Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

Bowl brawl suspensions

You say "message" as if it is authoritative?  I think it is and will remain a big deal to those who want to make a big deal out of it.  There are plenty of other storylines to pay attention to surrounding BYU rolling into 2015 if you wanted to.  Why would a coach sacrifice the game strategy at the start of a new season to appease people in the media who will criticize anyway? 

CN1_OB1UsAAb8_l.jpg

Besides Taysom's return, this is likely the biggest storyline of week 1 pertaining to your team.  The national media isn't waiting for lil ass BYU to fall on it's sword..  A large incident took place, and it was tight lipped in Provo, they kept it a story.  This was a move-on issue, but for the silence.  We had some other crazy storylines that cleared up first (Dak's spring break, for example).

What are you talking about?  Your axe is grinding.

This did make me laugh out loud though (it's making the rounds on twitter this morning):

CN6mw08UwAAoyih.jpg

And here I thought the Church viewed BYU Football as one of it's most effective "Missionary Resources" 

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

So ultimately you believe that strategy and winning games are more important that showing leadership and accountability through transparency and discipline? That's fine ... but you can no longer hold BYU out as some bastion of moral character and higher purpose as plainly what counts at BYU is strategy and getting the win no matter the process or how it reflects on the school (or the Church).

I'd be VERY careful if I were you HighNTight_SD!

http://i.imgur.com/v3SCbp7.mp4

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

Besides Taysom's return, this is likely the biggest storyline of week 1 pertaining to your team.  The national media isn't waiting for lil ass BYU to fall on it's sword..  A large incident took place, and it was tight lipped in Provo, they kept it a story.  This was a move-on issue, but for the silence.  We had some other crazy storylines that cleared up first (Dak's spring break, for example).

I've seen stories about how Mike Riley will fare in his first game at Nebraska, the return of Taysom Hill, BYU's tough early schedule to the 2015 season with among the toughest starts in college football, if BYU can prove itself a worthy expansion candidate to the Big 12 since they are using the season to further evaluate candidates, a story about how the game could be "ugly" as both teams have several missing due to suspensions, and Monson's article about how it is BYU's fault that the brawl remains in the forefront.  So if this means people will talk about the brawl for another week, so be it.  Those who dislike BYU will use it as another reason to show why they don't like them.  I really don't think everyone else really cares all that much.  Unless you are trying to convince me that all of college football is watching and caring what "lil ass BYU" is doing.  That would be interesting if that is what you are claiming.

And where have you heard about the brawl and/or suspensions other than mwcboard this week?

I've seen stories about how Mike Riley will fare in his first game at Nebraska, the return of Taysom Hill, BYU's tough early schedule to the 2015 season with among the toughest starts in college football, if BYU can prove itself a worthy expansion candidate to the Big 12 since they are using the season to further evaluate candidates, a story about how the game could be "ugly" as both teams have several missing due to suspensions, and Monson's article about how it is BYU's fault that the brawl remains in the forefront.  So if this means people will talk about the brawl for another week, so be it.  Those who dislike BYU will use it as another reason to show why they don't like them.  I really don't think everyone else really cares all that much.  Unless you are trying to convince me that all of college football is watching and caring what "lil ass BYU" is doing.  That would be interesting if that is what you are claiming.

I think many don't care, at all.  Just like many don't care, at all, about anything else about BYU.  If the school gets mentioned though, two things stick out:  the kid who tore up Texas, and the brawl (and what happened with that?).

I think many don't care, at all.  Just like many don't care, at all, about anything else about BYU.  If the school gets mentioned though, two things stick out:  the kid who tore up Texas, and the brawl (and what happened with that?).

So then you do admit that it is just you, and people like you who don't like BYU anyway.  So the point is moot, right?

And where have you heard about the brawl and/or suspensions other than mwcboard this week?

I just posted about Memphis' punishment, taken from the AAC board, which they discuss the other side of the coin.  You can also catch it on the rant under the More Sports Board.

I don't read the AAC board and I bet most other people don't, either. Do you read it regularly or did the posts here cause you to seek it out?  

I don't think that this is on the consciousness of the national sports scene.

I don't read the AAC board and I bet most other people don't, either. Do you read it regularly or did the posts here cause you to seek it out?  

I don't think that this is on the consciousness of the national sports scene.

Some do, some don't.  You asked, I answered.  Not many read this board, or most other materials that bring up BYU either, so perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt, in totality.  Really isn't anything to get so defensive over in the end, right? 

Wow, so that douche-nozzle Nacua only gets one game for running around hitting multiple people in the back and back of the head??

That coward needed to be kicked off the team. At least he got his ass kicked by the Memphis player that was actually facing him. That was a classic punch that cut his cheek open.

yes, Nacua got the same punishment as the guy who suckered punched him first. Seems fair to me. Why should he be punished anymore than the guy who blindsided him first?

yes, Nacua got the same punishment as the guy who suckered punched him first. Seems fair to me. Why should he be punished anymore than the guy who blindsided him first?

Maybe I'm missing some video here but the first video I've seen of "Saint" Nacua is him coming up behind another dude hitting him in the back of the head like a corward. Then a big Memphis dude that saw him do it, winds up a hay-maker and knocks him silly while looking face to face with "Saint" Nacua.. Then he runs around like a coward with a bloody face sucker punching more dudes. 

Is there some video out there that shows poor Nacua as the "victim"?   

so what about the message or "opinion" as you put it do you not agree with? Are you saying that strategy is more important than transparency, accountability, discipline and leadership? I agree with him that Memphis got out in front of this issue and dealt with it, thus putting it behind them, while BYU's actions keep the issue in front of them and reflect negatively on the program and the school. This was not an private honor code violation -- this was a very public altercation. 

BTW, I notice you got in another attack on the messenger there too ...

I don't want to speak for the other Y fans. But I think the disagreement with Monson's article is the hypocrisy in his opinions about BYU. In years past he has chastised BYU coaches for going public with details around players who have broken team rules. He's criticized coaches for adding public scrutiny to players by announcing suspensions or punishments, etc. (see Unga, Brandon Davies, Jamaal Williams. etc). 

Then now a days he criticizes BYU for keeping things in house, and trying to avoid public scrutiny for the players? Monson can't have it both ways. BYU is in a lose-lose situation when it comes to disciplining athletes. Either they're too harsh for publicizing details or they're too private and restrictive by keeping it in-house. 

I personally love the way BYU is handling it. The media and opposing teams don't have a right to know any of the specific details. It's none of their business. Flame away. 

Maybe I'm missing some video here but the first video I've seen of "Saint" Nacua is him coming up behind another dude hitting him in the back of the head like a corward. Then a big Memphis dude that saw him do it, winds up a hay-maker and knocks him silly while looking face to face with "Saint" Nacua.. They he runs around like a coward with a bloody face sucker punching more dudes. 

Is there some video out there that shows poor Nacua as the "victim"?   

yes there is. I'll let you go find it. It's common knowledge for those who have tracked the fight details. 

I don't want to speak for the other Y fans. But I think the disagreement with Monson's article is the hypocrisy in his optioning about BYU. In years past he has chastised BYU coaches for going public with details around players who have broken team rules. He's criticized coaches for adding public scrutiny to players by announcing suspensions or punishments, etc. (see Unga, Brandon Davies, Jamaal Williams. etc). 

Then now a days he criticizes BYU for keeping things in house, and trying to avoid public scrutiny for the players? Monson can't have it both ways. BYU is in a lose-lose situation when it comes to disciplining athletes. Either they're too harsh for publicizing details or they're too private and restrictive by keeping it in-house. 

I personally love the way BYU is handling it. The media and opposing teams don't have a right to know any of the specific details. It's none of their business. Flame away. 

I believe he addresses that issue very well ...

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2900316-155/monson-byus-actions-ensure-that-miami?fullpage=1

When BYU decided to no longer discuss honor code violations, choosing instead to keep those violations private, it was a great move. Most honor code issues are private in nature and properly can and should be handled, at least from an LDS Church standpoint, by an ecclesiastical leader who helps an individual where and how he can and keeps his mouth shut.

That's the way it ought to be. But the Miami Beach Bowl brawl was a public thing. It happened in front of everyone. Treating that as a private matter is naïve and wrong-minded and, as mentioned, makes both the institution and the players who made their mistakes look irresponsible.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

it's called gamesmanship. All the best coaches do it. It's the same reason Urban holds off on naming a starting QB some years until game day. Get over it. Bronco's responsibility is to his players, to put them in the best strategic situation to win. Mike Riley is familiar with our personnel on the field. Keeping it private until game time is common and I'm glad Bronco is playing that game. It's the same reason KW never talks about injuries to.his players.