Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ClevelandBrown

Anyone have video of the BSU v CSU game from last night?

I want to analyze what happened BEFORE Webb in bounded the ball.

CSU had the ball with seconds remaining when they committed a over and back violation. The ball was lost after the violation occurred in which Webb grabbed the ball to try and make a last second shot. However, before Webb could take the shot, the whistle was finally called for the half-courtt violation, in which there was .8 remaining on the clock. If the whistle had been called WHEN the over and back actually occurred, there would have been at least 1.3 seconds left on the clock. So not only did JW3 get the shot off in under .8 seconds anyways, there should have been an additional .4 or .5 seconds to spare. 

Anyways, I'm hoping someone recorded it to show what I'm talking about.

I think, therefore I'm.

Are you sure it's a backcourt violation if there is never control established in the forecourt?  That's another question worth asking. The worst part of it was that the officials took so much time to discuss it that Boise got a free timeout when Rice had already used their last one earlier.  Just another moment in a series of horrible decisions that crew made last night.

11 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I want to analyze what happened BEFORE Webb in bounded the ball.

CSU had the ball with seconds remaining when they committed a over and back violation. The ball was lost after the violation occurred in which Webb grabbed the ball to try and make a last second shot. However, before Webb could take the shot, the whistle was finally called for the half-courtt violation, in which there was .8 remaining on the clock. If the whistle had been called WHEN the over and back actually occurred, there would have been at least 1.3 seconds left on the clock. So not only did JW3 get the shot off in under .8 seconds anyways, there should have been an additional .4 or .5 seconds to spare. 

Anyways, I'm hoping someone recorded it to show what I'm talking about.

ESPN 3 has a full replay of the game.  Or Watch ESPN (I think).

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Are you sure it's a backcourt violation if there is never control established in the forecourt?  That's another question worth asking. The worst part of it was that the officials took so much time to discuss it that Boise got a free timeout when Rice had already used their last one earlier.  Just another moment in a series of horrible decisions that crew made last night.

I think it was. CSU shot a three and missed. A BSU player never touched the ball. CSU player couldn't control the ball and touched it in the backcourt. I believe, since BSU never touched it, CSU never lost possession. 

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

What Carpen said. CSU had possession. At the very least the CSU touched the ball before committing the half-court violation.

I think, therefore I'm.

1 hour ago, ClevelandBrown said:

What Carpen said. CSU had possession. At the very least the CSU touched the ball before committing the half-court violation.

1 hour ago, ClevelandBrown said:

There was no control of the ball established.  Mere touching does not mean control.  A back tap of an offensive rebound can go into the backcourt with no violation.  A loose ball after a shot can go into the backcourt and be recovered without loss of possession.  Tom O'Neill had to decide that John Gillon had established possession in order to rule a backcourt violation.  That would have to be viewed as a questionable  decision given what I saw.

58 minutes ago, Swoll Cracker said:

There was no control of the ball established.  Mere touching does not mean control.  A back tap of an offensive rebound can go into the backcourt with no violation.  A loose ball after a shot can go into the backcourt and be recovered without loss of possession.  Tom O'Neill had to decide that John Gillon had established possession in order to rule a backcourt violation.  That would have to be viewed as a questionable  decision given what I saw.

I was wrong. Control ends on shot, so referees had to have determined CSU controlled it before it went into the backcourt. 

In regards to the back tap example you gave, that can be over and back. Some seats are controlled enough to reasonably say possession was established. Though, this is unimportant to the main point that is I was wrong in my previous post.