Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

many props to mccoy, he actually took a big risk by coming here after our worst season in program history. this commitment will help pave the way for future top recruits. MM needed this one, others will follow.

9 minutes ago, Jersey Rebels said:

It is hard looking at all that talent Rice had and realizing how little he did with it. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it still hurts.

Jordan Johnson and Brandon McCoy is going to be a nightmare for any team...

This so huge for the program. McCoy has all the tools and will likely be a lottery pick next year. He's a post player 1st, but has a money mid range jumper.

The flood gates will open. You have to think.

If we land Juiston somehow...expectations will be high. That kid would fit perfect next to McCoy.

Juiston is a PF that can do it all.

17.3 ppg 61% shooting   12.1 rpb (HCC all time leading rebounder after 2 years)  4 assists per game.

One game he had 11pts, 10 reb, 10 asts, 5 steals and 5 blocks.

He led his school to win the national championship and then won MVP of the tournament. He led all players in points, assists and rebounds.

Very similar to Brandon Clarke at SJSU, but a much better passer. Just a 6'7 athlete with a ridiculous motor and does it all.

Then you tell me Hardy too?

Don't wanna set expectations too high, but that team could compete with anyone in the MWC.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

7 hours ago, HoosierRebel said:

It is hard looking at all that talent Rice had and realizing how little he did with it. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but it still hurts.

I like both coaches. I don't really look at it as one vs the other. They both put in the effort to get talented players to unlv. Something that was missing since Tark, to some extent Bayno was ok in recruiting  but looking back, I think he fell short in that area as a Cal protege. 

The players just walked all over Rice, honestly. Then some were injured, like Vaughn who was shelved for his NBA career.  Same with Zimmerman. The Maui invitational was his doom, won against a ranked Indiana team and ran UCLA off the court in the first 5-6 minutes...then it all fell apart. I also recall someone bailed the program in the middle of that tournament too. That affected the team and I think he lost the room at that point. 

Should be a vastly different culture with Menzies. 

1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

Jordan Johnson and Brandon McCoy is going to be a nightmare for any team...

This so huge for the program. McCoy has all the tools and will likely be a lottery pick next year. He's a post player 1st, but has a money mid range jumper.

The flood gates will open. You have to think.

If we land Juiston somehow...expectations will be high. That kid would fit perfect next to McCoy.

Juiston is a PF that can do it all.

17.3 ppg 61% shooting   12.1 rpb (HCC all time leading rebounder after 2 years)  4 assists per game.

One game he had 11pts, 10 reb, 10 asts, 5 steals and 5 blocks.

He led his school to win the national championship and then won MVP of the tournament. He led all players in points, assists and rebounds.

Very similar to Brandon Clarke at SJSU, but a much better passer. Just a 6'7 athlete with a ridiculous motor and does it all.

Then you tell me Hardy too?

Don't wanna set expectations too high, but that team could compete with anyone in the MWC.

Assuming he gets all the players Waddilove mentioned, Menzies will be in the national COY conversation,IMO. That's a credit to his staff too, easily one of the best recruiting staffs in the country, 

Going from an 11 win disaster of a season with D2/mid level juco talent to a 20 something plus win season with NBA talent and going to the big dance will garner unlv and Menzies a ton of coverage. 

8 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I like both coaches. I don't really look at it as one vs the other. They both put in the effort to get talented players to unlv. Something that was missing since Tark, to some extent Bayno was ok in recruiting  but looking back, I think he fell short in that area as a Cal protege. 

The players just walked all over Rice, honestly. Then some were injured, like Vaughn who was shelved for his NBA career.  Same with Zimmerman. The Maui invitational was his doom, won against a ranked Indiana team and ran UCLA off the court in the first 5-6 minutes...then it all fell apart. I also recall someone bailed the program in the middle of that tournament too. That affected the team and I think he lost the room at that point. 

Should be a vastly different culture with Menzies. 

You are absolutely right about the players walking all over Rice. Katin's dad had Rice so far under his boot that I think he was calling plays. Bennett refused to work and Rice just let it slide. Okonobo had no interest in listening to Rice and nothing ever happened. Zimmermom might as well have been given Simon's job because she was practically managing him on a game by game basis.

Anyway, I'm done with all that. I'm sure Menzies will have better control over the team. Hopefully he can manage the egos and agendas.

The fact that Menzies refused to play the highest rated player (Troy Baxter) on his 11 win roster tells me all I need to know about who is in control.  It says the players need him more than he needs them because he can just go out and recruit someone else.

43 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

The fact that Menzies refused to play the highest rated player (Troy Baxter) on his 11 win roster tells me all I need to know about who is in control.  It says the players need him more than he needs them because he can just go out and recruit someone else.

You're right on point on this one..

Just now, mundyc3 said:

You on board with the hire?

it's a trap

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?