Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ernie Baer

Louisville men's basketball self imposed post season ban

4 hours ago, BestintheWest said:

He's shocked at the self imposed ban on a team that could make a deep tourney run this year. His higher ups didn't even attempt to include RP.

Also the book itself states Pitino did not know and even ruined some of their planned "events" because Pitino was near.

Nice try tho. RP comes out of this clean.

Says the woman on her back on the table.

...A MILE HIGH AND LOUDER THAN HELL...

How about this scenario:

Pitino becomes available at the end of the season

UNLV supporters go gaga

Pitino to UNLV is a done deal

UCLA fires Alford

Rick Pitino accepts the UCLA job

UNLV hires another "up and coming assistant" as a new coach

UNLV starts seriously thinking about using the T&M site to expand the campus, the Cox Pavilion is the new venue of the basketball program

Whether Pitino knew about the scandal or not, he's ultimately the captain of the ship, and should be at least partially held accountable.  That's one of the reasons the HC's make the big bucks, to oversee the program and take the fall if disaster strikes.  It's sad that Pitino will likely escape with no big punishment, while the current players, many of whom had nothing to do with the scandal, have to bear the brunt of the punishment.  This is one of the things I think needs to be changed the most in NCAA sports.  

I'm no fan of Pitino.... he's as sleazy as they come, and i'm still bitter about the fools he made of UNLV 15 years ago (with a big assist by the immortally incompetent Harter and Cavagnaro, of course).  However, he's undoubtedly one of the absolute best in the business, and has been for a long time.  If there's any way UNLV can bring him in, i'd be wholeheartedly on board.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

12 hours ago, rebluvr said:

Lets hear who you think is a better coach than Rick Pitino?

Wasn't talking about his coaching ability. 

Pitino is a shady guy who is now dealing with his second sex-related scandal. That's going to equate to a lot of trust issues with current players & recruits parents. There is also potential that he phucks up again at UNLV. Even if he doesn't & he is innocent in this (which is very, very unlikely), RPs reputation is destroyed. 

UNLV is one of the better bball jobs in the country. You guys can go out and hire a young, intelligent, & respected coach that is good at developing talent, and willing to stay at UNLV for awhile. Is he as good of a X's and O's basketball coach as RP is currently? Probably not at this moment, but he isn't going to shine a negative light on UNLV like RP will. What's more important, immediate wins, or the integrity of your university? Hiring RP after he gets fired for his second sex-related scandal isn't a good look. 

21 minutes ago, toohandsome said:

Wasn't talking about his coaching ability. 

Pitino is a shady guy who is now dealing with his second sex-related scandal. That's going to equate to a lot of trust issues with current players & recruits parents. There is also potential that he phucks up again at UNLV. Even if he doesn't & he is innocent in this (which is very, very unlikely), RPs reputation is destroyed. 

UNLV is one of the better bball jobs in the country. You guys can go out and hire a young, intelligent, & respected coach that is good at developing talent, and willing to stay at UNLV for awhile. Is he as good of a X's and O's basketball coach as RP is currently? Probably not at this moment, but he isn't going to shine a negative light on UNLV like RP will. What's more important, immediate wins, or the integrity of your university? Hiring RP after he gets fired for his second sex-related scandal isn't a good look. 

This whole post is a combination of your personal opinion and stale presumptions. From the first sentence to the last. Please tell me where these young, intelligent, & respected coaches are that will somehow meet your squeaky clean, holy standards. Are they really lining up to be the coach at UNLV? Who would even qualify by those standards in this day and age of(corrupt) college sports?

32 minutes ago, HollyWood- said:

This whole post is a combination of your personal opinion and stale presumptions. From the first sentence to the last. Please tell me where these young, intelligent, & respected coaches are that will somehow meet your squeaky clean, holy standards. Are they really lining up to be the coach at UNLV? Who would even qualify by those standards in this day and age of(corrupt) college sports?

This is rich. 

Pitino is making ~5 million (give or take) a year @ UL. We'll assume if UNLV is willing to spend that type of money to get him, they can do so with other guys as well.. 

Here's a list off the top of my head (no order)... 

1. Gregg Marshall 

2. Larry krystkowiak 

3. Archie Miller 

4. Chris Mack 

5. Ed Cooley 

As I said before, assuming UNLV has roughly $4-5 million to spend on a coach (per year), you can significantly increase anyone of these coaches salaries. Even if you give these guys $2-4 million per year, you could increase any one of their salaries. That being said, all of these guys are realistic candidates for the UNLV job (assuming you're willing to pay them). 

I know it's hard to believe, but there are intelligent, respected, & flat out good basketball coaches who aren't shady slime balls like RP.

Maybe next time do a little research? 

18 minutes ago, toohandsome said:

This is rich. 

Pitino is making ~5 million (give or take) a year @ UL. We'll assume if UNLV is willing to spend that type of money to get him, they can do so with other guys as well.. 

1. Gregg Marshall 

2. Larry krystkowiak 

3. Archie Miller 

4. Chris Mack 

5. Ed Cooley 

As I said before, assuming UNLV has roughly $4-5 million to spend on a coach (per year), you can significantly increase anyone of these coaches salaries. Even if you give these guys $2-4 million per year, you could increase any one of their salaries. That being said, all of these guys are realistic candidates for the UNLV job (assuming you're willing to pay them). 

I know it's hard to believe, but there are intelligent, respected, & flat out good basketball coaches who aren't shady slime balls like RP.

I get your point, and I definitely don't appreciate the baggage Pitino will bring, but to be fair, none of those guys on that list has proven they can get a team to the final four or win a NC.  Pitino has done it with multiple teams.

6 minutes ago, toonkee said:

I get your point, and I definitely don't appreciate the baggage Pitino will bring, but to be fair, none of those guys on that list has proven they can get a team to the final four or win a NC.  Pitino has done it with multiple teams.

i agree.

i'm also wondering...is there a school in the mw that WOULDN'T take pitino if they could get him? i'm thinking pitino will have no problem finding another job, even if it isn't in the mw. la casey had a good point about ucla, they would snatch him up in a heartbeat, and their boosters would be plenty willing to pony up. i'd bet they've already called him.

4 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Sure, but none of those guys have been at a school where they can consistently get top 25 recruiting classes (like RP at UL or UK). If one of those guys came to UNLV, they would be able to recruit at a high level & bring in top 25 recruiting classes just about every year. As a result, they would have a good chance of making a deep run in the tournament & maybe even compete for a national championship. 

58 minutes ago, toohandsome said:

This is rich. 

1. Gregg Marshall 

2. Larry krystkowiak 

3. Archie Miller 

4. Chris Mack 

5. Ed Cooley 

Pay attention; UNLV has big money to spend only on the guys the big money boosters want. Therefore, a list like this is irrelevant. As I said before, if Pitino wants to come to UNLV the money is there because his good buddy Wynn will pony up for his salary...just like he was going to do last time. The only other guys boosters are willing to pay big for are Wright and Archie. After that it falls off quick. 

25 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

Pay attention; UNLV has big money to spend only on the guys the big money boosters want. Therefore, a list like this is irrelevant. As I said before, if Pitino wants to come to UNLV the money is there because his good buddy Wynn will pony up for his salary...just like he was going to do last time. The only other guys boosters are willing to pay big for are Wright and Archie. After that it falls off quick. 

Bingo

Some of you guys need to wake up. 

Does anyone think the BOR would approve a RP hire?  Think of the PR hit that would come if you even tried to hire a guy like that and pay him millions.  Think of the sanctions that would follow if he put one toe out of line. 

Don't forget RP would be a state employee.  The public would be paying at least part of his salary.  Most of the public doesn't give a shit about college sports. 

If he leaves The Ville, he may stay out of coaching for awhile. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

44 minutes ago, Greedy Reb said:

Pay attention: The BOR has to approve the hire and the contract. They are on the hook if the booster commits fall through. They are not likely to look favorably on a guy like RP becoming the highest paid state employee. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Pay attention: The BOR has to approve the hire and the contract. They are on the hook if the booster commits fall through. They are not likely to look favorably on a guy like RP becoming the highest paid state employee. 

You are free to your opinion, but factually you are wrong. The BOR and UNLV admin. will be more than willing to absorb the heat and some possible risk rather than continue to be nationally irrelevant like they have been for 25 years now. Boosters at schools all the time pay salaries, there are ways to secure the payment. You don't have to believe me, I am just telling you what I know. 

3 hours ago, toohandsome said:

This is rich. 

1. Gregg Marshall 

2. Larry krystkowiak 

3. Archie Miller 

4. Chris Mack 

5. Ed Cooley 

Let me lay this out for you, boosters may be willing to spend buckoo bucks for Pitino, but they will not be for any of these.