Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Coach Fisher takes Dave Rive to school

Thought it was a class act by Fish to have some cooked Rice in his bowl. XCDR got to spend a day on the Mesa watching the master in action.

From the link below:

"He got let go in a public situation. So did I. So I know how he feels. We reached out and said, ‘I’m sorry. Anything we can do, we’d love to do. If you’d like to come over, we’d love to have you.' You try to be the kind of person to someone that you hope someone would be for you in that moment."

Link

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 minute ago, BestintheWest said:

Maybe he'll take over when Fisher retires this summer....LOL

Ha. When I first read this I had the thought that it would be great if he joined the staff as an AC to help recruit and help Mark (Fisher) with our half-court offense.

Then I replayed the last five years of UNLV's half-court offense in my head and had the thought that it would be great if he joined the staff as an AC to help recruit.

11 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

He also spent a few days at unm, and Indiana. Good for him. Maybe he will learn. 

Despite his critical flaws as an HC, this aspect of his character is admirable and given what little I've come to know about him doesn't surprise me in the least. He'll land on his feet somewhere and be a better coach for it.

Fisher to Rice------> "Wax on, wax off young grasshopper..."          

(thought I'd combine a Karate Kid and Kung Fu tv series reference into one quote for those of you old enough to remember) 

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

Advice Yoda - I HAVE TAUGHT YOU WELL YOUNG GRASSHOPPER

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

1 minute ago, Willden4UNLV said:

Ever since Lon left UNLV and Alford left UNM it hasn't been the same for either program. You're up next SDSU. I'd be worried. When Fisher retires, you're looking at a roll of the dice with your head coach in waiting. And I don't think those situations usually end well.

I think at least some Lobo fans might take exception, as would a majority of them had they won on Saturday.

But to your point, yes, Aztec fans are extremely grateful and aware of how fortunate we are to have the continuity at the top that we've had for so many years. And yes, we're aware that time, you know, moves.

1 minute ago, Willden4UNLV said:

Ever since Lon left UNLV and Alford left UNM it hasn't been the same for either program. You're up next SDSU. I'd be worried. When Fisher retires, you're looking at a roll of the dice with your head coach in waiting. And I don't think those situations usually end well.

I'm not too worried, there is definite risk whenever Dutcher takes over but he currently has a lot of responsibility within the program. The situation between Dutcher and Neal/Rice are very different. Dutcher has worked with Fisher for a long time and has recently had a lot more responsibility put on him, It's definitely not just a random roll of the dice, it's a calculated gamble.

CDR would do great as an assistant coach/lead recruiter somewhere. His personality fits that role much better because the head coach is geared more towards the things he isn't good at, inspiring and communicating.  That said, seems some of these MWC coaches may have a tad of the guilty feeling towards CDR.  Wouldn't that be something if he found his way on the bench of one of the other MWC teams.

7 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Despite his critical flaws as an HC, this aspect of his character is admirable and given what little I've come to know about him doesn't surprise me in the least. He'll land on his feet somewhere and be a better coach for it.

i agree. he really WANTS to be a good coach...he just doesn't have it, at least not at this point. when was the last time a fired coach was able to (or would) go to other schools and watch their practices for a few days? his first coaching job should have been at a smaller school, without the profile and expectations unlv brings to the HC.

i wish the best for him.

On 2/9/2016 at 0:29 PM, sdsuphilip4 said:

I'm not too worried, there is definite risk whenever Dutcher takes over but he currently has a lot of responsibility within the program. The situation between Dutcher and Neal/Rice are very different. Dutcher has worked with Fisher for a long time and has recently had a lot more responsibility put on him, It's definitely not just a random roll of the dice, it's a calculated gamble.

You should go get somebody like Randy Bennett

The World Needs More Cowboys!