Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

Bowl brawl suspensions

I'll give it one more try that hopefully stays on topic since there is news on this front.

According to the latest from the twitter-verse, the BYU suspensions for Nebraska may be as follows:

• LB Sione Takitaki, 1 game (theft charges)
  • DB Kai Nacua, 1 game (bowl brawl)
  • WR Trey Dye, 1 game (bowl brawl?)
  • LB Harvey Langi, 1/2 game (bowl brawl?)

The suspension of Langi rumor appears to have credence because of this Jay Drew (SL Tribune) tweet after interviewing Paul Tidwell today:

Jay Drew 12m12 minutes ago
BYU LBs coach Paul Tidwell said JLD [LB Jherremya Leuta-Douyere] will start at ILB on Sat., then move to OLB in the second half. Probably means an ILB suspended 1st half

Of course we don't have information about discipline already dished out yet such as community service, fireside talks (j/k), etc.  But will be able to confirm this after the game when Mendenhall talks suspension announcements.

I'll give it one more try that hopefully stays on topic since there is news on this front.

According to the latest from the twitter-verse, the BYU suspensions for Nebraska may be as follows:

• LB Sione Takitaki, 1 game (theft charges)
  • DB Kai Nacua, 1 game (bowl brawl)
  • WR Trey Dye, 1 game (bowl brawl?)
  • LB Harvey Langi, 1/2 game (bowl brawl?)

The suspension of Langi rumor appears to have credence because of this Jay Drew (SL Tribune) tweet after interviewing Paul Tidwell today:

Jay Drew 12m12 minutes ago
BYU LBs coach Paul Tidwell said JLD [LB Jherremya Leuta-Douyere] will start at ILB on Sat., then move to OLB in the second half. Probably means an ILB suspended 1st half

Of course we don't have information about discipline already dished out yet such as community service, fireside talks (j/k), etc.  But will be able to confirm this after the game when Mendenhall talks suspension announcements.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2901735-155/byu-football-cornerback-michael-davis-faces

Any word on starting CB Mike Davis?

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

what about the byu kid who was charged with assault yesterday?

DB Michael Davis--specifics haven't emerged but the incident was around when his car was booted at a Provo apartment complex.  I'm not sure what the misdemeanor assault entails--and the the misdemeanor charge of rioting was because he had a friend with him--some of what I heard on twitter (take it with a grain of salt) is that he threatened to track down the tow truck driver's car and put a boot on it too.  That will be interesting to watch as info comes out..  He requested a jury trial and that won't take place until October 1st IIRC.  Even the jury trial would be interesting to me as tow truck drivers in Provo have a reputation for being overly zealous.  They sit in their car waiting for people to pull up at apartments without a permit and walk away for even a minute or two so they can snag it with a boot since they get paid per boot.  They have a pretty bad reputation there so how sympathetic a jury would be is what I'm intrigued by.

On the Memphis side, they suspend six.

*From AAC Board, don't hold as definitive

* LB Leonard Pegues (leg stomper): 1.5 games (Missouri State & 1st half of Kansas)

* DL Isadore Outing (punched out the sucker puncher): 1 game

* OL Nick Thomas: 1/2 game

* OL Michael Stannard: 1/2 game

* OL Trevon Tate: 1/2 game

* CB Chauncey Lanier: 1/2 game

* Noah Robinson: Off field "requirements"

* Chase Johnson (helmet swinger): No longer with team

* Tony Mays: No longer with team

* Martin Ifedi: Graduated

* Derek Howard: Graduated

* Tank Jakes: Graduated

* In addition to the suspensions, all players participated in mandatory counseling and additional conditioning.

* The seven returners were also asked to perform 220 community service hours. Fuente said they performed 326.

I think Hatfield would have been reinstated to Utah if not for a misdemeanor assault charge (which his attorney thought was bogus).  I think sometimes college athletes get the benefit of celebrity status with the legal system and sometimes they become a target for the legal system

Good read  ...

Monson: BYU’s actions ensure that Miami brawl remains at forefront going into season opener

When BYU decided to no longer discuss honor code violations, choosing instead to keep those violations private, it was a great move. Most honor code issues are private in nature and properly can and should be handled, at least from an LDS Church standpoint, by an ecclesiastical leader who helps an individual where and how he can and keeps his mouth shut.

That's the way it ought to be. But the Miami Beach Bowl brawl was a public thing. It happened in front of everyone. Treating that as a private matter is naïve and wrong-minded and, as mentioned, makes both the institution and the players who made their mistakes look irresponsible.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Yeah--Gordon Monson is Gordon Monson.  Enough said.

I see you attack the messenger, but what about his message do you disagree with?

The matter could have — should have — been attended to and announced long before now. Instead, when the smells of the freshly cut grass and the brats on the grill and the hope and excitement of a new season should be unfettered, the punishment1, the anticipation of the punishment, drags on like an anchor bouncing outside the boat.

It didn't have to be this way.

And that's on BYU.

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

I see you attack the messenger, but what about his message do you disagree with?

I think it's an opinion and he and everyone else is certainly entitled to theirs.  Personally I don't think its a big deal that they haven't publicly announced the suspensions and won't until after the game so that their opponent--one of their toughest 4 games of the year--won't be able to identify areas of vulnerability for their game prep.  Monson's reputation is of one who criticizes first and only apologizes later if he is called out (ask Utah AD Dr. Hill from about a month ago).  All the local fan bases have been upset with him at some time or another for things he says about their teams.

Memphis certainly has less of a concern since their players are suspended for their FCS game.

I think it's an opinion and he and everyone else is certainly entitled to theirs.  Personally I don't think its a big deal that they haven't publicly announced the suspensions and won't until after the game so that their opponent--one of their toughest 4 games of the year--won't be able to identify areas of vulnerability for their game prep.  Monson's reputation is of one who criticizes first and only apologizes later if he is called out (ask Utah AD Dr. Hill from about a month ago).  All the local fan bases have been upset with him at some time or another for things he says about their teams.

so what about the message or "opinion" as you put it do you not agree with? Are you saying that strategy is more important than transparency, accountability, discipline and leadership? I agree with him that Memphis got out in front of this issue and dealt with it, thus putting it behind them, while BYU's actions keep the issue in front of them and reflect negatively on the program and the school. This was not an private honor code violation -- this was a very public altercation. 

BTW, I notice you got in another attack on the messenger there too ...

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

Wow, so that douche-nozzle Nacua only gets one game for running around hitting multiple people in the back and back of the head??

That coward needed to be kicked off the team. At least he got his ass kicked by the Memphis player that was actually facing him. That was a classic punch that cut his cheek open.

so what about the message or "opinion" as you put it do you not agree with? Are you saying that strategy is more important than transparency, accountability, discipline and leadership? I agree with him that Memphis got out in front of this issue and dealt with it, thus putting it behind them, while BYU's actions keep the issue in front of them and reflect negatively on the program and the school. This was not an private honor code violation -- this was a very public altercation. 

BTW, I notice you got in another attack on the messenger there too ...

You say "message" as if it is authoritative?  I think it is and will remain a big deal to those who want to make a big deal out of it.  There are plenty of other storylines to pay attention to surrounding BYU rolling into 2015 if you wanted to.  Why would a coach sacrifice the game strategy at the start of a new season to appease people in the media who will criticize anyway? 

CN1_OB1UsAAb8_l.jpg

You say "message" as if it is authoritative?  I think it is and will remain a big deal to those who want to make a big deal out of it.  There are plenty of other storylines to pay attention to surrounding BYU rolling into 2015 if you wanted to.  Why would a coach sacrifice the game strategy at the start of a new season to appease people in the media who will criticize anyway? 

CN1_OB1UsAAb8_l.jpg

So ultimately you believe that strategy and winning games are more important that showing leadership and accountability through transparency and discipline? That's fine ... but you can no longer hold BYU out as some bastion of moral character and higher purpose as plainly what counts at BYU is strategy and getting the win no matter the process or how it reflects on the school (or the Church).

LBH45AqczF9hO5XyQxqE.jpg

So ultimately you believe that strategy and winning games are more important that showing leadership and accountability through transparency and discipline? That's fine ... but you can no longer hold BYU out as some bastion of moral character and higher purpose as plainly what counts at BYU is strategy and getting the win no matter the process or how it reflects on the school (or the Church).

What are you talking about?  Your axe is grinding.

This did make me laugh out loud though (it's making the rounds on twitter this morning):

CN6mw08UwAAoyih.jpg

CN1_OB1UsAAb8_l.jpg

Ya, no big deal....

byu-12-throwing-sucker-punches-at-memphi