Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just_chris

UNLV coaching search

If nevada southern does end up looking for another basketball HC and that looks like it may be announced today. Why not Dan Monson, he looks like a better fit at Vegas, I have never heard his name mentioned and he's in my opinion a good coach.  Plus he is coaching where Tark coached at Long Beach State before moving to nevada southern, maybe it's time to retrace that route. Marvin Menzies may be a good coach, but doesn't look like he has the ability to sell out T&M.

So I was thinking about this and it has me wondering, is there any conceivable way that TKM and Jessup could force him to stay? I know there is no precedent for it but can they force him to honor his contract? I get that it probably is bad business to force a guy who wants to be someplace else to stay but TKM strikes me as that type of person who would be vindictive if she could. 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

2 minutes ago, just_chris said:

So I was thinking about this and it has me wondering, is there any conceivable way that TKM and Jessup could force him to stay? I know there is no precedent for it but can they force him to honor his contract? I get that it probably is bad business to force a guy who wants to be someplace else to stay but TKM strikes me as that type of person who would be vindictive if she could. 

Man I hope that doesn't happen.  I don't want a coach who doesn't want to be here.  There is a reason salesmen are walked out the door the day they try to give notice....

2 minutes ago, TheyCrawlinAgain said:

Man I hope that doesn't happen.  I don't want a coach who doesn't want to be here.  There is a reason salesmen are walked out the door the day they try to give notice....

I'm just thinking the circus could add a ring of fire if she did it. 

2 hours ago, bigd said:

I just don't see slightly below average on his resume. NMSU won 6 games the year he was hired, and he got them to the NCAA tournament in his second season. He was fired by the Kings a few games into 2009, and they still have yet to even come within five wins of his 38-win season in 2008. The Kings are simply a coaching graveyard. Musselman was also fired by the Kings, and he's worked out well so far for Nevada.

He has struggled at CSUN, but he'll turn that around this year.

Lavin would be a good hire, but I think Theus would be best long-term. I'm not a UNLV fan, or biased in anyway. I just think he would be their best option. He would definitely add to the rivalry...

I have seen a few Lavin coached games on TV but only 1 in person. I was in NYC on business and had the opportunity to go to MSG against G-town. His team passed the ball around the perimeter the entire game looking to pass it to one of the big men. Generally they were unable to do so and ended up taking 20 to 25 foot shots and missing a great deal of them. His defense was labored but not awful. SJU just did not look good. Lavin did beat Duke once in MSG I believe, I remember seeing it on TV but whilst his record is not horrible it has been nothing outstanding except for his years at UCLA. Excepting the last year of course.

If you want a coach with major school experience you might try him but his days of being good seem to be well behind him. Besides after the string of coach/hire/failures at UNLV why do you think he is chomping at the bit for UNLV?

I don't know his age off hand but he must be near 60. Right now you are in a position where you must hire anyone who accepts.

As to Theus a losing season in the NBA and very little in CBB are not much in the way of recommendations. I sounds as if UNLV fans are becoming desperate. Apparently you wanted Pitino, Dixon, Cronin (all of them good and proven coaches) and then settled for Beard who had a record of job hopping every year or two. He continued his record in Vegas except increased his jumps to 5 days. UNLV deserves and I hope can get better than Theus and Lavin.  IF THEUS AND LAVIN WERE SO GOOD THEY WOULD BE COACHING AT MAJOR SCHOOLS NOW (Northridge is not major or even mid major.) As we both know they are not.

1 hour ago, westfan said:

If nevada southern does end up looking for another basketball HC and that looks like it may be announced today. Why not Dan Monson, he looks like a better fit at Vegas, I have never heard his name mentioned and he's in my opinion a good coach.  Plus he is coaching where Tark coached at Long Beach State before moving to nevada southern, maybe it's time to retrace that route. Marvin Menzies may be a good coach, but doesn't look like he has the ability to sell out T&M.

Monson built the zags.  Few was his assistant.  did a decent job at  rebuilding Minn. too.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

40 minutes ago, just_chris said:

As far as I know there is nothing they can do to force him to honor his contract. Once TKM gave Tech permission to talk to Beard it's basically over at that point. Technically he will be "honoring" his contract by paying the $1 mil buyout. But they can't do anything. 

6 minutes ago, BleedRed702 said:

As far as I know there is nothing they can do to force him to honor his contract. Once TKM gave Tech permission to talk to Beard it's basically over at that point. Technically he will be "honoring" his contract by paying the $1 mil buyout. But they can't do anything. 

That's what I figured but could only have made the inevitable train wreck even more cringe worthy

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

Monson built the zags.  Few was his assistant.  did a decent job at  rebuilding Minn. too.

It could be he's too pricey, I seem to remember reading somewhere he gets paid a percentage of the road trip guarantees to play P5 schools.

Rice nut huggers and now Augmon nut huggers tweeting that it's going to be official in a few minutes but Beard has officially accepted the job at Texas Tech

8 minutes ago, westfan said:

It could be he's too pricey, I seem to remember reading somewhere he gets paid a percentage of the road trip guarantees to play P5 schools.

Seems like UNLV can compete

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ncaa-coach-contract-20150124-story.html

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

Guest RoscoesDad
2 minutes ago, just_chris said:

Rice nut huggers and now Augmon nut huggers tweeting that it's going to be official in a few minutes but Beard has officially accepted the job at Texas Tech

I am more disappointed in our fan base than I am in Beard leaving. 

3 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

I am more disappointed in our fan base than I am in Beard leaving. 

Just out of curiosity,how so?

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky

Seeing reports that UNLV could turn back to Menzies makes me queasy.

Now more than ever UNLV needs to get this hire right. Next year was already going to be difficult recruiting-wise. In my view, the following class is more crucial.

If the search lasts another 1-2 weeks and gives me heartburn, that's the least of UNLV's worries.

Just take your time now, and make sure you hire the right coach. Dont worry about next season.

"Make like a tree and scram" - Rosegreen

Your administration is the reason why our basketball league is bleeding out currently. If you didn't insist on San Jose being in the MWC, so you guys would have someone that votes similar to SDSU, every team in the MWC wouldn't have to play 2 games vs. a team with a 330 RPI ranking EVERY season.

You guys are as stupid as you are desperate.   - Cowboy Junky