Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StolenBases

Regents & Boosters are pissed

13 minutes ago, 1066 Devils Bridge said:

Not being a UNLV guy I have to say Karl would have been golden as a 2 or 3 year transitional coach. Hire an associate HC who is young and talented and give him the job in 3 years if he lives up to expectations. What exactly has Menzies done to earn or even qualify for the job at UNLV? Perhaps I am missing something here. Educate me if I am wrong. I would like to see a good defense of Menzies.

At first blush, his 5 NCAA bids, NIT bid, 26-2 conference record over the last two years. 

1 minute ago, Nevada2012 said:

At first blush, his 5 NCAA bids, NIT bid, 26-2 conference record over the last two years. 

Was not that conference record against WAC schools? But even at that I will give you 5 NCAA bids are a good thing no matter how you earn them.

I got no dog in this fight ...

yes the WAC is the WAC...

but winning is winning . He proved to be very competent at NMSU.

It seems to me he should be given a chance. And really what other realistic options do our brethren down south have ?

He seems to be qualified to take a step up to a G-5 school. 

41 minutes ago, 1066 Devils Bridge said:

Not being a UNLV guy I have to say Karl would have been golden as a 2 or 3 year transitional coach. Hire an associate HC who is young and talented and give him the job in 3 years if he lives up to expectations. What exactly has Menzies done to earn or even qualify for the job at UNLV? Perhaps I am missing something here. Educate me if I am wrong. I would like to see a good defense of Menzies. I know he has a record of 95 wins and 75 losses OOC when at NMS. Considering who they play OOC that is not great.

i fully agree with this, and karl would bring instant credibility. tkm and/or jessup absolutely should have waited a couple of days before announcing menzies' hire, and i would be fully on board. but they didn't, and they should be fired for it. with that said, it would be terrifying to see the BOR decide who our coaches are going to be, this gives them all future power to hire on the cheap over quality (and please note i said 'future') which will be terrible in the long run. not even taking into consideration the further black eye this gives unlv. why would any future coach, knowing this might happen to them, ever consider unlv or nevada? had they not already 'hired' menzies i would agree that karl would be a good 'transition'. but to pull this stunt would be insane, on several levels.

2 hours ago, 1066 Devils Bridge said:

Not being a UNLV guy I have to say Karl would have been golden as a 2 or 3 year transitional coach. Hire an associate HC who is young and talented and give him the job in 3 years if he lives up to expectations. What exactly has Menzies done to earn or even qualify for the job at UNLV? Perhaps I am missing something here. Educate me if I am wrong. I would like to see a good defense of Menzies. I know he has a record of 95 wins and 75 losses OOC when at NMS. Considering who they play OOC that is not great.

In his third season, Menzies was 11 seconds and a lane violation away from beating MSU first round and basically being out of UNLV's price range and having Underwood like hype. 

11 hours ago, npliam said:

It isn't just that.  Why was he fired from so many NBA jobs if he is supposedly "one of the best coaches in NBA history"  The guy is a dick.  Plain and simple.  He got fired coming off a 57 win season once.  Why would a team do that? 

Are you talking about the Nuggets?

It's because their ownership was crazy and thought the Nuggets should have been able to get over the hump in the western conference with their mediocre to decent roster. 

13 hours ago, StolenBases said:

That is true but word is they may go out on a limb.  Ultimately who pays the bills, if you lose your big boosters UNLV is done.

Seems to me the best thing that could happen to UNLV would be to lose a few big bucks boosters whose heads are stuck well up their asses.

BTW, just where did you get the idea members of the BOR are pissed?

Boom goes the dynamite.

8 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

you're missing my point...it SHOULD absolutely be done. rejecting the contract would be far worse for unlv than hiring MM, who can eventually be replaced if need be. yes, you would lose a couple of more years, which, yes, is very bad, but you can't erase the stigma that will be attached to unlv (and unr) if this happens. this has much worse ramifications, and will make us even more toxic than we already are considered. you better hope karl lives forever, but what's to say that if the BOR rejects Menzies's contract, and without that said i's dotted, t's crossed contract already signed, that karl doesn't say, 'yeah, jk, i want $3-4 mill' because he would certainly have us over a barrel.

Unless it's discovered before then that Menzies has been beating his wife or some such thing, the vote on him is going to be unanimous. (Well, maybe the asshat middle aged pretty boy whose father played football at UNR might cast a no vote.)

Just gotta say props to Menzies. Maybe he is desperate to get out of Las Cruces. However, he basically has a lifetime gig there whereas after all the mess of the last several months, he's going to be under tremendous pressure at UNLV. And since I'm talking about Marvin, it's occurred to me that when he worked at SDSU for Steve Fisher, the man was a tremendous recruiter. Don't anybody try to compare SDSU's recruiting class then with those of the last half dozen years. Back then, SDSU still hadn't won a post-season basketball game since moving up to Division I yet Marvin was instrumental in creating the transfer system that has served SDSU very well over the years and the venom he's received from so many Rebels here is highly unfair to the man.

Boom goes the dynamite.

6 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Unless it's discovered before then that Menzies has been beating his wife or some such thing, the vote on him is going to be unanimous. (Well, maybe the asshat middle aged pretty boy whose father played football at UNR might cast a no vote.)

Just gotta say props to Menzies. Maybe he is desperate to get out of Las Cruces. However, he basically has a lifetime gig there whereas after all the mess of the last several months, he's going to be under tremendous pressure at UNLV. And since I'm talking about Marvin, it's occurred to me that when he worked at SDSU for Steve Fisher, the man was a tremendous recruiter. Don't anybody try to compare SDSU's recruiting class then with those of the last half dozen years. Back then, SDSU still hadn't won a post-season basketball game since moving up to Division I yet Marvin was instrumental in creating the transfer system that has served SDSU very well over the years and the venom he's received from so many Rebels here is highly unfair to the man.

Marvin was never high on my list to become head coach but, I won't crap on him like some.  The man interviewed for a job he wants and I have to believe he wants to do his best at UNLV.  He, like any of us, wants to improve himself financially and to provide a better financial future for his family.  I direct my anger at our Administration and in no way fault Marvin for his desire to be our head coach.  

I hope the BOR approves the hire based on his contract and not embarrass themselves and our state by telling Nevada universities who we should or should not hire.

14 hours ago, Headbutt said:

If the $500K rumors are correct (if), then I think passing over a coach that would have sold tickets and at worst was about equal as a coach to the guy they got was a big mistake.  Karl brought a name and an NBA resume, Menzies can't compete with that.  Especially in Vegas where image matters.

However, that's up to the AD and the Prez, whether it's a terrible decision or a great decision.  The regents have a responsibility to approve/disapprove of a contract for a coach, regardless of who is chosen.  Names and reputation aside.  They are not a search committee, they oversee finances.  If they're uncomfortable with the choice, then they need to take a hard look at things like the buyout, but they are not there to pick the coach.  That would be ridiculous.

Whether rejecting the contract is a good idea or not, you brought up a legitimate financial argument for why they could reject it.

Discussed in the last BOR meeting was loss of revenue at the box office, and the financial challenges that creates for our athletics department. The President mentioned several times that men's basketball is the "flagship" program at our school.

Like it or not, basketball has always been crucial in paying the bills & the revenue we count on with basketball has been down for a few years.

So, if enough people have threatened to pull their donations, not renew their season tickets, etc., the BOR has a fiscal responsibility to listen.

I agree that rejecting the contract would further add to our embarrassment. You'd have to be awfully sure that Karl would take the job if you did or you may end up with a lesser coach than Menzies.

With that said, regardless, the administration has to go & in that case, Menzies would effectively become a lame duck anyway.

It's a no-win situation no matter how you look at it.

The only person I feel bad for is Menzies. The rest have made their own beds, and that goes for some members of the booster club as well who've helped bring us Rice & Menzies back to back.

2 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Seems to me the best thing that could happen to UNLV would be to lose a few big bucks boosters whose heads are stuck well up their asses.

BTW, just where did you get the idea members of the BOR are pissed?

Remember a lot of these big $$ UNLV boosters are only boosters for their own gratification...........most never step foot on campus unless it's for a UNLV BB game, most aren't alumni and most of their kids didn't go to UNLV either.............there are no deep ties to UNLV other than glad handing the basketball program so they can play big shot and be insiders..............they are boosters because their deep pockets allow them to sooth their ego's by being players in matters concerning UNLV baskeball, and this is what creates the various factions of who wants what.

9 hours ago, Nevada2012 said:

Zero wins versus top 25, 19-61 versus top 100 kenpom teams, 3-15 vs New Mexico.  Lost to Barstow U in the finals. 

Never been a serious candidate anywhere in the last few years with openings. 

No thanks. 

1 hour ago, PrimeReb said:

Aztec fans I have a question for you guys? Wasn't MM instrumental in landing your first and maybe only McDonald's AA? I forget the kids name but I remember him blowing out his knee.  

when he landed him the aztecs had gone 5-23 the year before. it was not easy to recruit to sdsu at that time.

20 hours ago, StolenBases said:

That is true but word is they may go out on a limb.  Ultimately who pays the bills, if you lose your big boosters UNLV is done.

Oh Newbie,you're so full of shit. I'll bet you a one week posting ban that Menzies gets approved by a wider margin than Beard. What do you say? Step on up.

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/burns_evan00.html

Major stud physically but he had a lot of issues psychologically. And yes, Menzies was very involved in his agreeing to come to SDSU.

UNLV is nowhere near the mess SDSU was in those days. Get a Mickey D's AA for even one year and other guys flow from there. When we shocked the conference to win the UNLV invitational in 2002, Aerick Sanders' parents sat near me and my posse, such as it was. I spoke to them as Marshall Faulk and others watched the scene on the floor of the TM (the drunken POS from Wyo who asked my buddies to watch his toddler while he went outside to kick my ass - allegedly - after we upset his regular season winning team to win the tourney was nowhere in sight). Aerick didn't get off the bench that season but he became a major contributor later and his folks told me that among the reasons their son picked SDSU was Marvin Menzies.

God bless you, Marvin. Here's hoping you make the UNLV detractors eat dog poop.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, PrimeReb said:

Aztec fans I have a question for you guys? Wasn't MM instrumental in landing your first and maybe only McDonald's AA? I forget the kids name but I remember him blowing out his knee.  

Evan Burns. 

As I recall, he had a vision problem;  couldn't see going to class.

Those were some dark days.  The staff was turning over every rock trying to find anyone with even a semblance of a D1 game/body.  We had some games against some top tier D1 squads back then and we looked like a small school HS squad when compared against their athletes. Fun times....

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

16 hours ago, StolenBases said:

Who cares then, might as well go the step further and get Karl.  Of course there wasn't a signed contract in one conversation.  He's not going to sign over the phone lol.  The two morons needed to take a minute, have him fly to Vegas and then talk turkey.  Instead they panicked and went with Menzies.  What the hell would have an extra day or two (over a weekend, during a dead spot in recruiting) matter at this point?  If you have a chance, any chance at all to sign a HOF Coach, you at least spend a day or two looking into it a little, they owe that much to Rebel fans and boosters the crap they've put us through, don't 'cha think?

Where did you come from? Oh, I think your nuts too!