Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StolenBases

Regents & Boosters are pissed

16 hours ago, StolenBases said:

I'm not buying that (not if a Karl deal is worked out to immediately replace it).  I think to approve it sends UNLV basketball into a funk it may never recover from.  NHL likely starts next year and may knock (an already unpopular) UNLV hoops (program) out cold.

BS UNLV hoops will be heads up more popular than the NHL.

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Evan Burns. 

As I recall, he had a vision problem;  couldn't see going to class.

Those were some dark days.  The staff was turning over every rock trying to find anyone with even a semblance of a D1 game/body.  We had some games against some top tier D1 squads back then and we looked like a small school HS squad when compared against their athletes. Fun times....

Yes. Evan Burns. He was a very nice prospect. Today with all the athletic resources and support for athletes it wouldn't as much of a problem. I remember when Steve Fisher was hired. It was a tough build but he has done a unbelievable job. I still find it comical that fans will still critize Fish. 

1 minute ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

I am absolutely going to plagiarize this line in the future.

You've never heard that before?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

Nope.  And I'm a UNLV fan from the Tark era LOL

Damn.  When I was 18 and a senior in high school, I skipped school one day and the school made my dad right a note for me (which he was surprised by since I had a job, a car, paid my bills etc).  Anyway he wrote "He had a vision problem and couldn't see himself going to school yesterday."

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

39 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Damn.  When I was 18 and a senior in high school, I skipped school one day and the school made my dad right a note for me (which he was surprised by since I had a job, a car, paid my bills etc).  Anyway he wrote "He had a vision problem and couldn't see himself going to school yesterday."

My coworkers and I let each other know whenever we call in sick.

"Have glaucoma today"

Can't see my ass going into work.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Oh and this thread is useless banter. No way regents deny Menzies.

1. I thought I read it was actually for less than Beard.

2. Follows the boards stupid "not mandatory, but we'll ++++ if you don't follow it" template

3. Already picked up one of the votes who denied Beard. Stephens has a black man like she wanted.

4. UNLV made a quick Mill from Beards departure.

My guess is 12-1 vote. With the Chair Reno grad being the lone retarded ranger in his pay scale philosophy.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

7 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Oh and this thread is useless banter. No way regents deny Menzies.

1. I thought I read it was actually for less than Beard.

2. Follows the boards stupid "not mandatory, but we'll ++++ if you don't follow it" template

3. Already picked up one of the votes who denied Beard. Stephens has a black man like she wanted.

4. UNLV made a quick Mill from Beards departure.

My guess is 12-1 vote. With the Chair Reno grad being the lone retarded ranger in his pay scale philosophy.

I bet you are right on the 12-1 vote. Also, i predict a scene straight out of Hoosier's when the had the town meeting and to discuss the future and firing of coach Norman Dale and Jimmy Chitwood shows up in support of the coach and says: "I play, coach stays. He goes, I go". I predict the entire UNLV roster except for Zimmerman and Cornish shows up and voices their support for Menzies and then what are the Rebel.Nutter's going to say that try to show up in protest. 

11 hours ago, PrimeReb said:

Yes. Evan Burns. He was a very nice prospect. Today with all the athletic resources and support for athletes it wouldn't as much of a problem. I remember when Steve Fisher was hired. It was a tough build but he has done a unbelievable job. I still find it comical that fans will still critize Fish. 

I vividly recall that about five years ago, one of Fisher's worst critics here was Rosegreen. The guy said a number of times that Fish's success was only temporary and that within a couple years UNLV would be dominating SDSU just like the good old days. When's the Troll Derby again?

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

I said the same on one of the many related threads. Watching the meeting, that Reno guy from exudes the kind of arrogance that makes people hate lawyers.

Boom goes the dynamite.

This whole thing is hilarious. Former players Wink Adams and Ty Nesby hit twitter and are excited about the hire and want to help. It's pretty much unanimous with the former players. Wink by the was very critical of the prior staff. I talked to another former player who is involved in AAU ball who wants to send a top prospect to Marvin. I should have gotten the players name but will get it. The Bozo's will be on the wrong side of history as usual. It wouldn't surprise me if Chris Jeter sends his kid home from Duke. 

38 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I vividly recall that about five years ago, one of Fisher's worst critics here was Rosegreen. The guy said a number of times that Fish's success was only temporary and that within a couple years UNLV would be dominating SDSU just like the good old days. When's the Troll Derby again?

Fish is one of the best in the business and HOF worthy IMO! What he accomplished at SDSU few can do. 

7 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

This whole thing is hilarious. Former players Wink Adams and Ty Nesby hit twitter and are excited about the hire and want to help. It's pretty much unanimous with the former players. Wink by the was very critical of the prior staff. I talked to another former player who is involved in AAU ball who wants to send a top prospect to Marvin. I should have gotten the players name but will get it. The Bozo's will be on the wrong side of history as usual. It wouldn't surprise me if Chris Jeter sends his kid home from Duke. 

I think Nesby wants a job LOL.  But I'm proud that Wink has stood up for the guy.

46 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I will fully admit that I felt the same way five years ago, and was disappointed to see that Rice and company couldn't inspire or develop players nor game plan.  What a waste of promising talent, and I was flabbergasted that the program just kept landing more every year.

58 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

One other point over looked is the potential APR problem. That will immediately become a non-issue if the roster stays intact. 

It will become less of an issue, but not a non-issue.  APR is four year rolling, IIRC, and the UNLV revolving door under Rice has done some damage that will take a few years of stability to undo.

17 minutes ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

It will become less of an issue, but not a non-issue.  APR is four year rolling, IIRC, and the UNLV revolving door under Rice has done some damage that will take a few years of stability to undo.

As I posted in the other thread, Menzies also walked into a dire APR situation at NMSU. His team's APR improved nine straight years; pretty impressive. These positive results won't be missed by the BoR when they approve his contract tomorrow. 

46 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

It's a trend;  those that know basketball ( coaches, players etc) like the hire, those that think they know basketball (chat room heroes) don't.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke