Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jared

MWC Tennis Championship

Congrats to UNLV on winning the MWC men's tennis championship yesterday, who, with the home court advantage, stormed from the 4th seeded position, to win the conference tourney in a 4-3 thriller and advance to the NCAA'S with the automatic bid, upsetting higher ranked Boise State (the defending champs), Utah State and New Mexico.  What does everyone think of the Rebels' chances in the NCAA's?  They may have to contend with the (likely) #4 ranked Horned Frogs, who finished the regular season 24-3, have been ranked in the Top 5 all year long, are co-champs (with Tech) of the Big 12, are Big 12 tournament champs (combining the two for the first time since 2008 in the MWC), are guaranteed to be hosting a regional and are, hopefully, gonna repeat our Final 4 performance of last year.  The favorites for the whole tournament are likely to be #1 Virginia (defending champs), #2 UCLA, #3 North Carolina (National Indoor champs), #4 TCU and #5 Ohio State.  Seedings will be announced tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. (Mountain time).  I sure wish there was still a mtn. that could have covered the MWC tourney!

It's nice to see that y'all are as interested in tennis as you always were.  Seedings (for men) at 3:30; women at 3:00.

Should I insult your schools to get a response? 

14 minutes ago, Jared said:

It's nice to see that y'all are as interested in tennis as you always were.  Seedings (for men) at 3:30; women at 3:00.

Don't be like soccer fan. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

36 minutes ago, Jared said:

You already did by mentioning tennis. 

Ouch!  UNLV has to open in the regional hosted by USC and against the #10 Trojans.  I'm guessing one and done for the Rebels.  TCU hosts the Ft. Worth regional against Jackson State, then the winner of Rice and LSU, then probably #13 Cal (who hosts Army, Mississippi and Denver), then #5 Ohio State, #1 Virginia and then either #2 UNC or #3 UCLA if we get that far.  Good luck to the RREEEEBBBBBEELLLLLLSSSSSSS!  (But who exactly are they rebelling against and why are they running?)

18 hours ago, Jared said:

Congrats to UNLV on winning the MWC men's tennis tourney yesterday, who, with the home court advantage, stormed from the 4th seeded position, to win the conference tourney in a 4-3 thriller and advance to the NCAA'S with the automatic bid, upsetting higher ranked Boise State (the defending champs), Utah State and New Mexico.  What does everyone think of the Rebels' chances in the NCAA's?  They may have to contend with the (likely) #4 ranked Horned Frogs, who finished the regular season 24-3, have been ranked in the Top 5 all year long, are co-champs (with Tech) of the Big 12, are Big 12 tournament champs (combining the two for the first time since 2008 in the MWC), are guaranteed to be hosting a regional and are, hopefully, gonna repeat our Final 4 performance of last year.  The favorites for the whole tournament are likely to be #1 Virginia (defending champs), #2 UCLA, #3 North Carolina (National Indoor champs), #4 TCU and #5 Ohio State.  Seedings will be announced tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. (Mountain time).  I sure wish there was still a mtn. that could have covered the MWC tourney!

FIFY. Let's not pretend that winning a tournament trophy makes you the actual conference champs. Uh oh, there's a dent in your Country Club titles. How's that for tennis trash talk?

Congrats, that is the first time Boise State has ever lost a MW Tournament match. They've been down the last couple of years so it was bound to happen. 

BTW, you didn't beat Utah State. Fresno State (coached by former Boise State All American Luke Sheilds) beat Utah State (coached by former Boise State #1 player [and brother to Luke] Clancy Sheilds). 

The bigger kudos should go to Clancy and Utah State. When he took over, Utah State was the worst program in the conference and they were the #1 seed this year. 

... and to answer your question, they have zero chance of winning a match. They'll get the highest ranked (and host) team in their quad. They'll get curb stomped. 

8 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

BTW, you didn't beat Utah State.

I'm a TCU grad and have no ties whatsoever to UNLV (except as former conference mates).  I'm just congratulating UNLV on making the NCAA's as a ruse to brag about the Frogs.  (I thought that was obvious, but I haven't been here in awhile, so I guess no one remembers me.) 

22 minutes ago, Jared said:

I'm a TCU grad and have no ties whatsoever to UNLV (except as former conference mates).  I'm just congratulating UNLV on making the NCAA's as a ruse to brag about the Frogs.  (I thought that was obvious, but I haven't been here in awhile, so I guess no one remembers me.) 

I don't pay attention to other posters

The winner of UNLV / USC gets the winner of UC Santa Barbara / Georgia Tech in the second round:drunkards:

Ain't got a clue how UNLV can do in the NCAA Tourney How has Boise and previous MWC champs fared in tennis in the NCAA? And Congrats to the Boys and Girls. Think the girls have a better chance of winning.. And congrats to TCU climbing the Mountain competing in all Big Sports.