Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MWC Tex

MW Saturday Games on TV Released

57 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

You'll feel different if SDSU gets on ESPN twice, and Wyo gets on ESPN3 five times.

ESPN is contracted to take a certain number of games each season, only Boise is guaranteed bonus games.  ESPN commits to all the rest knowing that they can put them online if they want.  Then they look for a matchup here or there that is worth promoting.  Those are determined by what happens after the season starts.

My guess is that SDSU is looking at a hell of a year, and you'll make more bonus $$ than most teams with 4 or 5 ESPN "network" commitments.  

Besides, the bonus $$ are pooled now.  So it's really about exposure.  CBSSports isn't quite the exposure of ESPN, but it's a lot better than ESPNU.  I'll have to look and see how it compares to the deuce.

isn"t bonus $$ only pooled for games vs Boise St???

CBSsn owns 7 of the 9 games we have on TV this season ... of the remaining 2, One is for ESPN2 (Friday Night vs SJSU) and the other is "ESPN networks" vs UNLV (first conference game of the season).

I know all this, and I don't feel any differently.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

25 minutes ago, HighNTight_SD said:

isn"t bonus $$ only pooled for games vs Boise St???

CBSsn owns 7 of the 9 games we have on TV this season ... of the remaining 2, One is for ESPN2 (Friday Night vs SJSU) and the other is "ESPN networks" vs UNLV (first conference game of the season).

I know all this, and I don't feel any differently.

You may be right on the pool, I'm not sure.

Bad luck on getting UNLV in the first game as your other ESPN shot.  Pretty sure you'd have a better chance at a bonus game if it were later in the season.  I guess you'll have to win your OOC this year.

ESPN is the boss I get all their channels on Sling $25 on high speed Internet in HD TV on my big TVs so I'll be watching you espn teams. My antenna picks up great HD TV over the air with CBS Sports but not the CBSSN that  have MWC games. CBSSN requires an expensive  cable/satellite package to stream it which is ridiculous why would I stream than? And not interested in backdoor illegal virus infected streams. With NETFLIX on Roku I have the best TV I've ever had.

Everyone knows that the bonus system is upside down for everyone who's not my little pony.  Get over it.  The good news is that SDSU has a ton of games on national TV, and that's worth a lot as well.  The 'lil ponies earned their deal by winning a lot of games and putting themselves in the middle of a bidding war between the MWC and BigLeast.  Good for them. I hope that it makes them feel a little better after we crush them in the MWCCG.

Just win and the $$$ will follow.

Go Aztecs!

3 minutes ago, GoCoAztec said:

Everyone knows that the bonus system is upside down for everyone who's not my little pony.  Get over it.  The good news is that SDSU has a ton of games on national TV, and that's worth a lot as well.  The 'lil ponies earned their deal by winning a lot of games and putting themselves in the middle of a bidding war between the MWC and BigLeast.  Good for them. I hope that it makes them feel a little better after we crush them in the MWCCG.

Just win and the $$$ will follow.

Go Aztecs!

It's fair and agreed so rise your team if you don't like it. Good Post.

26 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

You may be right on the pool, I'm not sure.

Bad luck on getting UNLV in the first game as your other ESPN shot.  Pretty sure you'd have a better chance at a bonus game if it were later in the season.  I guess you'll have to win your OOC this year.

LoL, we both know it's not luck ... CBSsn picks us 1st and was sure to take the home game vs Cal and the late season match-ups knowing we were expected to to contend for the West.

The only surprises was that ESPN managed to get the SJSU game as they are expected to be the other contenders in the West. My guess is that they traded for it and moved the game to Friday so the bonus drops from $500K to $300K saving them some money and increasing their ROI.

This is how the media contract works for SDSU ... the bonus system is a joke.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

30 minutes ago, Htownfan said:

It's fair and agreed so rise your team if you don't like it. Good Post.

please explain how it is fair ... 

The better SDSU does, the more CBSsn will hold on to those games and the less ESPN will have access to them ... only games on ESPN/2 can get a bonus 

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

29 minutes ago, HighNTight_SD said:

LoL, we both know it's not luck ... CBSsn picks us 1st and was sure to take the home game vs Cal and the late season match-ups knowing we were expected to to contend for the West.

The only surprises was that ESPN managed to get the SJSU game as they are expected to be the other contenders in the West. My guess is that they traded for it and moved the game to Friday so the bonus drops from $500K to $300K saving them some money and increasing their ROI.

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that room.  I can't imagine the tough negotiating that went on as ESPN and CBSSN fought tooth and nail over a SDSU/SJSU matchup.  As usual, both got their way in their combined effort to keep SDSU down.

11 minutes ago, HighNTight_SD said:

please explain how it is fair ... 

The better SDSU does, the more CBSsn will hold on to those games and the less ESPN will have access to them ... only games on ESPN/2 can get a bonus 

Well CBSsn likes your City and Beach's not surprised at all. They are a national sports channel with Cable/Satellite service. Our Presidents agreed to get Boise with espn stipulations. We will deal with it and change it when due contract negotiations. I'll listen to CBSsn games on headphones with my team which isn't so bad after all.

10 minutes ago, Htownfan said:

Well CBSsn likes your City and Beach's not surprised at all. They are a national sports channel with Cable/Satellite service. Our Presidents agreed to get Boise with espn stipulations. We will deal with it and change it when due contract negotiations. I'll listen to CBSsn games on headphones with my team which isn't so bad after all.

I wonder how much leverage the conference will actually have regarding that deal when negotiations are revisited.  I wonder who's got the balls to use whatever leverage we do have.  

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I wonder how much leverage the conference will actually have regarding that deal when negotiations are revisited.  I wonder who's got the balls to use whatever leverage we do have.  

Be really easy if Boise isn't accepted into a P-5 conference. Where would they go to the Sun?

4 hours ago, Htownfan said:

ESPN is the boss I get all their channels on Sling $25 on high speed Internet in HD TV on my big TVs so I'll be watching you espn teams. My antenna picks up great HD TV over the air with CBS Sports but not the CBSSN that  have MWC games. CBSSN requires an expensive  cable/satellite package to stream it which is ridiculous why would I stream than? And not interested in backdoor illegal virus infected streams. With NETFLIX on Roku I have the best TV I've ever had.

I get all the CBSSN games for free. I don't have any tv subscription and I don't pirate them. What I did do requires basic DIYer skills. And since the vast majority of millsexuals are still wearing Velcro shoes and wouldn't know which end of a screwdriver to use, I won't waste my time explaining that

But what you could do is try  video add ons in Kodi 16.1

12667677.jpeg

On 4/30/2016 at 0:13 AM, Fowl said:

So the team that ran through the conference undefeated, has the nation's longest winning streak, and brings back almost everyone gets on ESPN twice and WYO and USU get on ESPN five times?????

Do you guys not see why this is a raw deal?

Yep. Sucks to be an AssTick...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

16 hours ago, Htownfan said:

Be really easy if Boise isn't accepted into a P-5 conference. Where would they go to the Sun?

I'm sure Boise would be taken back by the AAC.. 

You know Kustra is going to fight tooth and nail to keep the ESPN deal.

On April 29, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Loboblast said:

UNM with 5 games on ESPN networks and no games on CBSSN. By comparison SDSU is on ESPN networks 1 time and 5 times on CBSSN. 

Not sure if that's a bad sign for UNM. 

The game at Rutgers will most likely be on BTN. 

And Fresno State with only one  Saturday and one Friday game as 'ESPN Networks' games...rest gobbled up by CBS.  Going to be a lean TV money year for Dogs with only one announced guaranteed national broadcast, a $300k Friday game v AFA on ESPN2. The Nevada game may help, but could just as easily be a ESPNU or 3 type game...

18 hours ago, HighNTight_SD said:

ESPN does not pay any more or less.  They give the MWC the same amount of money every year, and the MWC pools it out in bonuses.

Sucks for SDSU.  To bad Fresno/Nevada and UNLV are not playing better football to take some of the CBS burden away from you.

18 hours ago, Hugh Jiddump said:

I get all the CBSSN games for free. I don't have any tv subscription and I don't pirate them. What I did do requires basic DIYer skills. And since the vast majority of millsexuals are still wearing Velcro shoes and wouldn't know which end of a screwdriver to use, I won't waste my time explaining that

But what you could do is try  video add ons in Kodi 16.1

Don't buy Velcro shoes I'm picky and just leave my shoe laces loose. And thank you for your info I'll try it.

8 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

ESPN does not pay any more or less.  They give the MWC the same amount of money every year, and the MWC pools it out in bonuses.

Sucks for SDSU.  To bad Fresno/Nevada and UNLV are not playing better football to take some of the CBS burden away from you.

That's just the way it is.  San Diego is  a major media market and it behooves CBSSN to use it to their advantage.  They will always go to where they can get the best bang for their bucks.  It's strictly a business decision.  Why should they care about unfairness?  The shame of it all is Hair could give two shits about it since the MWC is getting their money from CBS.

On 5/1/2016 at 1:12 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I will state that this is not 100% accurate ... the amount of money paid to the MWC by ESPN is fluid and not static as you claim.

My understanding is that aside from the Boise St guarantee of $900K, there is no obligation for ESPN to put any MWC games on ESPN/2 and could place all other games on ESPNu or ESPN3. The MWC would have to figure out how to divide the base contract money between members using some other means if no games were actually placed on National TV to satisfy the terms of the bonus arrangement.

conversely, should ESPN add more games to the National TV slate than the contract calls for, they would pay more money to do so -- again per the terms of the bonus structure.

If indeed ESPN paid the MWC the same amount every year ... the MWC would not be able to set exact amounts of $300K for a weekday game or $500K for a weekend game on "National TV".

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

On 5/1/2016 at 7:24 PM, Htownfan said:

In actuality, per the bonus system, neither CBSsn or ESPNU are considered "National" broadcasts, let alone ESPN3, Root or MWCnetwork/CampusInsiders.com so the fact that you can listen to them on your headphones is not material to the conversation regarding the bonus structure or fairness.

"Our Presidents" is an interesting term ... as I understand it, one of the first to vote for the system and then complain about how their school was screwed by it was UNLV.

SDSU & Boise St were not voting members at the time and I don't think that SJSU or USU were either. As far as changing the contract goes ... that comes down to who bids on the contract in 2019/20 and if Boise St keeps their side deal. There is a strong possibility that the same terms remain in place -- more or less.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg