Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

OT: Dolphins Minicamp: No Pads, No Helmets, No Practice

...Dolphins rookies will spend all their time during this minicamp in classroom sessions learning how to be Miami Dolphins. That means they're going to get schooled on the schemes they're playing, their assignments, and everything football that involves the brain.

But they're also going to get a little polished up as people. They're going to get life labs to help them with nutrition, financial planning, sports science, and dealing with the media -- the last of which is a big part of their job believe it or not.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2016/05/miami-dolphins-unveiling-a-radical-idea-for-rookie-minicamp.html

So, like most other mid-level or professional corporate jobs in this country. 

About time. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

11 hours ago, Jwherb said:

So, like most other mid-level or professional corporate jobs in this country. 

About time. 

As a Dolphins fan, I really like the move. It's key for some of these guys to get life coaching on things outside of football as they move into their professional careers. I'm glad that we have an owner (for all of his faults), that is supporting concepts like this, and even driving them to a degree. 

I think this is a great program by Miami, especially the financial planning part. Another thing the whole league should prepare young players for is discernment of the right crowds to associate with. Maybe it's my perception but it seems a number of young players fall prey to what I would refer to as "entourage predators." 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Or how easy it is to blow through a few million dollars.  

It's a great program. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

10 hours ago, Broncos4Ever said:

I agree it's a great program but it's misplaced.  It should be a requirement for all athletes to take and pass a college class on these topics.  By the time they get drafted it's often too late.  

I think all colleges with big-time d1 sports programs should allow their athletes to major in "sports performance." You'd take classes as you described above. It would still be academic but allow athletes to focus on what they're there for. If they don't wind up going pro, they can major in something else after their college careers are over.