts. Just assumptions. I know for 100% fact that Howland was in play. The known booster is still Givin shit by morons like yourself.

Even reheard the story I've been told from the horses mouth about a childhood friend of mine being scolded by Dave Rices wife for being a Reno grad and being an immediately sibling of this top named booster. She's laughing now. All that scolding and Mindy Rice is now wearing Reno color....lmao. 

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

2 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

You're connecting pitino and howland together like they are in the same class...lmao. 3-4 million..lmao.

Howland was a fact and very doable. He was willing to even make it work because he wanted to stay out west.

You have zero facts. Just assumptions. I know for 100% fact that Howland was in play. The known booster is still Givin shit by morons like yourself.

Even reheard the story I've been told from the horses mouth about a childhood friend of mine being scolded by Dave Rices wife for being a Reno grad and being an immediately sibling of this top named booster. She's laughing now. All that scolding and Mindy Rice is now wearing Reno color....lmao. 

I wake up every morning and thank Tiny Baby Jesus that Ben Howland has never coached UNLV.

2 minutes ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

I wake up every morning and thank Tiny Baby Jesus that Ben Howland has never coached UNLV.

Over Howland? A guy who can recruit and coach?

I'm the same way, but towards a coach who brought the program down...Rice.

13 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

Howland wouldn't be our coach, that's conjecture drummed up by a few. He had a prior opportunity a long time ago to be unlv's coach and went for the money at Pitt. Like I said, it's sad to watch fans actually believe that UNLV was sitting on millions upon millions for buyouts and signing guys like Howland and Pitino. At what point, given unlv's history, do people wake up and realize 3-4 million dollar coaching changes aren't going to happen at UNLV? 

Doesn't matter what Kruger got, we weren't buying out football coaches at the time. At the time of the USF saga, Matt Youman reported "it is very likely Rice goes to USF, UNLV doesn't have money to match." Instead UNLV offered small raises for assistants and chartered flights. Rice stays because it's his school

UNLV was already paying off Hauck to a tune of 400k at that time and ended up hiring a high school football coach. Sanchez is making the same amount as Hauck's first contract and less than Hauck's second contract. I can go on and on about the money towards coaches and the pipe dreams conjured up by the same people pining for Howland. 

howland was here for $1.5...and it was a done deal.

IF pitino got canned at louisville, wynn (his good friend) was paying him. pitino is the only one wynn was paying that kind of money for.

rice stayed because he wasn't going anywhere in the first place, he used them for negotiation.  but unlv would NOT pay HIM a matching offer.

Kuntzer cost us our entire recruiting class.  Because of her public shaming of Dave Rice, our commitments only signed scholarship papers instead of letters of intent.  We would have had leverage if they signed letters of intent.

11 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Over Howland? A guy who can recruit and coach?

I'm the same way, but towards a coach who brought the program down...Rice.

How quickly we forget what a mess he made of UCLA before his departure.  I don't want to sell UNLV out to an arrogant and narcissistic coach for the sake of the perception that they will win some games.  That's why I was giddy that Beard moved on.  UNLV Basketball has always been at its best when not helmed by megalomaniacs.

4 minutes ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

UNLV Basketball has always been at its best when not helmed by megalomaniacs.

Well... Rice was not a megalomaniac, but UNLV basketball certainly wasn't at its best under him. Just sayin'...

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

6 minutes ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

How quickly we forget what a mess he made of UCLA before his departure.  I don't want to sell UNLV out to an arrogant and narcissistic coach for the sake of the perception that they will win some games.  That's why I was giddy that Beard moved on.  UNLV Basketball has always been at its best when not helmed by megalomaniacs.

Pretty sure UNLV basketball has been at it's best when they have actually had a good coach, not Marvin menzies

I'm still just so pissed off by all of this. It's not Marvin's fault and I appreciate him for taking the reigns on this dying horse, but man. 

We absolutely had to have a good hire here. We had to throw serious money and hire a competent, proven coach. This is UNLV basketball. It could have, and should have been done.

Instead, TKM, the admin and the boosters went bush league and we lost out. Our stated goal as fans of the Rebels is to win NCAA tournament games and we just hired a head coach who never has.

I'll be burning on this one for awhile. Maybe Marvin will do great (I hope so!) but our imaged has been tarnished for a long time I think.

1 hour ago, VincentVegaBond said:

Well... Rice was not a megalomaniac, but UNLV basketball certainly wasn't at its best under him. Just sayin'...

And I liked that about Rice.  He just couldn't coach. Tark wasn't a megalomaniac, and neither is LK.  

And by the way, Rice was a winning coach.  He just wasn't winning enough.  And the predictable degradation of the team as the season wore on indicated to me that the men weren't learning basketball under Rice.

I am fully aware that I am just a spectator in all this and my opinion doesn't affect UNLV's hires, but I want to see high character as a starting point in a coach, and then the other qualifications from that starting point.  I do not see Howland as a high character coach.  

Menzies has shown he can coach in a lower tier.  let's see what he can do with better recruits (in future seasons, once he has a fair shot at high level recruits).  For one thing, he has surrounded himself with three very good coaches in LaFleur, Brown, and Jeter.

And if he fails, I won't cry for Howland.  I will want to see another high character coach come in.

5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Kuntzer cost us our entire recruiting class.  Because of her public shaming of Dave Rice, our commitments only signed scholarship papers instead of letters of intent.  We would have had leverage if they signed letters of intent.

The decision to for the mid-season was a calculated risk to secure a very good coach as well as retain recruiting class and roster. A perfect storm of coaching openings desimated our chances with targeted coaches.

The roster would have had a better chance to stay intact should Rice have completed the season however there was no gaurantee that it would be any better than today. Zimm and DJ would still be out. Cornish had a foot out the door before CDR firing. That leaves McCaw, Carter and the recruits. McCaw was always going to test the waters, leaving Carter who decided he wanted a chance at the NCAA the UNLV could no longer provide. 

The recruiting class? Well, Fisher is tied to Miller and that boat would have sailed unless Miller stayed. JJ, Vital? Well...new coach...reduced roster? Come on. 

So tell me, TKM fault? Sure, she took a risk, gambled (which I'm sure she was following instructions) and lost, but don't think for a second that things would have been dramatically different just because CDR was retained to the end of the season. 

Don't rewrite history by saying she publicly shamed CDR. Show me any quote that say that. UNLV should have some pride and hold its head coach accountable for under performing. She could have maintained the issue internally but you as well as others are making a much bigger deal out of that whole situation. 

UNLV is not in a position to require a 4/5 star to sign NLI. You'll see other programs don't have opportunity to do it either. Not to mention, a coaching change would still force a decision to release a kid from NLI.

TKM may not be the best AD but you guys are making her out to be the devil and source of all UNLV's problem. In reality, CDR and his staff has most the blame to bear. TKM is just a convenient scape goat for all you CDR fans. 

29 minutes ago, Las Vegas Reb said:

The decision to for the mid-season was a calculated risk to secure a very good coach as well as retain recruiting class and roster. A perfect storm of coaching openings desimated our chances with targeted coaches.

The roster would have had a better chance to stay intact should Rice have completed the season however there was no gaurantee that it would be any better than today. Zimm and DJ would still be out. Cornish had a foot out the door before CDR firing. That leaves McCaw, Carter and the recruits. McCaw was always going to test the waters, leaving Carter who decided he wanted a chance at the NCAA the UNLV could no longer provide. 

The recruiting class? Well, Fisher is tied to Miller and that boat would have sailed unless Miller stayed. JJ, Vital? Well...new coach...reduced roster? Come on. 

So tell me, TKM fault? Sure, she took a risk, gambled (which I'm sure she was following instructions) and lost, but don't think for a second that things would have been dramatically different just because CDR was retained to the end of the season. 

Don't rewrite history by saying she publicly shamed CDR. Show me any quote that say that. UNLV should have some pride and hold its head coach accountable for under performing. She could have maintained the issue internally but you as well as others are making a much bigger deal out of that whole situation. 

UNLV is not in a position to require a 4/5 star to sign NLI. You'll see other programs don't have opportunity to do it either. Not to mention, a coaching change would still force a decision to release a kid from NLI.

TKM may not be the best AD but you guys are making her out to be the devil and source of all UNLV's problem. In reality, CDR and his staff has most the blame to bear. TKM is just a convenient scape goat for all you CDR fans. 

You don't fire somebody midseason unless it's a Bill Bayno situation.

52 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

You don't fire somebody midseason unless it's a Bill Bayno situation.

Why? Because you are fearful the student-athletes would jump ship? Maybe...but CDR had a problem with unhappy players on the team already. 

Hell...why aren't you holding CDR accountable for what my be the highest number of transfers within 5 seasons? Looking back, the number is astonishing. Yes, some were transfers were due to character issues but it doesn't matter.

The fact remains...CDR is responsible. Stacey Augmon is responsible. TKM is responsible. Boosters are responsible. JESSUP is responsible. The players are responsible. Circumstance (job openings) is responsible. The fans are responsible (you want a better pool of coaches, put money where your mouth is). 

TKM made have made some misteps and may not be a good AD but get real and stop blaming her for this mess. 

10 hours ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

The mess he made?

UCLA won't ever be "great" again. They're always in the shadow of Wooden and it's all star alums like Walton and Kareem who will shit on anyone who tries to overshadow their history.

Howland was dealing with 10x the "admin" problems as Dave Rice had and was winning games and going to Final 4's.

To say he left that program in a mess...well... Wash, rinse, repeat.

Same will be for Alford when it's all said and done. A dude who ran this league with Fisher.

Howland would have been a good fit personality wise with proven great coaching. UNLV is a poor mans UCLA chasing it's history, but being hindered from it's history.

On May 8, 2016 at 9:02 PM, BestintheWest said:

Boosters are all talk, they've been talking for YEARS how much money they have and what'd they do with it. At the end of the day, which is what really matters here, nothing got done. Yeah, Howland wanted to stay out west so bad that he took a 2 million dollar job in a swamp ****hole. :rolleyes:

Just now, Rosegreen said:

Boosters are all talk, they've been talking for YEARS how much money they have and what'd they do with it. At the end of the day, which is what really matters here, nothing got done. Yeah, Howland wanted to stay out west so bad that he took a 2 million dollar job in a swamp ****hole. :rolleyes:

He wouldn't have....TKM and the UNLV history "keep it in the family" goons made him take that job when they gave Rice another season to +++++ up our program even more.

Where else out west was he gonna get? That was a decent job? He took a year off and he was getting back into coaching last year. He wasn't gonna wait anymore. Taking 2.1 mill SEC money is an easy decision when your options are very limited.

16 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

howland was here for $1.5...and it was a done deal.

IF pitino got canned at louisville, wynn (his good friend) was paying him. pitino is the only one wynn was paying that kind of money for.

rice stayed because he wasn't going anywhere in the first place, he used them for negotiation.  but unlv would NOT pay HIM a matching offer.

Matt Youman's reported otherwise pretty clearly that UNLV couldn't match, that's not disputable. Secondly, the numbers for Howland have kept changing over the year first it was for 2 million,1.8 million, now it's 1.5 million. Howland is overrated, 14-17 and an 11th place finish in the SEC, same as the prior year. Overrated. 

Pitino was never coming here, that was a total pipe dream.