Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sdsuphilip4

UNLV recruiting

On 4/19/2017 at 9:43 AM, PrimeReb said:

Another point on Hardy. IMO he is under rated. Here's a video and keep in mind he is only a sophomore in the tape. His skill set iand quickness with the ball is exceptional even as a sophomore  

https://youtu.be/4t-oPMdQWe4

Hardy will visit Memphis this Thursday...

mem skyline sig.jpeg

2 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Hardy will visit Memphis this Thursday...

I wouldn't get my hopes up since it is Tubby Smith we're talking about.  That tells you how bad of a recruiter he is.  He just lost on a recruit to a D2 school.  Memphis should get top 15 classes with ease.

36 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up since it is Tubby Smith we're talking about.  That tells you how bad of a recruiter he is.  He just lost on a recruit to a D2 school.  Memphis should get top 15 classes with ease.

I'm happy with his class thus far...

58fbf326527d6_tubbyclass.jpg.7df27a79975bbeed0d481776c5453230.jpg

Tubby has also shown interest in Clayton Hughes out of Jackson TN (he committed to UCF last year but had to go to Prep School)

http://247sports.com/Player/Clayton-Hughes-71802

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

I'm happy with his class thus far...

58fbf326527d6_tubbyclass.jpg.7df27a79975bbeed0d481776c5453230.jpg

Tubby has also shown interest in Clayton Hughes out of Jackson TN (he committed to UCF last year but had to go to Prep School)

http://247sports.com/Player/Clayton-Hughes-71802

Memphis can do much better recruiting wise.  The city and suburbs are loaded with high major talent.  Pissing off that Lawson dude was dumb on Tubby's part.

pimping your kids for a job is something Tubby won't tolerate.

Lawson Sr was asked on Memphis radio by Gary Parrish "if you were still an asst coach at Memphis would your kids still be playing there" his answer was "yes, of course"

then KJ saying "F**K TUBBY" on social media...that's a truly toxic situation that had to end.

while the Lawson's are talking crap, Tubby and Joe Esposito have been out recruiting a good class...Hardy and Hughes would be the perfect finishing touches. 

Tubby also just hosted East High's Alex Lomax...he's Tubby's priority #1 for 2018...Memphis is 'all in' with Lomax.

http://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Lomax-92337

http://memphis.247sports.com/Bolt/Alex-Lomax-unofficially-visits-Memphis-Tigers-52343003

Tubby met with Hardy and he's excited about visiting Memphis Thursday.

C9z8kieWAAAxC5D.jpg

mem skyline sig.jpeg

44 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

pimping your kids for a job is something Tubby won't tolerate.

Lawson Sr was asked on Memphis radio by Gary Parrish "if you were still an asst coach at Memphis would your kids still be playing there" his answer was "yes, of course"

then KJ saying "F**K TUBBY" on social media...that's a truly toxic situation that had to end.

while the Lawson's are talking crap, Tubby and Joe Esposito have been out recruiting a good class...Hardy and Hughes would be the perfect finishing touches. 

Tubby also just hosted East High's Alex Lomax...he's Tubby's priority #1 for 2018...Memphis is 'all in' with Lomax.

http://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Lomax-92337

http://memphis.247sports.com/Bolt/Alex-Lomax-unofficially-visits-Memphis-Tigers-52343003

Tubby met with Hardy and he's excited about visiting Memphis Thursday.

C9z8kieWAAAxC5D.jpg

With the players you guys lost out on to a D2 team, I read that Tubby played phone tag with the kid's coach for several weeks to try and contact him.  That's TKM status right there.

With Tubby, he will win big if he gets players.  He's won even with mediocre talent.

Saul offered the kid without Tubby's approval...Tubby nixed the deal and let the kid make it look like he turned us down...IMHO Saul should have been fired for that, demoted at least, but that's not my call to make.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Saul offered the kid without Tubby's approval...Tubby nixed the deal and let the kid make it look like he turned us down...IMHO Saul should have been fired for that, demoted at least, but that's not my call to make.

He's not going to do that to his son.  Also, I still contend that it was a mistake to not hold on to Lawson Sr.  He may not be the perfect character, but he will get you all the good Memphis players.

Rumor is Tubby's taking Hardy to game 6 Thursday to 'check out FedExForum'

I don't know if we'll get the kid but props to Tubby on that...smart move using the Grizz as a recruiting tool.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

Rumor is Tubby's taking Hardy to game 6 Thursday to 'check out FedExForum'

I don't know if we'll get the kid but props to Tubby on that...smart move using the Grizz as a recruiting tool.

That's pretty much all these top kids want to hear about right now.  Most do not seem don't give a crap about  playing for any particular school or being a piece of that school's legacy, etc. They don't grow up wanting to play for North Carolina. They dream of playing in the league and being rich. The primary thing on their mind is the quickest path possible to the NBA.  I believe Dave Rice sold that as good as anyone during his time at UNLV and that's 90% of the reason why we got the recruits we did. 

I know @4UNLV and I have been waiting for Menzies to offer Woodbury. This kid was gonna light us up if he went elsewhere.

This isn't a sympathy offer either. That kid can ball and will be a 4-year player.  He's gonna be a go-to scorer his last 2 years.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

I know @4UNLV and I have been waiting for Menzies to offer Woodbury. This kid was gonna light us up if he went elsewhere.

This isn't a sympathy offer either. That kid can ball and will be a 4-year player.  He's gonna be a go-to scorer his last 2 years.

yep... i've been waiting to hear that he was offered, if menzies waited much longer he'd be in serious trouble, lol. woodbury is already starting to blow up in the spring games and is starting to get a lot of attention. i hope he commits soon.

fun little side note, i don't know if you're following brandon mason, our director of player personnel, but we've got to keep that guy here for the next 10 years, lol. his 9 year old kid is a baller, i watched him as a ball boy this year, he'd move around the 3 point line shooting 3s. his dad has been posting some of his basketball highlights, but the best one is on april 9 when he sank a shot from the second level of the mendenhall. crazy.

14 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

yep... i've been waiting to hear that he was offered, if menzies waited much longer he'd be in serious trouble, lol. woodbury is already starting to blow up in the spring games and is starting to get a lot of attention. i hope he commits soon.

fun little side note, i don't know if you're following brandon mason, our director of player personnel, but we've got to keep that guy here for the next 10 years, lol. his 9 year old kid is a baller, i watched him as a ball boy this year, he'd move around the 3 point line shooting 3s. his dad has been posting some of his basketball highlights, but the best one is on april 9 when he sank a shot from the second level of the mendenhall. crazy.

Mason isn't even an assistant. If you get an assistant job somewhere, he's gone.Mason isn't even an assistant. If he gets an assistant job somewhere, he's gone.

6 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Mason isn't even an assistant. If you get an assistant job somewhere, he's gone.Mason isn't even an assistant. If he gets an assistant job somewhere, he's gone.

you do realize i wasn't serious, right? as i said, it was just a fun little side note, i'd seen a retweet of his kid a couple of weeks ago when he made that shot in the mendenhall and apparently he's had a good weekend. he'll be long gone before he's of age, but it will still be fun to watch his progress.