Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IanforHeisman

Dismissed BSU DB coach Brown hired by USU

I had to read that title twice. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

USU has proven to be a bottom tier MWC team this offseason. Getting coaches poached and taking fired coaches. 

USU has a very good record against fellow MW schools since joining. This is the only important place to prove what tier you are. Additionally- should you be running smack about current states of football programs as a Fresno fan? Or are you saying USU is bad but Fresno is worse? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

15 hours ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

That's your story and you're sticking to it. 

All I know is I have never seen a position coach become the focus of so much ire in post game call-in shows in all my life. Weber was the story for 2+ seasons now.

As for our hiring of Julius Brown from BSU, I have to believe this came at the recommendation of Harsin since he and Wells are close. The general consensus among Bronco fans seems to be that their secondary struggled way too much for how much talent they had back there and someone needed to take the fall for it. Most have said they like coach Brown and they think the players do as well. Is this the general gist from Bronco fans here?

We just took him for "intel" in our annual match up. :P

I think most Aggies fans are fine with it because our long time secondary coach, Kendrick Shaver, is still on staff (promoted to co-DC) so the feeling is he will still be steering the ship. Because of that, the risk involved seems relatively low for whomever Wells chose to fill the position unlike our many other position coaching vacancies which must be filled will absolute solid, low risk type hires.

29 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

All I know is I have never seen a position coach become the focus of so much ire in post game call-in shows in all my life. Weber was the story for 2+ seasons now.

As for our hiring of Julius Brown from BSU, I have to believe this came at the recommendation of Harsin since he and Wells are close. The general consensus among Bronco fans seems to be that their secondary struggled way too much for how much talent they had back there and someone needed to take the fall for it. Most have said they like coach Brown and they think the players do as well. Is this the general gist from Bronco fans here?

Word is he and Yates did not work well together.  Good recruiter, likeable enough.

18 hours ago, FalesGoesB4Carr said:

USU has proven to be a bottom tier MWC team this offseason. Getting coaches poached and taking fired coaches. 

I guess it's better to be perceived as bottom tier than to actually be bottom tier.  You didn't 'poach' any of our coaches.  Go read our board for the past 3 years about Weber.  Go read BYU's for the past several before that about Weber.  He was told to answer his phone this off-season, and you guys were dumb enough to call.  Our fans celebrated his departure like we'd just hired Nick Saban or something.  Pages of posts.  Good luck with him and remind me how the game went at your place last year and come back and tell me who's bottom tier.  Thanks for taking him off our hands.  The money we saved by not buying out his contract will be used to further cement our status as a better program.

I haven't seen any problems with BSU cornerback's technique in the years Brown has coached them, and I played the position in college.  Defensive breakdowns fall on the coordinator more than the position coach.  It's a lot different than offense.  All I care about is he is a good recruiter, because we still have the guy that put several DB's into the NFL on staff.

3 minutes ago, Ahbye said:

I haven't seen any problems with BSU cornerback's technique in the years Brown has coached them, and I played the position in college.  Defensive breakdowns fall on the coordinator more than the position coach.  It's a lot different than offense.  All I care about is he is a good recruiter, because we still have the guy that put several DB's into the NFL on staff.

3 minutes ago, Ahbye said:

It sounds like a very similar position to what he was at here in Boise.  Yates was the DB guru who recruited and coached a gaudy number of NFL players.  For whatever reason there was a disconnect, if he works together better with your DC he should do alright. 

1 hour ago, Ahbye said:

I guess it's better to be perceived as bottom tier than to actually be bottom tier.  You didn't 'poach' any of our coaches.  Go read our board for the past 3 years about Weber.  Go read BYU's for the past several before that about Weber.  He was told to answer his phone this off-season, and you guys were dumb enough to call.  Our fans celebrated his departure like we'd just hired Nick Saban or something.  Pages of posts.  Good luck with him and remind me how the game went at your place last year and come back and tell me who's bottom tier.  Thanks for taking him off our hands.  The money we saved by not buying out his contract will be used to further cement our status as a better program.

Dave Ungerer, little guy. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

Defensive coaching is really about 4 things.

1. Solid scheme / game plan.

2. Pre-snap reads / play calls

3. Proper positioning /alignment before the play.

4. In-play execution.

At least half of that falls on the DC as much as the DB position coach.  It is interesting that BSU's DC, Yates got pulled away by a P5 school, while the DB coach, Juice, was made to walk the plank.  

I believe that Juice was made to fall on his sword so Harsin could save face..  At USU, he'll be working with Kendrick Shaver, who has done a great job and has put several guys in The League.

I believe Julius Brown will have a positive and productive career at Utah State.

On 2/12/2016 at 6:50 PM, easybronc said:

Stop going through our garbage!

Yeah, our CBs were fine but the safeties blew a LOT of assignments. 

Which is why we gave him the demotion Harsin didn't want to make.  He'll only coach DB's here.  I think we were safe making this pickup, because even if he blows it as a coach, his recruiting will more than make up for it, and Shaver can fill any holes in the coaching.