Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Protester is "trigged" at UMASS Amherst Video of Trigglypuff

On 4/30/2016 at 7:52 PM, jackmormon said:

She was trying to shout the speaker down and people shouted her down. she cryed hate speech, and the most of the crowd exercised their free speech by saying shut up ++++.

Free for all then?

The World Needs More Cowboys!

On 5/1/2016 at 7:12 PM, youngrebelfan40 said:

This really isn't what most college campuses are like. Fox News and other conservative media just like to push the narrative utilizing weirdos and outliers

A Fox plant, you think?

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

Free for all then?

When I went to school, they would probably ask someone like that to leave. But if they are going to allow disruptions, they need to allow them from everyone.

3 hours ago, pokebball said:

A Fox plant, you think?

Nah, but there's a couple at every school with tens of thousands of students. Doesn't denote a "culture". That shit is contrived to rile you up and make you fear intellectualism- fearful and stupid is how the media likes em. Fox just knows how to manipulate their demographic especially well

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

13 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Nah, but there's a couple at every school with tens of thousands of students. Doesn't denote a "culture". That shit is contrived to rile you up and make you fear intellectualism- fearful and stupid is how the media likes em. Fox just knows how to manipulate their demographic especially well

http://www.businessinsider.com/alan-dershowitz-thinks-free-speech-is-in-danger-on-college-campuses-2015-11

I suppose Alan Dershowitz is a Fox manipulator as well. Last I checked he was a liberal Harvard Law professor.

2 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/alan-dershowitz-thinks-free-speech-is-in-danger-on-college-campuses-2015-11

I suppose Alan Dershowitz is a Fox manipulator as well. Last I checked he was a liberal Harvard Law professor.

Some people profit from pushing that narrative. There's extremist elements everywhere, but their influence and the extent to which they are portrayed is completely sensationalized. I'm on a college campus and I am technically in academia and I am familiar with similar departments so I have a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about.

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

9 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Some people profit from pushing that narrative. There's extremist elements everywhere, but their influence and the extent to which they are portrayed is completely sensationalized. I'm on a college campus and I am technically in academia and I am familiar with similar departments so I have a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about.

I'm happy that there's an understanding of extreme elements - in everything thing, each and every day, including racism, right?

10 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

That would be like saying Climate change researchers profit from pushing their narrative so their results should be suspect.

13 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Lolz. 

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears; it was their final, most essential command.

40 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

That would be like saying Climate change researchers profit from pushing their narrative so their results should be suspect.

No, it isn't. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

33 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Any research that is expected to come to a predetermined conclusion by the funder should be suspect.

I listened to the entirety of the panel for "The Triggering." While much of it is abrasive I never felt like they overstepped any boundaries into what you could consider hate speech, as many of the protesters seem to suggest. One girls sent a 2,000-word letter to the UMass administration DEMANDING action be taken against the UMass Republicans for libel and harassment. According to her (and her attorney), copying posts on facebook is copyright infringement, and she seems to be taking action against a website called turtleboysports for copying her posts from facebook. I know nothing about that, but using her name may be the infringement. The letter is certainly an interesting read if you have the time. Maybe someone can explain to me how or why that situation would cause someone to feel "unsafe" and maybe explain to me exactly what unsafe means in this instance as it is very poorly defined. Interesting to note that she was arrested for burglary a few months ago. Here is the list of her demands to the university (note: this is NOT Trigglypuff herself, but a friend):

• “I demand appropriate disciplinary action be taken against UMass Republicans.”
  • “I request they be met with and lectured on cyberbullying and harassment.”
  • “I request they be indicted into a probationary period and their actions monitored so as to ensure they are not endorsing behaviour which puts other people in danger.”
  • “I request an apology from UMass Republicans for condoning the harassment I and countless others have been subjected to as a result of their atrocious event on Monday.”
  • “I expect a response from UMass representatives regarding the condoning of harassment, cyberbullying, and hate speech on the part of UMass Republicans and the UMass institution which hosted their event.”
  • “I will wait until 10 AM on Friday, April 29, and if I do not receive a response by then, I will escalate my demands and will go to the press about this situation.”

And the link to the breitbart article with the full letter.

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/05/02/student-sends-hilarious-2000-word-complaint-to-college-authorities-after-milo-event/

If you guys have time, watch the whole 90-minute event. The Q&A during the last 30 minutes was gold.

5 minutes ago, trl87 said:

I listened to the entirety of the panel for "The Triggering." While much of it is abrasive I never felt like they overstepped any boundaries into what you could consider hate speech, as many of the protesters seem to suggest. One girls sent a 2,000-word letter to the UMass administration DEMANDING action be taken against the UMass Republicans for libel and harassment. According to her (and her attorney), copying posts on facebook is copyright infringement, and she seems to be taking action against a website called turtleboysports for copying her posts from facebook. I know nothing about that, but using her name may be the infringement. The letter is certainly an interesting read if you have the time. Maybe someone can explain to me how or why that situation would cause someone to feel "unsafe" and maybe explain to me exactly what unsafe means in this instance as it is very poorly defined. Interesting to note that she was arrested for burglary a few months ago. Here is the list of her demands to the university (note: this is NOT Trigglypuff herself, but a friend):

• “I demand appropriate disciplinary action be taken against UMass Republicans.”
  • “I request they be indicted into a probationary period and their actions monitored so as to ensure they are not endorsing behaviour which puts other people in danger.”
  • “I request an apology from UMass Republicans for condoning the harassment I and countless others have been subjected to as a result of their atrocious event on Monday.”
  • “I expect a response from UMass representatives regarding the condoning of harassment, cyberbullying, and hate speech on the part of UMass Republicans and the UMass institution which hosted their event.”
  • “I will wait until 10 AM on Friday, April 29, and if I do not receive a response by then, I will escalate my demands and will go to the press about this situation.”

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/05/02/student-sends-hilarious-2000-word-complaint-to-college-authorities-after-milo-event/

If you guys have time, watch the whole 90-minute event. The Q&A during the last 30 minutes was gold.

Wait. She didn't even GO to Umass? She crashed the Umass event from ANOTHER SCHOOL and then wanted to lecture other people on being in a safe space?

What a complete tool

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

11 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Wait. She didn't even GO to Umass? She crashed the Umass event from ANOTHER SCHOOL and then wanted to lecture other people on being in a safe space?

What a complete tool

I believe she went to Hampshire College. I remember her writing that UMass was part of the Five College Consortium: UMass Amherst, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke, Smith College, and Amherst College. It sounds to me they are governed by the same board or some shit. Apparently Hampshire College costs around $50,000 a year to attend, so most of the students came from upper-middle class or wealthier families. This review of the college I found humerous:

What is your overall opinion of this school?
Imagine going to school in a densely populated Occupy protestors' camp: the smells of unwashed bodies and clothes, the sights of hairy, unwashed people, the sounds of drums beating and dogs barking throughout the camp; at night, the deep groanings of souls in distress and mental torment; the sense of there being no right, no wrong, no up or down, no east or west, no adults, just angst-soaked middle schoolers in an alternate universe with nothing to do--just grey, bloody senseless clawing at the earth and eachother for something that spoke of life and meaning, goodness and justice, love, mercy, purity--just for a moment.. Each day you would wake up and see, smell, and hear the same cold, overbearing, self-righteous, and incoherent child-people complaining, cursing the cosmos, cursing God, cursing one another, babbling, accomplishing nothing. This gives some idea of what it's like to attend Hampshire. Now place the same camp near some woods and hills that are quite pretty at certain times of year, and you have the whole picture. I attended Hampshire for four years. This wasn't typical--most students took far longer. I had come from a demanding public school, so I was self-disciplined. Most students were not; they were generally rich and lazy, extremely depressed, incoherent, and belligerent. Sadly, I saw many students become deeply and permanently scarred by their experience there. For example, one student became notorious for practicing bizarre, revolting antics on campus closed-circuit cable TV (e.g., beheading animals, performing sexual acts with himself). He invited his brother on the show and promoted it as a time when his brother would commit suicide. Many students were watching. His brother took a cup full of orange liquid, drank it, and collapsed. The host tried to rouse him, and was apparently surprised; it was not intended, but was a stunt. But, in fact, the student's brother committed suicide live on campus TV. This was not particularly extraordinary for Hampshire. The demographics of the school were generally upper income East Coast students who had attended private or alternative high schools. My experience was that my peers were generally very poorly prepared for a rigorous college educational experience. They did not know the basics of math, history, humanities-- hence, the long lag in graduation times. I am now a teacher, and this group would have been more qualified for remedial adult education, such as GED instruction. I also worked in health care, and observed many of the same behaviors here that I saw in inpatient psychiatric units. Classes were not rigorous, compared to others I attended at the local universities with which Hampshire has co-op arrangements; in fact, my high school AP classes were far more demanding than Hampshire's. Sadly, most faculty did not raise the bar for these underprepared students, and the classes generally devolved into the same, tired screeds about race, gender, sexuality, etc--even if the class content had nothing to do with it. This was so often the case that it became pointless to attend class, as the class was not really run by the professor, but by the students, who had nothing new to say, but certainly demanded to say it again anyway. As compared with the campuses I visited and attended classes at nearby, Hampshire was the most intolerant , elitist, hostile, and socially toxic. Drug use, sales, and abuse was rampant; the school had the reputation for being the drug capital of the East Coast- a notoriety that was extraordinary considering its >1000 student size and hefty price tag. Abortions were as common as eggs for breakfast, as were treated or untreated mental illnesses. Students came to class without literally any clothes and no one said boo--just sat there with in class, sitting on overstuffed chair with their stuff hanging (and smelling). Most students I knew were engaged in some form of dark art--witchcraft, seances, wicca, black/white magic, past life regression, talking with deceased spirits. I can think of only student of I knew who could even begin to construct a coherent worldview, have a decent discussion, or form a healthy relationship. (She was a very nice girl from the Queens borough of NYC; blue collar, worked her way through school, hard working. No angst, just a nice hardworking student who was a true friend) I would encourage anyone considering attending Hampshire to factor in not only the 45,000/year tuition, but about 12,000 /year in psychiatric services + a 1,000/year in meds you may need to spend for many years thereafter. There is no way to estimate the cost to your life of the damage this school will cause. I say this with all sincerity and hope that you will consider this as a real warning. I attended Hampshire because I had never visited it; I was told that I was accepted over the phone and attended sight unseen. Had I known these truths about Hampshire and had others looked into it with me, I would never, ever have attended here. I say this with an awareness of others' reviews here; as a whole, they sound much like what I would have written when I attended. In other words, not so bad. But the damage that was being done to many students took years to be revealed. Like termites, or exposure to radiation the damage was done and continuing, but would not be manifested until years later.

Regardless, it seems that these SJWs will go out of their way to be triggered and cry hate speech and racism. The fact that they were crying racist at a conservative gay man who enjoys the company of black men made me chuckle a bit.

1 hour ago, trl87 said:

I've watched it twice now.  I really enjoyed the lecture.  A lot of really good information, especially the feminist.

My favorite line was when Crowder was asked why there were no black people on the stage "look sweetheart, you have a gay Trump supporter, a feminist life long democrat and a Canadian American religious conservative but you don't care.  The only diversity you don't care about is intellectual diversity".

The Gay Trump supporter is a rising star.

6 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

All science should be suspect, that's what science is. If you disagree with it feel free to argue with them on a peer-reviewed scientific basis and get back to me.

Science is less subjective than saying "schoolz b 2 liburrul" because it can be disproven through something called the scientific method. Feel free to employ that.

7 hours ago, pokebball said:

I'm happy that there's an understanding of extreme elements - in everything thing, each and every day, including racism, right?

Well, there's less tolerance for speech that has historically been uttered right before a brutal torture and lynching than for speech that has historically been uttered right before a puff of ganja and a hippie spiritual. Less tolerance for speech that has been said before passing real-life legislation that socially and economically disadvantaged minorities than speech said before passing the blunt after a sick bongo drum solo. So you decide if all speech is equal.

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Well, there's less tolerance for speech that has historically been uttered right before a brutal torture and lynching than for speech that has historically been uttered right before a puff of ganja and a hippie spiritual. Less tolerance for speech that has been said before passing real-life legislation that socially and economically disadvantaged minorities than speech said before passing the blunt after a sick bongo drum solo. So you decide if all speech is equal.

Agree 1000%.  The recent bastardization of 'free speech' by both sides has jumped the shark.  People now equate 'free speech'  to mean that they cannot be challenged in any way whatsoever. The bigger issue it seems, is that many people have taken decency and respect and no longer even consider it before opening their ignorant pieholes.  Like the fat cow in the line at Walmart yelling at the guy using food stamps.  What a disgrace.  MYOB?  Empathy?  Worry about yourself?  Nope!  All the while not realizing that if she was against people on food stamps, wtf is she doing shopping at Walmart in which pretty much all non-ft/manager level employees, including the lady at the checkout stand, need SNAP in order to supplement their below poverty line wages. Unintentional irony at its finest. 

Everyone now has assumed the right to be the biggest asshole they wish to be, and then cry 'free speech' as an excuse for their ugly behavior, as if it absolves them.  Sure. You are free to say something that others find offensive.  But it doesn't make you right.  It just makes you a dick with an opinion and a lack of respect. I had a good laugh today when I heard one of the pundits on the news channels say 'the american voters are smart'.  

1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Which was my point.