Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boise fan

Cecil the Lion - What are your thoughts?

In case you've been living in a vacuum lately, an American dentist from Minnesota paid roughly $55,000 to hunt and shoot an African Lion with a crossbow.   He wounded a local feline celebrity  from a Zimbabwe animal preserve, and then with the guides tracked the stricken lion for 40 hours before finishing it off with a rifle.  The lion was a collared and protected head of a local pride, and there are allegations that the guides lured the lion out of the preserve before the hunter wounded it. The pride's cubs will now all be killed by a rival lion who takes control of the pride (as lions do).

The dentist has had big repercussions, having to shutter his business over the entire affair.  Is he the victim of "internet character assassination", as some suggest, or is he reaping what he sowed?

Or something else?  What's your opinion on it?

620.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/28/minnesota-dentist-walter-james-palmer-cecil-lion-africa/30785881/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/us/walter-palmer-whereabouts/

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

He sounds like a dipshit who payed a bunch of money in order to get duped into committing a crime.  Are there really people claiming he is a victim?

The outrage in the comments of those articles is delicious, though.  I love whenever idiots who say things like "gods beautiful creatures" get pissed off.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

People like that Dentist fund 100% of the conservation efforts in countries like Zimbabwe as will as in the United States.

Hunters are the ones who provide the vast majority of the money for conservation jobs.

All the morons complaining cry big bunnyhugger tears but then they drive their cars, use electricity, live in big houses, benefit from water projects, mining and farming.   Their livelihood destroys the environment but you don't see them paying any money to mitigate the damage or even understanding their impact.

I'm pretty neutral on the subject.  Kinda hard for me to be outraged over something I didn't even know existed.  The threats towards the dentist are uncalled for.  If he broke the law he should do jail time. But in no way should he lose his life. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

People like that Dentist fund 100% of the conservation efforts in countries like Zimbabwe as will as in the United States.

Hunters are the ones who provide the vast majority of the money for conservation jobs.

All the morons complaining cry big bunnyhugger tears but then they drive their cars, use electricity, live in big houses, benefit from water projects, mining and farming.   Their livelihood destroys the environment but you don't see them paying any money to mitigate the damage or even understanding their impact.

I agree, with your first two sentences.  However, this lion was coaxed off of National Park land, and then killed, even though he was tagged.  I don't know the culpability of the dentist, but the hunting party had at least one person guilty of illegal killing.  There are reasons that there are hunters down there, but they also are well versed in what to hunt, and the reasons why.  If he had any, and I mean any, reason to know that was a lion that was to not be touched, I care none about what happens to his personal life. 

But for those who whine about hunting tags and killing of big game in Africa (like the uproar over the TTU cheerleader), do your research, because like blues says, it is very well moderated, and goes back into conservation.

I agree, with your first two sentences.  However, this lion was coaxed off of National Park land, and then killed, even though he was tagged.  I don't know the culpability of the dentist, but the hunting party had at least one person guilty of illegal killing.  There are reasons that there are hunters down there, but they also are well versed in what to hunt, and the reasons why.  If he had any, and I mean any, reason to know that was a lion that was to not be touched, I care none about what happens to his personal life. 

But for those who whine about hunting tags and killing of big game in Africa (like the uproar over the TTU cheerleader), do your research, because like blues says, it is very well moderated, and goes back into conservation.

I agree with much of this statement.  I'm not opposed to hunting animals who know they are at risk of being hunted and where the animal is fully used.

I am opposed to luring unsuspecting animals out of the park and shooting them unawares.  Then cutting off the head to mount it leaving the rest to rot. 

I I don't hunt this type of animal so whether he should have seen the collar or not is a question I will leave to those with more expertise.

i'm not a hunter

i don't know enough to judge

i doubt he deserves the internet outrage that he's getting but he doesn't strike me as innocent and squeaky clean.  mob mentality stuff bugs the frick out of me, too, so i'm prone to stick up for him simply because reddit and every other outlet is losing their minds over how horrible a person he is.

Sounds like his guides suckered him a bit. I've never seen the attraction in trophy hunting (and I have a bit of a problem of hunting elephants and monkeys/apes and marine mammals; I think they're smart enough that killing them is a little creepy) but I have a REALLY hard time understanding the point of view of people who demonize it. Trophy hunters pay for the reserves that keep the species safe as a whole and, at least here, they're the linchpin of herd management. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

I would think some hunters would object to a situation where an animal had to suffer for 40 hours while being tracked with an arrow (or crossbow bolt - I've seen both referenced) wound before finally being killed with a gunshot. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

At first I wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt but from what I have seen he's a known poacher. In the US anyway, 9/10 of hunters are responsible law abiding citizens that are against poaching and understand there is a balance to the ecosystem that needs to be maintained. I don't have an issue with trophy hunting as long as the animal in question is being killed for population control for the ecosystem and that the revenues of the tag are being used to improve the overall health and balance of wild game in that particular area. For me personally, I hunt for cheap and healthy food and have nothing mounted up on my walls. I don't judge others for doing it as long as they're not poaching but it's just not my cup of tea to decorate my home like that. I also appreciate and agree with ECA's take on the subject. 

As far as stalking the hunter and threatening him, that makes these animal activists no better than the very person they proclaim to hate. Hypocrites. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I would think some hunters would object to a situation where an animal had to suffer for 40 hours while being tracked with an arrow (or crossbow bolt - I've seen both referenced) wound before finally being killed with a gunshot. 

Yeah, I think if you aren't sure you can't end the animal then and there, you shouldn't take the shot.

I hate how people on the internet feel the need to continually disparage the guy and try to take away his livelihood.  The guy killed an animal.  This happens every day throughout the world.  Was it illegal?  I don't know.  I don't suppose to know the laws there.  It sounds shady and he was convicted previously of some other hunting violation.  However, they only right people have to with regards to this is to choose not to go to him for dental services.  They don't have the right to try and ruin his life over this.  People still shouldn't be trying to find him and speak of killing him and doing all this other bullshit.  I hate the mob mentality.   

Regarding the lions that will die due to another male lion taking over the pride; who cares?  This happens all the time in the animal kingdom.  This lion was 13 years old, and would have certainly been forced out at some point in the near future.  That is an old animal. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Although 40 hours is a long time, bow hunting usually has long periods of waiting before the animal dies.  Although it may not sound like it, the gunshot was humane, given the likely circumstance.

Although 40 hours is a long time, bow hunting usually has long periods of waiting before the animal dies.  Although it may not sound like it, the gunshot was humane, given the likely circumstance.

I can't really speak to it. I only shoot at ranges. Just seems pretty cruel.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

Probably shouldn't be hunting endangered big cats in general but the outrage is ridiculous. 3x more coverage on Cecil than on the Planned Parenthood brokerage of fetal parts on the major networks. I get it, we like animals better than fetus'.

Probably shouldn't be hunting endangered big cats in general but the outrage is ridiculous. 3x more coverage on Cecil than on the Planned Parenthood brokerage of fetal parts on the major networks. I get it, we like animals better than fetus'.

What he did was inexcusable. He needs to be subject to Zimbabwe's death penalty. 

Barry needs to agree to his extradition. 

So what if Euroweenies won't allow murderers of PEOPLE (US citizens) to be extradited here because they oppose the death penalty.

In case you've been living in a vacuum lately, an American dentist from Minnesota paid roughly $55,000 to hunt and shoot an African Lion with a crossbow.   He wounded a local feline celebrity  from a Zimbabwe animal preserve, and then with the guides tracked the stricken lion for 40 hours before finishing it off with a rifle.  The lion was a collared and protected head of a local pride, and there are allegations that the guides lured the lion out of the preserve before the hunter wounded it. The pride's cubs will now all be killed by a rival lion who takes control of the pride (as lions do).

The dentist has had big repercussions, having to shutter his business over the entire affair.  Is he the victim of "internet character assassination", as some suggest, or is he reaping what he sowed?

Or something else?  What's your opinion on it?

620.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/28/minnesota-dentist-walter-james-palmer-cecil-lion-africa/30785881/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/africa/zimbabwe-lion-killed/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/30/us/walter-palmer-whereabouts/

In a thread a week ago I expressed frustration and amazement over the shyt we choose to make our headlines when there are such higher priorities demanding our attention....

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Killing tends to be cruel, we all just find ways to justify it.  That is what I have found. 

Yep.  I don't bow hunt because I'm not confident in my skill to put the animal down humanly.  But you can end up doing the same thing with a rifle if you hit off target.  I've known many people that had to track an animal for 24-48 hours after shooting it.  The meat sucks then too.  On the other hand watching an animal die of starvation or from something like chronic wasting disease is incredibly cruel as well.....