Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lester_in_reno

World War 1. 100 years ago right now

13 hours ago, Lester_in_reno said:

USA breaks diplomacy with Germany and Austria-Hungary.

February 4, 1917: We do not desire any hostile conflict with the German government

Woodrow Wilson breaks diplomatic relations with Germany. But, Wilson tells a joint session of Congress, “We do not desire any hostile conflict with the German government.” He says he “cannot bring myself to believe” that Germany intends to do what it says it will do; “I cannot bring myself to believe that they will indeed pay no regard to the ancient friendship between their people and our own... Only actual overt acts on their part can make me believe it even now.” SPOILER ALERT: Believe it, dude

No offense Lester, but you're obsessing with this WWI thread. I'm concerned about you. ;)

2 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This thread is awesome and we should all be glad Lester obsesses about it.

Relax, I was only kidding. Hence the ;) at the end of my comment above. 

meh, I follow a few history  blogs and just copy it. Shit went down and if you follow it item by item  you can see history does repeat itself.

Because people are still   people. Arrogant, short sighted, greedy or just dumb. But back then they couldn't blame the women. They were still not allowed to vote. (Imagine that?). But that will soon change.

Anyways-== Feb. 5th

President Wilson asks other neutral nations to follow him in breaking off diplomatic relations with Germany.

Guards are placed at docks, bridges, aqueducts, and the White House gates. Crews of German and Austrian steamships (31 of them) are told to stay onboard their ships (or go through Ellis Island immigration inspections), although the government denies that it has seized the ships.

Former President Taft suggests conscription begin now and be made permanent. “Conscription is needed to discipline our native young men and to teach them respect for authority. It is needed to teach our millions of newly created citizens loyalty.” He says the country will rally behind Wilson: “We are going to do everything that any country can do to vindicate its rights and show that we are a moral people and are willing to make a sacrifice to establish a moral principle.” Because nothing says “moral” like mass slaughter.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

The mascot of a Russian Expeditionary Force regiment in France. Bear Cub.

" In 1960, when Khrushchev visited Charles De Gaulle in France, Russian Defense Minister and war hero Malinovsky went along for personal reasons. He had served in that expeditionary force in France. He met French veterans and they had quite a banquet. Malinovsky told tales about the bear cub which dazzled and intrigued both Khrushchev and De Gaulle. "

cerified_Subarus.jpg

will this photo show up in the post?

T he first German man-portable flamethrower was called the Kleinflammenwerfer (small flamethrower) or "Kleif". Fuel was stored in a large vertical, cylindrical backpack container. High-pressure propellant was stored in another, smaller container attached to the fuel tank.

A long hose connected the fuel tank to a lance tube with an igniting device at the nozzle.
The igniting device at the nozzle set fire to the fuel as it sprayed out.

The flamethrower was operated by two soldiers, one carrying the fuel and propellant tanks, another wielding the lance. Wex, a replacement for the Kleif, was introduced in 1917 after the third battle of Ypres.

cerified_Subarus.jpg

in 1915. fall, Lithuania has become an important area of Germany front stretch. Kaiser's Germany began to build railways connecting Germany to the front line. The most important of these was railway East Prussia - Mitau (Jelgava , Latvia) . The construction of the railway started in August 1915

scan10006a_imagesia-com_tao5_large.jpg

It was the largest construction on the Eastern Front.
Construction work was done by two German army reserves Company, which was attributed to 2,000 POW. Germans built a huge temporary 42 m high and 670 m long wooden bridge over Dubysa river.
They nailed 1,400 poles in the soil , the mere of wood 7,000 cu. m. used for the construction .
The bridge received the the name of Field Marshal Hindenburg .

hindenburgo-vardo-tiltas-lyduv-nuose-api

hindenburgo-vardo-tiltas-lyduv-nuose-api

Unsteady wooden bridge construction was not safe, so in the fall of 1916 Germans started construction of a new steel bridge on concrete supports at a distance of 20 meters .
In spring of 1918 construction of new bridge was complete , and the old wooden was shattered, but name of Field Marshal Paul von Hindenburg left .
Reinforced concrete 570-meter-long bridge had nine 62.4 m overlays.

i21-untitled6666_imagesia-com_tao6_large

On the south-western end of the bridge was monument of Paul von Hindenburg erected . It stayed there until 1932.

Below Now it looks like this

2010_imagesia-com_taob_large.jpg

cerified_Subarus.jpg

kah-f-10.jpg

Germany desperate by  March 1917. U-boats torpedoing anything seen near England now.

USA is  not happy, ---- expect war soon.

But US has a crappy, small,  army. And is  3,000 miles away and  and no big guns.

Germany knows this.

--- BUT... the US does have plenty of  food and ammo for the Allies.

cerified_Subarus.jpg