Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

3 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Kids gonna be a stud. No rankings for that class yet, but he claims top 10 on his profile it's probably believable. Trying to remember a player in Vegas who is putting up numbers like this so early...

Troy Brown of Centennial did four years ago.  When the national rankings of that class came out he was #1 and was being compared to Penny Hardaway.

13 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Troy Brown of Centennial did four years ago.  When the national rankings of that class came out he was #1 and was being compared to Penny Hardaway.

I knew it was either him or Ray Smith. Couldn't remember which.

Safe to say Hardy is gonna be a force wherever he goes. Nice to be on him early. It will be that much easier for him if we start winning and making some tourney runs.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

On 12/9/2017 at 1:24 PM, BestintheWest said:

I knew it was either him or Ray Smith. Couldn't remember which.

Safe to say Hardy is gonna be a force wherever he goes. Nice to be on him early. It will be that much easier for him if we start winning and making some tourney runs.

Ray Smith was from Las Vegas HS - Went to Arizona and blew out a knee - I think. His career at a high level might be over

4 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Ray Smith was from Las Vegas HS - Went to Arizona and blew out a knee - I think. His career at a high level might be over

Yeah I know that. Just don't remember if he was putting up those big numbers as a freshman there.

Sad story about him though. He's handling it damn well.

11 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

Yeah I know that. Just don't remember if he was putting up those big numbers as a freshman there.

Sad story about him though. He's handling it damn well.

I'm not sure Smith got much of a chance to do much - I thought he got injured early in the season and was pretty much done - Found this from CBS Sports which makes it sound like he barely got much court time with 3 ACL injuries in 30 months :o :(

A bleak college basketball story popped up Thursday afternoon when a 19-year-old former five-star recruit with NBA potential announced his retirement from basketball.

Seeing someone who's not yet of legal drinking age decide to give up hoops is rare, to put it lightly, but Ray Smith's journey to his decision is just as uncommon. Smith, ranked 19th the class of 2015, suffered three ACL injuries in the past 30 months. It's all too much, and the latest setback -- which came during Arizona's Tuesday night exhibition game -- is prompting Smith to alter the course of his life.

18 minutes ago, you444 said:

So there's a new rumor that Brian Bowen might be coming here.... Obviously a sticky situation from the whole Louisville fiasco, but would be a monumental get for us! Thoughts?

Where did you see that? I would be okay with it since he was cleared by the FBI. However, do we have a spot currently available?

Nonsense by geniuses is still nonsense.

27 minutes ago, you444 said:

So there's a new rumor that Brian Bowen might be coming here.... Obviously a sticky situation from the whole Louisville fiasco, but would be a monumental get for us! Thoughts?

i guarantee you that whatever school he ends up at will be the cleanest program ever, lol, and it looks like menzies is confident enough to bring him on.

7 minutes ago, k3swoosh said:

Where did you see that? I would be okay with it since he was cleared by the FBI. However, do we have a spot currently available?

Jeffrey Waddilove‏ @JeffWaddilove 1h1 hour ago

Who wants a recruiting scoop?

Matt F‏ @TheHat503 29m29 minutes ago

Replying to @JeffWaddilove

Really? Is it worth it with the Rebs "reputation," to take on this type of drama?

Jeffrey Waddilove‏ @JeffWaddilove 27m27 minutes ago

Yes. I trust Menzies implicitly.

and according to one guy on that thread bowen apparently started following our rebs..

DQ0wUvLUEAA-_in.jpg

16 hours ago, you444 said:

My gut reaction is that I don't want to deal with the headache. A few people have said he was cleared by the FBI and the NCAA, but I've only heard he was cleared by the FBI.  In this story from a few weeks ago, his lawyer said he is still working through the NCAA process to determine if he will be able to play in college.  If he can't play all of this is a moot point.  If he does get cleared, I would still be concerned about the NCAA nosing around.  The flip side is, as @4UNLV pointed out, Menzies must be supremely confident the NCAA isn't going to find any skeletons in the closet if they come snooping around.

14 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

My gut reaction is that I don't want to deal with the headache. A few people have said he was cleared by the FBI and the NCAA, but I've only heard he was cleared by the FBI.  In this story from a few weeks ago, his lawyer said he is still working through the NCAA process to determine if he will be able to play in college.  If he can't play all of this is a moot point.  If he does get cleared, I would still be concerned about the NCAA nosing around.  The flip side is, as @4UNLV pointed out, Menzies must be supremely confident the NCAA isn't going to find any skeletons in the closet if they come snooping around.

Somewhere along the way I remember hearing that they determined that he didn’t have a clue that his parents were shopping him out, but I have no idea how much truth there is to that. 

Just now, 4UNLV said:

Somewhere along the way I remember hearing that they determined that he didn’t have a clue that his parents were shopping him out, but I have no idea how much truth there is to that. 

I am highly skeptical of that claim.  And, even if it is true, the NCAA can't accept that excuse because anytime anything like this came up in the future the kid would simply plead ignorance.  You can't treat the parents as distinct and separate from the kid or else it will lead to all sorts of shenanigans.

6 minutes ago, HoosierRebel said:

I am highly skeptical of that claim.  And, even if it is true, the NCAA can't accept that excuse because anytime anything like this came up in the future the kid would simply plead ignorance.  You can't treat the parents as distinct and separate from the kid or else it will lead to all sorts of shenanigans.

Yes, and just so I’m clear, I’m not sure he’s worth the added attention, my point earlier was that I was glad to see that Menzies isn’t worried about any skeletons in UNLV’s closet, lol. 

If staff wants him and the kid wants to be here I wouldn't hate on it.

Taking in a kid like that would speak volumes on Menzies confidence at running a program and doing it the right way.

38 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Going forward this will be the cleanest kid in the NCAA. Just sayin. If the NCAA clears him. 

His parents said he didn't know anything about the money.  So, the kid says he doesn't know anything about the money.  Can't wait to see what new car he shows up to campus with when he is cleared to play.