Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackrabbit

Incompetence

2 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

You realize that even the U-6 rate understates unemployment and say nothing about underemployment.

" U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force "

That pretty well covers it for me. It also reflects pretty well on the economy; we're where we were in '96/2005 which seems to be more or less the median for prosperous times. That's good. You got caught and you're too much of a ++++ to admit it. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

" U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force "

That pretty well covers it for me. It also reflects pretty well on the economy; we're where we were in '96/2005 which seems to be more or less the median for prosperous times. That's good. You got caught and you're too much of a ++++ to admit it. 

You can throw all the stats you want at him. It won't matter. People like him couldn't care less about the truth unless it supports their preconceived notions.

13 minutes ago, happycamper said:

The U-6 number goes back 5 years it is not inclusive.

Plus it says nothing about underemployed.  Which you won't even acknowledge.

You are the one not able to face the facts we are in such a tepid economy that the fed after 7 years still cannot raise its funds rate.    Year to date the S&P 500 has not made any headway.   Since the end of the QE stocks have went down.   The housing market in select places has recovered but barely.  Construction employment is still low.

fredgraphconstrution spending

Just now, bluerules009 said:

The U-6 number goes back 5 years it is not inclusive.

Plus it says nothing about underemployed.  Which you won't even acknowledge.

You are the one not able to face the facts we are in such a tepid economy that the fed after 7 years still cannot raise its funds rate.    Year to date the S&P 500 has not made any headway.   Since the end of the QE stocks have went down.   The housing market in select places has recovered but barely.  Construction employment is still low.

fredgraphconstrution spending

You define "low" as "within ten percent of the peak of the biggest construction bubble in history and about 40% higher than the valley"? Wow! Reading graphs is sure your strong suit.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

You define "low" as "within ten percent of the peak of the biggest construction bubble in history and about 40% higher than the valley"? Wow! Reading graphs is sure your strong suit.

One that isn't the biggest real estate bubble.  Your obviously 12 and have no conception of history.

Second the current number is ten percent above the biggest downturn in history.

Wow, talk about dense.

9 minutes ago, bluerules009 said:

One that isn't the biggest real estate bubble.  Your obviously 12 and have no conception of history.

Second the current number is ten percent above the biggest downturn in history.

Wow, talk about dense.

It is certainly the bubble with the most value in it.

The current number is 1.094 trillion dollars per year. https://www.census.gov/construction/c30/c30index.html

The number at the valley of the depression - February of 2011 - was 0.755 trillion dollars per year. 

(0.755-1.094)/0.755 = 44.9% higher. 

The peak at the height of the bubble was 1.213 trillion/year in March of 2006. 1.094/1.213 = 90.2%. 

These values are available here: https://www.census.gov/construction/c30/historical_data.html under "monthly" for the total spending. 

I'll jump in: Labor force participation is the lowest since the mid 70s, there has been a loss of 2 million hi paying jobs (accounting, legal) and gain of nearly 2 million service sector and restaurant jobs. Median income has decreased 6 percent from 2007. Median wealth of blacks have decreased 33 percent since 2010, 14 percent among hispanics. Housing recovery is definitely regional, it's been in the dumps in my neck of the woods for the last 3-4 years since it's a nat gas dominated economy. All at the cost of nearly 10 trillion and nearly 10 years since the Fed rate has increased. If the economy was as good as claimed, they would have raised rates long ago. Considering the low cost of gas and other commodities, consumer spending is flat at best. GDP growth decreased last month. I guess it's a half full or half empty perspective for partisans.

11 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

I'll jump in: Labor force participation is the lowest since the mid 70s, there has been a loss of 2 million hi paying jobs (accounting, legal) and gain of nearly 2 million service sector and restaurant jobs. Median income has decreased 6 percent from 2007. Median wealth of blacks have decreased 33 percent since 2010, 14 percent among hispanics. Housing recovery is definitely regional, it's been in the dumps in my neck of the woods for the last 3-4 years since it's a nat gas dominated economy. All at the cost of nearly 10 trillion and nearly 10 years since the Fed rate has increased. If the economy was as good as claimed, they would have raised rates long ago. Considering the low cost of gas and other commodities, consumer spending is flat at best. GDP growth decreased last month. I guess it's a half full or half empty perspective for partisans.

We do have less accounting and legal jobs. We're also far more productive. If a business needs 1/2 the number of accountants then it has a much lower overhead- lower prices, higher profits, the whole shebang. I can't find any link about October GDP growth being negative, only that GDP growth was slower in the 3rd quarter (which doesn't include October). Median income is down, probably because of QE. Consumer spending isn't flat; it was at 0.1% in September which was its lowest gain for many months. 

For some reason many like to act as if it's still 2008. It isn't; we've fully recovered from 2008 and are on pace for moderate growth. As I stated before we're about where we were in 2006; around the median for non-bubble times. 

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

We do have less accounting and legal jobs. We're also far more productive. If a business needs 1/2 the number of accountants then it has a much lower overhead- lower prices, higher profits, the whole shebang. I can't find any link about October GDP growth being negative, only that GDP growth was slower in the 3rd quarter (which doesn't include October). Median income is down, probably because of QE. Consumer spending isn't flat; it was at 0.1% in September which was its lowest gain for many months. 

For some reason many like to act as if it's still 2008. It isn't; we've fully recovered from 2008 and are on pace for moderate growth. As I stated before we're about where we were in 2006; around the median for non-bubble times. 

Allow me to speak from an accountant's perspective.  There are fewer and we are more productive than we were a decade ago.  The demand for accounting professionals is increasing and is predicted to continue well into the next decade.  At the same time, the number of accountants retiring in the next decade is significant.

My firm has gotten more productive and efficient more due to a lack of qualified accountants..and it's only going to get worse.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

1 minute ago, pokebball said:

Allow me to speak from an accountant's perspective.  There are fewer and we are more productive than we were a decade ago.  The demand for accounting professionals is increasing and is predicted to continue well into the next decade.  At the same time, the number of accountants retiring in the next decade is significant.

My firm has gotten more productive and efficient more due to a lack of qualified accountants..and it's only going to get worse.

All I know is with the regulatory stuff for Obamacare and my other business ventures, we can't find qualified bookkeepers accountants etc... The IRS and CMS reporting is so specific that there is a whole industry for compliance that adds tons costs and headaches since the fines are so onerous. From ACA mandated Medicare fraud abuse, HIPPA, cultural sensitivity training and monthly OIG reporting, I'm seriously thinking of not taking Medicare and Medicaid as are most private docs I know. The Industry is fertile ground for innovative accounting and legal services.

19 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Thanks. It's similar but not the same in engineering. We've been hearing about an "engineering crunch" for the past ~20 years and it hasn't really hit until lately. However between CAD, cell phones and internet, standardized products, more savvy suppliers, cell phones and internet, more explicit codes (which is good and bad), better analysis programs, and cell phones and internet engineers handle far more jobs than we used to be able to. It's good in that it makes construction cheaper and higher productivity tends to do the most good but I'm also at a loss as to what replaces those decent jobs (if there is a replacement). 

23 hours ago, son of a gun said:

Prior to Pearl Harbor and Hitler declaring war on the US, there was a lot of sympathizers for the Nazis in the US. There even some fairly large movements leading up to that.

Joseph Kennedy was a big champion of Nazi Germany, largely because he was very anti-British. The party of so-called liberalism has a long history of being on the wrong side of the same and then trying to reinvent itself.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

11 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Joseph Kennedy was a big champion of Nazi Germany, largely because he was very anti-British. The party of so-called liberalism has a long history of being on the wrong side of the same and then trying to reinvent itself.

Umm... wasn't the Republican party the party of liberalism until the '50s or so?

15 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

And clearly flat to anyone capable of independent thought.

It's also interesting how the defenders of current economic policy ignore the jump in black poverty and unemployment, while having about the same amount of rebuttal as the Fed's interest rates about the Fed's interest rates. It's one of the most fundamental indicators of economic health. It's kind of like arguing that a professional athlete in a coma is doing just fine because he's breathing on his own and has a pulse, and the team's still together without him.

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Umm... wasn't the Republican party the party of liberalism until the '50s or so?

We aren't living in the 50's or so. There's only one major party now that claims the "liberal" mantel while openly advocating thought crime and re-segregation.

24 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

We aren't living in the 50's or so. There's only one major party now that claims the "liberal" mantel while openly advocating thought crime and re-segregation.

Well... sorta. "Support the troops" and "tough on crime" was pretty thought-crimey and re-segregatey. 2005 is a long way away policy wise though. 

57 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Well... sorta. "Support the troops" and "tough on crime" was pretty thought-crimey and re-segregatey. 2005 is a long way away policy wise though. 

Don't be disingenuous. It's not the "right" that is arguing against the 1st Amendment on campuses or advocating some imaginary right to be free of ideas.

The modern Democratic party has its deepest roots in Woodrow Wilson's administration and vision for America. Those roots are directly traceable to Bismarck and Wilhelm. Watered the right way, it's statism no matter how you slice it. The great tyrants of the 20th Century were all enabled by the expansion of government, not its restraint. It was government that legitimized slavery in spite of the very notion running counter to the underpinning concepts outlined in the Founding Documents.

Government is a lot like water. Yes, we need it to survive, but too much of it is ruinous.

3 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Don't be disingenuous. It's not the "right" that is arguing against the 1st Amendment on campuses or advocating some imaginary right to be free of ideas.

The modern Democratic party has its deepest roots in Woodrow Wilson's administration and vision for America. Those roots are directly traceable to Bismarck and Wilhelm. Watered the right way, it's statism no matter how you slice it. The great tyrants of the 20th Century were all enabled by the expansion of government, not its restraint. It was government that legitimized slavery in spite of the very notion running counter to the underpinning concepts outlined in the Founding Documents.

Government is a lot like water. Yes, we need it to survive, but too much of it is ruinous.

Vanian you are being extremely disingenuous if you don't recognize that both parties are statist and both parties are pro expansion of government. I even through you a like to chill your ass out but I guess it would have failed on MWCboard's resident Sheldon. 

5 hours ago, happycamper said:

One difference is nearly 10 trillion and a decade of printing cheap money to prime the economy to get where we were in 2006.