Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheyCrawlinAgain

The Menzies recruit commitment thread

I think Starvin Marvin is gonna be on the radio tonight but I only briefly heard it, I believe they are at Born and Raised doing the show 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

29 minutes ago, just_chris said:

I think Starvin Marvin is gonna be on the radio tonight but I only briefly heard it, I believe they are at Born and Raised doing the show

Meet & Greet again. NO STARVIN MARVIN, THAT IS MY POUTINE!

Just now, Rosegreen said:

Djordjije Sljivancanin from Ukraine is an interesting prospect. Menzies has some international connections, reminds me of the way Bayno recruited with Kaspars Kambala and Dickel. 

He's gonna take time to develop by the looks of him.  Kas was a stud his first year but didn't improve the remainder.  Btw, he's still playing in Europe last I heard and has a house and kid in Vegas.  Dickel is coaching in New Zealand.

3 hours ago, StolenBases said:

He's gonna take time to develop by the looks of him.  Kas was a stud his first year but didn't improve the remainder.  Btw, he's still playing in Europe last I heard and has a house and kid in Vegas.  Dickel is coaching in New Zealand.

I think Dickel actually coached the Albanian National Team.  I remember when Kambala tried to box 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

Im gonna talk about the UNLV mbb players in a minute now that the 2016 roster is finally set but first UNLV fans should be very pleased at the job Menzies and his crew did here under such turmoil with a depleted roster and a mass exodus going on,to bring in a staff of Andre LaFleur,Rob Jeter and Eric Brown is very impressive,these coaches have major connections and strong contacts nationwide and globally,plus Menzies is a great recruiter himself and a fundamentally sound head coach who can coach many styles and a great teacher of X's & O's with a high level of basketball I.Q...something UNLV lacked big time under Dave Rice's staff in developing his players to reach their full potential as a team and program,Dave had guys who shined individually but not very good chemistry wise over-all the past 2 seasons,Ive tracked all these players from the start since Marvin first got hired and a few even before Chris Beard was pulling his crap BS stunt,people were quick to throw UNLV under the bus but they forget Canadian 6'4 Jalen Poyser was a 4-Star recruit and 6'8 PF Dwayne Morgan was a 5-Star,D Morgan will do much better under these coaches to reach his potential,I look for him to have a break-out season as a Junior,Poyser is a deadly 3-point shooter who busted his ass in the off-season working on his game,he will probably lead UNLV in scoring this year and also run some point,If 6'11 ripped 235 pounds C Dembele can get cleared soon in some circles he was regarded as a 4-Star recruit also he just needs to learn the american game better but he has huge upside,a little raw right now but has the shotblocking and rebounding already,a soft touch for a big man and a good free throw shooter with an NBA body already,Tyrell Green was injured last year and he is back also and lost 20 pounds and is in great shape,Green is a knock down 3-point shooter but big enough ( 6 ft 7' ) to play in the post also,they brought in 6 ft 6' SG/SF Kris Clyburn from the JUCO ranks who reminds me a lot of Patrick McCaw,he can fill up the stats sheets and is a all-around player offense & defense,smooth stroke from 3 and slasher,likes to run and play fast,they brought in the Spaldings JUCO POY in Jo-Jo Mooring who averaged 26 ppg down there and can run some point,they got 2 Sr transfers in 6'7 Christian Jones & 6'4 SG Uche Ofoegbu both who will bring instant leadership and toughness,Jones will play some Center early on and PF,Uche has a good touch from deep and can drive to the basket,the 6'10 Ukranian PF/C " Georgie " is a unknown player to most but one scout said he has a nice stroke from 3 and can run the lanes and finish with dunks and score in the post,he is more of a stretch-4 PF,they brought in a Sr transfer PG for 2017 in 5'11 Jordy Johnson who was 2nd in the nation in assists at 8.1 and can score it pretty good,he is a true PG who plays fast,they got two 3-Star freshmen players from Chicago in SF/PF 6'7 Ben Coupet who is more of a defensive player,long arms and rebounder and combo guard 6'4 Zion Morgan who does a little of everything,can run point,defense,score,both those guys were nice program pick ups,6'1 Larry Bush is another JUCO player who is coming in as a walk-on but this guy stands a good chance to see real minutes,averaged 17 ppg and 6 rebounds,was voted the teams best player both years he played there and the last walk-on is true PG Jaylan Ballou from the Cali area averaged 17 ppg and 9 assists,his HS coach said he thought he was the best PG in his Cali region,and last but not least Freshman 4-Star recruit 6'8 PF Troy Baxter Jr who was a huge pick up for Menzies this late in recruiting,a high flyer and already one of the nations best dunkers coming out of HS,he has NBA potential,improving jumper and reminds me a lot like a Derrick Jones Jr but a little bigger,long arms,long frame,he will probably be here 2 or 3 years,I doubt he is a One & Done,Menzies team is going to play fast and up-tempo and press some,they are a little under-sized but will try to make up for that by getting out and runnin' the lanes using their quickness,you might even see some zone to help out with rebounding and post defense,UNLV already has a nice foundation put in place and a ton of offers out to some big time high level recruits in 2017-18 and beyond and International players,UNLV will probably have 3 roster spots open for 2017 to bring in a few more new guys,this team in 2016 will have their ups & downs but they have a chance to surprise people and Menzies crew wll coach them up with fundamentals and play hard,things arent as bad as people were painting them out to be,I like this squad he put together under such short notice year 1,just wait till he has the program more stabilized then you will see UNLV landing solid recruits for years to come,Its not that far off now,Its coming soon,I guarantee it,hiring Menzies and his assistants was a great move by UNLV,the best man for the job and somebody who has a true vision of what UNLV can be again,this is his dream job and he knows Its potential to build it up right,people who tried to kick UNLV when they were down saying this will take 4-5 years to rebuild dont know what the fawks theyre talking about,I think this team will be just as good if not better than the team Dave Rice would have put out there this year,Menzies aint looking at this as a down year,he wants to win now,I predict UNLV wins close to 20 regular season games if not maybe closer to 20+ counting the MWC Tourney games,and who knows maybe the NIT or another one,or better ...

Baxter Jr.jpg

Uche Ofoegbu UNLV.jpg

UNLV 2016-17.jpg

On 9/8/2016 at 2:44 AM, REB3LUT1ON said:

Im gonna talk about the UNLV mbb players in a minute now that the 2016 roster is finally set but first UNLV fans should be very pleased at the job Menzies and his crew did here under such turmoil with a depleted roster and a mass exodus going on,to bring in a staff of Andre LaFleur,Rob Jeter and Eric Brown is very impressive,these coaches have major connections and strong contacts nationwide and globally,plus Menzies is a great recruiter himself and a fundamentally sound head coach who can coach many styles and a great teacher of X's & O's with a high level of basketball I.Q...something UNLV lacked big time under Dave Rice's staff in developing his players to reach their full potential as a team and program,Dave had guys who shined individually but not very good chemistry wise over-all the past 2 seasons,Ive tracked all these players from the start since Marvin first got hired and a few even before Chris Beard was pulling his crap BS stunt,people were quick to throw UNLV under the bus but they forget Canadian 6'4 Jalen Poyser was a 4-Star recruit and 6'8 PF Dwayne Morgan was a 5-Star,D Morgan will do much better under these coaches to reach his potential,I look for him to have a break-out season as a Junior,Poyser is a deadly 3-point shooter who busted his ass in the off-season working on his game,he will probably lead UNLV in scoring this year and also run some point,If 6'11 ripped 235 pounds C Dembele can get cleared soon in some circles he was regarded as a 4-Star recruit also he just needs to learn the american game better but he has huge upside,a little raw right now but has the shotblocking and rebounding already,a soft touch for a big man and a good free throw shooter with an NBA body already,Tyrell Green was injured last year and he is back also and lost 20 pounds and is in great shape,Green is a knock down 3-point shooter but big enough ( 6 ft 7' ) to play in the post also,they brought in 6 ft 6' SG/SF Kris Clyburn from the JUCO ranks who reminds me a lot of Patrick McCaw,he can fill up the stats sheets and is a all-around player offense & defense,smooth stroke from 3 and slasher,likes to run and play fast,they brought in the Spaldings JUCO POY in Jo-Jo Mooring who averaged 26 ppg down there and can run some point,they got 2 Sr transfers in 6'7 Christian Jones & 6'4 SG Uche Ofoegbu both who will bring instant leadership and toughness,Jones will play some Center early on and PF,Uche has a good touch from deep and can drive to the basket,the 6'10 Ukranian PF/C " Georgie " is a unknown player to most but one scout said he has a nice stroke from 3 and can run the lanes and finish with dunks and score in the post,he is more of a stretch-4 PF,they brought in a Sr transfer PG for 2017 in 5'11 Jordy Johnson who was 2nd in the nation in assists at 8.1 and can score it pretty good,he is a true PG who plays fast,they got two 3-Star freshmen players from Chicago in SF/PF 6'7 Ben Coupet who is more of a defensive player,long arms and rebounder and combo guard 6'4 Zion Morgan who does a little of everything,can run point,defense,score,both those guys were nice program pick ups,6'1 Larry Bush is another JUCO player who is coming in as a walk-on but this guy stands a good chance to see real minutes,averaged 17 ppg and 6 rebounds,was voted the teams best player both years he played there and the last walk-on is true PG Jaylan Ballou from the Cali area averaged 17 ppg and 9 assists,his HS coach said he thought he was the best PG in his Cali region,and last but not least Freshman 4-Star recruit 6'8 PF Troy Baxter Jr who was a huge pick up for Menzies this late in recruiting,a high flyer and already one of the nations best dunkers coming out of HS,he has NBA potential,improving jumper and reminds me a lot like a Derrick Jones Jr but a little bigger,long arms,long frame,he will probably be here 2 or 3 years,I doubt he is a One & Done,Menzies team is going to play fast and up-tempo and press some,they are a little under-sized but will try to make up for that by getting out and runnin' the lanes using their quickness,you might even see some zone to help out with rebounding and post defense,UNLV already has a nice foundation put in place and a ton of offers out to some big time high level recruits in 2017-18 and beyond and International players,UNLV will probably have 3 roster spots open for 2017 to bring in a few more new guys,this team in 2016 will have their ups & downs but they have a chance to surprise people and Menzies crew wll coach them up with fundamentals and play hard,things arent as bad as people were painting them out to be,I like this squad he put together under such short notice year 1,just wait till he has the program more stabilized then you will see UNLV landing solid recruits for years to come,Its not that far off now,Its coming soon,I guarantee it,hiring Menzies and his assistants was a great move by UNLV,the best man for the job and somebody who has a true vision of what UNLV can be again,this is his dream job and he knows Its potential to build it up right,people who tried to kick UNLV when they were down saying this will take 4-5 years to rebuild dont know what the fawks theyre talking about,I think this team will be just as good if not better than the team Dave Rice would have put out there this year,Menzies aint looking at this as a down year,he wants to win now,I predict UNLV wins close to 20 regular season games if not maybe closer to 20+ counting the MWC Tourney games,and who knows maybe the NIT or another one,or better ...

I agree that Menzies staff is strong and even though I had been hoping that Menzies would get Paul Weir to follow from NMSU (but he was hired as HC there).  I think that LaFleur and Jeter were huge additions.

I don't know how ready for D1 Dembele is - I've heard he is far behind where Okonoboh was when he arrived at UNLV.  If he ends up redshirting the season it might benefit him in the long run.

The early summer addition of Christian Jones really helps as far as being able to hold our own in MWC play. 

Green was a mystery last season and is again going in this year.  I thought of him as a post player (since we were in such need of post players) who could step out and hit the 3 reliably (like Brian Shaw if you remember him) but now that he's trimmed down what should his position be?

I notice you haven't entered your projected starting five for UNLV yet over at: