Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willden4UNLV

Just a Few Reasons To Believe That Pitino Could End Up in Vegas

Its been an interesting story line to follow since Matt Youmans broke the story over a month ago. And today it seems even more possible than it did just a few weeks ago. Here are a few reasons not to disregard the story that you may or may not have heard recently. I'll assume you're familiar with the basics of the Youmans story and skip to some interesting tid bits.

1.  Pitino is selling his Florida home. But guess what, did you know he actually has 2? And yes, they are now both on the market. * They were listed within days of eachother.

2. Louisville AD, Jurich, contact about the open AD position at USC. Jurich and Pitino are close and if Jurich left , Pitino would be much more likely to leave himself.

3. Listened to a recent SI interview with Pitino. He gives an interesting response to a question about his future at Louisville. He said more or less that Louisvilles future is bright and that his own is irrelevant. He also said in a separate occasion that if the time came that Louisville would be better off without him, he would leave.

4. And this is not so concrete as the others, but I continue to hear from a lot of Louisville commentators that his tenure is over at Louisville.

Overall, the fact that his people have reached out to people at UNLV and initiated talks suggests that the possibility is there. And circumstances around the program, including the post season ban increasingly seem to suggest to me that the likelyhood of this happening seems to be increasing as well. 

The season is over in a month and we will know what if anything comes out of this.  Interesting that Jurich has been contacted about the USC position.  Pitino won't stay without him there imo.  What would be the point since the buffer between him and the president will be gone.

48 minutes ago, Willden4UNLV said:

Its been an interesting story line to follow since Matt Youmans broke the story over a month ago. And today it seems even more possible than it did just a few weeks ago. Here are a few reasons not to disregard the story that you may or may not have heard recently. I'll assume you're familiar with the basics of the Youmans story and skip to some interesting tid bits.

1.  Pitino is selling his Florida home. But guess what, did you know he actually has 2? And yes, they are now both on the market.

2. Louisville AD, Jurich, contact about the open AD position at USC. Jurich and Pitino are close and if Jurich left , Pitino would be much more likely to leave himself.

3. Listened to a recent SI interview with Pitino. He gives an interesting response to a question about his future at Louisville. He said more or less that Louisvilles future is bright and that his own is irrelevant. He also said in a separate occasion that if the time came that Louisville would be better off without him, he would leave.

4. And this is not so concrete as the others, but I continue to hear from a lot of Louisville commentators that his tenure is over at Louisville.

Overall, the fact that his people have reached out to people at UNLV and initiated talks suggests that the possibility is there. And circumstances around the program, including the post season ban increasingly seem to suggest to me that the likelyhood of this happening seems to be increasing as well.

I have followed the Pitino to Las Vegas story and you are correct on all points as far as what is in the public realm. I will add that there is more to it that has not reached the web or media. Also, Matt Youmans is a legit reporter with reliable sources. What is out there is only the tip of the ice berg. Lets see how it develops.

1 minute ago, PrimeReb said:

I have followed the Pitino to Las Vegas story and you are correct on all points as far as what is in the public realm. I add that there is more to it that has not reached the web or media. Also, Matt Youmans is a legit reporter that with reliable sources. What is out there is only the tip of the ice berg. Lets see how it develops.

That's intriguing. What else have you heard?

ill add here that another interesting aspect of this whole situation is the fact that #17 ESPN Rawle Alkins is currently on an official to UNLV, without a head coach.... 

After listening to an interview with him a couple days ago and following this story I'm starting to believe it. He's going to coach somewhere, he's already rich and it's not going to be mostly about the money but the right fit. Tark 2 is my thoughts.

1 minute ago, Willden4UNLV said:

That's intriguing. What else have you heard?

ill add here that another interesting aspect of this whole situation is the fact that #17 ESPN Rawle Alkins is currently on an official to UNLV, without a head coach....

I don't want to be coy or sound like I have information and are with holding it on purpose to be that guy! Not my style at all. But I do keep confidences and will just add this to your observations. You have good instincts. Also, there is the recent Mike and Mike interview and notwithstanding public comments by Dick Vitale or his son, Pitino has never publicly denied contact with UNLV. It will be interesting to see what happens.

2 minutes ago, PrimeReb said:

I don't want to be coy or sound like I have information and are with holding it on purpose to be that guy! Not my style at all. But I do keep confidences and will just add this to your observations. You have good instincts. Also, there is the recent Mike and Mike interview and notwithstanding public comments by Dick Vitale or his son, Pitino has never publicly denied contact with UNLV. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Yes, certainly. I think at this point there is no doubt that there has been at least contact.

1 hour ago, Willden4UNLV said:

1.  Pitino is selling his Florida home. But guess what, did you know he actually has 2? And yes, they are now both on the market. * They were listed within days of eachother.

You forgot:

Slimy Town  +  Slimy Coach  =  GREAT FIT

Word is Pitino will be out of Louisville.

They're wanting change and Archie Miller.

The more time goes by, the more I think it can happen. We'll see.

The biggest hurdle is him leaving and being cleared. I have no doubts about him interested into UNLV tho.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

12 minutes ago, BestintheWest said:

Word is Pitino will be out of Louisville.

They're wanting change and Archie Miller.

The more time goes by, the more I think it can happen. We'll see.

The biggest hurdle is him leaving and being cleared. I have no doubts about him interested into UNLV tho.

Who's word?

Just now, Willden4UNLV said:

Who's word?

*Rumor

Quite a few known Louisville followers. Heard a podcast yesterday saying it will more than likely be Pitino's final 8 games.

Just now, Willden4UNLV said:

I see. Didn't know if there was anything more solid. But yes, heard the same.

na, just "speculation."

But if there is smoke there is always fire. The smoke cloud is growing daily.

Just now, slappy said:

He will clean the house and roster.  Don't blame him.  High school teams could beat SJ. 

Na, players will stay around. Pitino knows how to lead. Something UNLV hasn't had since Anthony Marshall.

Didn't SJSU beat WYO and Fresno?

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

Na, players will stay around. Pitino knows how to lead. Something UNLV hasn't had since Anthony Marshall.

Didn't SJSU beat WYO and Fresno?

Yes our young guys lost a road game then came right back and beat the Lobos on the road. Young teams lose games, even at home. They are frustrating.   Pit should be able to get the cream of the crop to Vegas.  You think those guys on the court losing to SJ will see the court?  I hope so for my own selfish reasons but I doubt it. He runs them all out. 

Just now, slappy said:

Yes our young guys lost a road game then came right back and beat the Lobos on the road. Young teams lose games, even at home. They are frustrating.   Pit should be able to get the cream of the crop to Vegas.  You think those guys on the court losing to SJ will see the court?  I hope so for my own selfish reasons but I doubt it. He runs them all out. 

lol, we have 2 terrible newcomer seniors. 3 sophomores and 3 freshman, one being a walkon playing right now.

UNLV has less experience than even your young Wyoming team.

Why would he run them out? These are the same players that beat Oregon and Indiana. Don't be a fool.

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

lol, we have 2 terrible newcomer seniors. 3 sophomores and 3 freshman, one being a walkon playing right now.

UNLV has less experience than even your young Wyoming team.

Why would he run them out? These are the same players that beat Oregon and Indiana. Don't be a fool.

I'm sure pit is chomping at the bit to get these guys. 8th or 9th in the MW.  Yeah he can't get you better kids. 

Just now, slappy said:

I'm sure pit is chomping at the bit to get these guys. 8th or 9th in the MW.  Yeah he can't get you better kids. 

He can, but he's not going to make kids leave. Especially guys like McCaw and Jones. Poyser too. Hell even Morgan. They all have 2 or 3 years after this season and he can add whoever he wants.

Best shot blocker in the country eligible in CHris Obepka. Ben Carter should be healthy and back. Maybe Zimm is back....

One of the more reputable Card posters On the AAC board said it best - the UofL program is bigger than Rick Pitino, he won't be missed.

Either way. It would be cool if they land him. However,  I still don't buy that UNLV will come up with the $$ to get Pitino. If he becomes available.

roflbot.jpg